How on earth is it possible to go years with no a single competent QB?

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
Holy cow.
Get a graduate transfer or a juco. Holy balls.
Just run it every freaking time.

How does Iowa State get a 5th year senior walk on that beats Oklahoma and TCU?

Here's the thing though, We've never had a QB and have won during the Kill/Claeys era. So that can't really be an excuse.

Leidner-can’t throw a spiral
Rhoda- backpedals when he passes
Croft- deer in the headlights

Did any of you watch the game sober? Croft had no time, got no separation from his receivers, and drops galore. Good god people

This is why Fleck is here. Next year will be better.

Offensive line needs to improve as well

Demry is alright for a Soph - we make him throw long out routes too much. Most NFL QBs have trouble with the stuff we make him throw. Dink and dunk/slants -> then take your shots over the top.

Here's the thing though, We've never had a QB and have won during the Kill/Claeys era. So that can't really be an excuse.

False premise.
Either you are saying what we had was good enough and you never wanted to try to compete at a higher level.
Or you are arguing that championships can be won without a quality QB, in which I haven't seen that.

Where did we find Ryan Cupito that time? Was he a JUCO?

Phil Nelson showed promise when he was here, but Kill ran him off. It's been a sh*tshow at QB since then.

Demry is alright for a Soph - we make him throw long out routes too much. Most NFL QBs have trouble with the stuff we make him throw. Dink and dunk/slants -> then take your shots over the top.

You are so right.

9/29 with two redzone interceptions is alright???????????????????

Wow, I can't believe someone actually said that!

It's eating my hat to say it, but with Mitch this year the Gophers would have won at least two, maybe three, of the games they lost. But the Gopher passing game has been in the 100+ listings for many years. It's a package - you have to have receivers as well as QBs, and coaches who recruit and use them. Croft is like a red shirt freshman in game experience, so he may yet improve. He was under pressure and his receivers were covered - many dropped passes tonight, too.

It's really been amazing. If you discount MarQueis Gray running a trick play with the Dolphins, the last Gopher QB to throw an NFL regular season pass was Cory Sauter...who was recruited by Jim Wacker. Even more shockingly, I believe Sauter is also the last Gopher QB to make an NFL regular season roster (not practice squad and obviously not counting Gray as a TE). That's quite a difficult feat for P5 college team that does not run the option to achieve. Iowa and Wisconsin, while certainly not setting the world on fire with their passing games in most seasons have had numerous guys make rosters: Stanzi/Beathard recently for Iowa, Tolzein and of course Russell Wilson for Wisconsin.

Maybe a QB can't make the right decision all the time but Demry makes way too many bad decisions no matter what his experience level. He'll get you beat. The starting line has to be higher. You learn from mistakes but you can't fix that many plays. 100% his receivers didn't help him on some of the throws. Maybe he gets better, maybe he's the nervous type, but I'd be recruiting more than one QB with a suspension to his credit.

Who's the last Gopher QB to throw an NFL touchdown pass? Hohensee(sp?) Dungy in mop-up?

You’re high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has any Gopher QB ever gone 14/44 with 3 ints and 1 TD in 8 consecutive quarters? Ever? But let’s keep putting him out there, especially when we have a chance to win.

My guess would be yes. Remember the Gopher football program is entering historic territory for Division 1 QB ineptness. What Power 5 team has a worse string of QB's over the last four decades?

Has any Gopher QB ever gone 14/44 with 3 ints and 1 TD in 8 consecutive quarters? Ever? But let’s keep putting him out there, especially when we have a chance to win.

It is confusing to say the least. Add in you didn't just suspend him but whatever he did was so bad he couldn't attend practice or team meetings for weeks but now he's a fixture and your unquestioned leader? Puzzling

Who do you want to play instead?
The former walk-on Sr QB?

It's a amazing just how bad our QBs have been the past 15 years. We haven't even been able to recruit a good one by accident.

Top Bottom