Gopher Media Day

After listening to the B1G coaches conference call with Marlene and hearing Marlene from media day tonight, Im guessing that the team will most like have Bell-Hubbard-Wagner and Pitts be 4 of the 5 starters since Marlene is dead set on wanting to go with a 4-guard lineup. Also hearing her say that Fernstrom, Edwards and T. Bello will be doing the center position "by committee", I'm guessing we have another season of changing the starting lineup based on match ups. I frankly hate that theory. It comes off reactive instead of progressive type approach to the season. Why react to how the other teams lineups are. Set a starting 5 and have your system imposed on the opponent. Secondly, is anyone else wondering why Marlene is so set on 4-guards? we have seen them struggle to rebound and defend already every year, yet she keeps banging her head on the wall with the same mistakes. All I will say is I feel her desire to not adjust her style and no consistency in starting 5 will be her undoing and lead yet another underwhelming season and hopefully her job.

These are probably our best four players. One year ago today only one of these four had played more minutes for this team than you or I have (zero). The coach is trying to make the team better and move forward. We should support that effort. This team is getting more athletic every year and that can only be a good thing.

After listening to the B1G coaches conference call with Marlene and hearing Marlene from media day tonight, Im guessing that the team will most like have Bell-Hubbard-Wagner and Pitts be 4 of the 5 starters since Marlene is dead set on wanting to go with a 4-guard lineup..

Yep, Bell-Hubbard-Wagner with Pitts at the 4 (although, I assume that Kaposi will probably start against Lehigh). I'm fine with four guards; but I hope the reason for Pitts playing the four is that she's one of those roam the court, hard to guard, aggressive rebounding, three point shooting fours and not because she got out played by the other five guards.

As with Pitts, I hope Taiye playing the five is because she really good under the hoop (I liked her there last season) and not because Edwards and Fernstrom continue having problems defending tall mobile posts.

Top Bottom