***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT IOWA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

He's a QB playing for a B1G team. He needs to make a throw. We aren't going to drive 80 yards without any timeouts by throwing 5 yard passes.

Croft was a bit late on almost every one of his throws. Too bad his best throw may have been to Woz, and Woz did his best impersonation of MJ by moon walking to the ball instead of running through the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post nails it.

Yeah I don't know what he wants there. There wasn't enough time left to just keep throwing it short. Needed to throw it downfield. Williams was open too.

Throw it downfield after you get the first down. The analyst even questioned why.

Everyone seems to think this is all on Croft. But, seems to forget the coach called his number to throw the ball multiple times on third and fourth and short in the redzone with an offense that was running the ball very effectively. They came away with zero points and lost by a TD.

Croft was bad, but they still should've won the game despite him.

Proven results at previous stop

We certainly have the worst set of receivers in the Big Ten. No separation. Dropped balls that should have been caught. Not sold on Simon - the receivers coach. And yes I know, he supposedly created the best receiver in W. Michiga n history. Still not sure who we will beat yet this year. Looks like my football bowl savings account will continue to draw 1.5 % interest until ??.

Why take a sack on 4th down???????????????? At least throw it up for grabs and hope for a catch or interference. I can’t watch Croft anymore

Why take a sack on 4th down???????????????? At least throw it up for grabs and hope for a catch or interference. I can’t watch Croft anymore

It's like throwing it out of the end zone on a two-point conversion attempt. Total lack of situational awareness.

We certainly have the worst set of receivers in the Big Ten. No separation. Dropped balls that should have been caught. Not sold on Simon - the receivers coach. And yes I know, he supposedly created the best receiver in W. Michiga n history. Still not sure who we will beat yet this year. Looks like my football bowl savings account will continue to draw 1.5 % interest until ??.

U kidding?
Simon can't make something from nothing. He created Tyler Johnson after claeys did nothing w him last yr

Get a clue. This place after losses is nothing but irrational negativity. This team has 4 close conference losses. Give Fleck time he’ll deliver.

Yeah I'm negative. We've had at least 3 losses that should have been wins. For sure Maryland and Purdue, and either Michigan State or Iowa. This staff seems all flash and no substance to me. We'll see how many of these hotshot 18 year old recruits sign when we finish the B1G with one win. I'm just being a realist. Hopefully I'm just an old dog who doesn't know how kids think nowadays. I hope I'm wrong.

Get a clue. This place after losses is nothing but irrational negativity. This team has 4 close conference losses. Give Fleck time he’ll deliver.

The negativity is based on actual results, though. That's the irrational side of this debate?

I'd find it hard to believe that anyone wants the guy fired. He's taking his lumps, and is rightfully getting criticized. What do you want people to say?

Of course it's irrational negativity after a loss. It is a fan(atic) message board. Fleck may very well deliver - this season isn't encouraging of that, but certainly not definitive. The certainty he will is based on nothing but hope tho - you are the irrational one on that. His proven results consisted of beating IL, jNW, and MAC teams. Hell, we did that last year.

3rd Down and 4 to go... Croft throws an 20 yard incompletion. Why? As a Coach, why don't you call a bootleg and have a TE run to the side? If he's not open, at least Croft could continue running and get the first down. Nope.... The coaching staff didn't do that. 4th down, Croft had no chance.

I’ve got Croft at 32/76 for 42%.

Rhoda 59/109 54%

PJ, go back to your initial thinking. Play both! Croft is the worst Gopher starter I’ve ever seen.

The negativity is based on actual results, though. That's the irrational side of this debate?

I'd find it hard to believe that anyone wants the guy fired. He's taking his lumps, and is rightfully getting criticized. What do you want people to say?
I want people to have perspective that’s all and this board has very little and is not representative of a rational fan.

I totally disagree with anyone blaming the coaches for this loss. That was a really well coached game on both sides of the ball. On offense, Ciarroccca did a nice job of getting Demry in manageable situations despite his limitations as a QB. I though our offense looked better than Iowa's and that was with some really inept QB play. The worst play of the night was probably Demry taking that sack when we were down 7 and had the ball around midfield. He literally had no reason to leave the pocket.

Some things that stood out:

1. Wozniak- I don't think I will ever forget Wozniak's failure to secure that TD. Great decision to go for it, nice play call....and your Senior TE turns around and starts shuffling backwards instead of running. As for Croft throwing a high soft pass? Refer to his first pass of the game to Wozniak where a ball with some pace literally hit him in the shoulder pads before he could get his hands on it.

2. Lack of team speed: A beautiful play call by Ciarrocca gets Mark Williams lined up with an LB on an out and up with NOBODY behind him. That has to be a TD. Instead Williams is not even open and it's an incompletion. Then you have Tyler Johnson running with a piano on his back getting caught by 3 different Iowa defenders. At Purdue we saw Brooks get caught from behind and then Eric Carter literally get out ran by a 6'2 260 LB. This has to change.

3. Justus Harris: Gave up the two biggest plays of the game in the TD to Fant and then the pass interference that lead to Iowa's FG to go up 10. I don't want to be a homer and didn't feel like we got a good replay, but that PI looked like an absolutely ridiculous call. It certainly appeared like Harris never contacted until the ball was literally on the ground.

4. Tired of all the "credit" to Jerry Kill/Tracy Claeys/Whoever: Iowa F'ing State has two bigger wins in the second year of Matt Campbell's tenure than any of the wins we've had in the previous 6 years (or the previous 12-13 years...go back to beating Ohio State for an even close to comparable win by Minnesota). Aim F'ing higher than giving credit to coaches for not losing to terrible teams. That's not about any one coach, it's about this program continually being unable to give it's fans even one special season.

While everyone argues the points of the game, I would point out that the big picture for this program looks bleak. We have eclipsed the losses from the last year and I wonder how this will affect recruiting.

We have no trophies from Trophy games in our trophy case. That means nothing to show recruits. Is anyone really thinking we will remaining trophy games, share your beliefs with facts from this season.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Of course it's irrational negativity after a loss. It is a fan(atic) message board. Fleck may very well deliver - this season isn't encouraging of that, but certainly not definitive. The certainty he will is based on nothing but hope tho - you are the irrational one on that. His proven results consisted of beating IL, jNW, and MAC teams. Hell, we did that last year.

This..............He has shown nothing to me from a game plan standpoint that is any better than Claeys....We beat 4 horrible teams and have lost to 4 average ones.....The beat downs will be coming next week and against Wisky......Hope is all we have....Better recruits, more experience in his system?, etc....Claeys could have gone 4-4 or better with Demry Croft.

Rhoda 59/109 54%

PJ, go back to your initial thinking. Play both! Croft is the worst Gopher starter I’ve ever seen.

Rhoda played more in the non-con. B1G schedule numbers?

They're both awful throwing the ball. Croft can keep drives alive and keep defenses reasonably honest with his legs. I may be mistaken, but this team couldn't run the ball in the B1G against worst defenses than Iowa with Rhoda.

I want people to have perspective that’s all and this board has very little and is not representative of a rational fan.

The perspective has to be the same as yours to be rational. I get it. Speaking of irrational....

While everyone argues the points of the game, I would point out that the big picture for this program looks bleak. We have eclipsed the losses from the last year and I wonder how this will affect recruiting.

We have no trophies from Trophy games in our trophy case. That means nothing to show recruits. Is anyone really thinking we will remaining trophy games, share your beliefs with facts from this season.

The big picture is bleak? It’s the first year of a new staff my god. Again this place has no perspective after a loss just none.

The backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team.

Rhoda 59/109 54%

Can we play neither (only half kidding)? Here are the scary QB Big Ten stats.
cmp att % td int
croft 25 64 39% 4 4
rhoda 16 37 43% 2 1

The big picture is bleak? It’s the first year of a new staff my god. Again this place has no perspective after a loss just none.
More like losses in four out of the last five games.

Can we play neither (only half kidding)? Here are the scary QB Big Ten stats.
cmpatt%tdint
croft 256439%44
rhoda 163743%21
What?? Now you are confusing me, those numbers are nonsense.

Top Bottom