P.J. Fleck has known this day would come: beat Iowa, win Floyd, please the people

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

They're separated by only 300 miles but seem to occupy different worlds.

Big city vs. college town. Hipster culture vs. agriculture. Young, energetic football coach vs. tried-and-true, consistent veteran.

And come 5:30 on Saturday evening, the worlds of Minnesota and Iowa collide when the Gophers invade Kinnick Stadium. At stake are bragging rights for another year and, of course, Floyd of Rosedale, the 98-pound bronze statue of a prized hog that will either stay in Iowa City or move north to Minneapolis.

A new chapter in the rivalry begins Saturday with P.J. Fleck in his first trophy game as Minnesota's coach. An Illinois native, Fleck was somewhat familiar with the fight for Floyd, but he made it a point to learn more.

"That's what this whole week is, is educating our players of how lucky there are to be in rivalries like this and educating what the rivalries are all about," Fleck said. "You're playing for more than just us. You're playing for the tradition of the rivalry — everybody who played in it before you and our team, and everybody who's going to play in it after you."

Fleck was reminded quickly upon taking the Gophers job that beating Iowa — and Wisconsin — should be atop his priority list.

"I can't tell you how many tweets I had, 'Beat Iowa. Beat Wisconsin.' That's all they said." he said. "And I had the typical, 'Hey, if you only win two games all year, make sure you beat Iowa and Wisconsin.' "

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...669843/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

We have a hipster culture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that it really matters, but the University of Iowa has almost nothing to do with agriculture. The ANF on their helmets is just a marketing tool. Iowa State is the school with an agriculture focus.

And I've been gone from the Twin Cities long enough to not even be sure what a hipster culture is.

Yes bring Floyd home. I hear he's not being treated very well.

Not that it really matters, but the University of Iowa has almost nothing to do with agriculture. The ANF on their helmets is just a marketing tool. Iowa State is the school with an agriculture focus.

And I've been gone from the Twin Cities long enough to not even be sure what a hipster culture is.

NM

Well, I am not sure if any of this is a sign of a hipster culture or D-baggery, but when I worked downtown a for a couple of years until recently there was a big uptick in young men walking around with handlebar moustaches, 1905 era sea-faring boiler operator beards, and lots of dumb vests, hats, cute little Mumford and Son's inspired booties, and overly tight clothing.

The next step was a bunch of flabby, untoned millennial types wearing super tight pants (hip hugging, way too much unpleasant visual information shared with anyone looking at them) and skin tight dress shirts (supposedly business attire) that showed all their flab and ugly torsos, and flat backsides. When I gain a little weight in the winter, I try not to wear super tight clothes that accentuate the flab. Oh well.

The third element on display downtown Minnesapolis was the 38-55 demographic wearing $1000 suits featuring old fashioned flood pants with striped "wicked witch of the west socks visible halfway up the lower leg. The pretentious Hubert White store in the IDS Centers was at the epicenter of this ShXXShow. If you ever see Lou Nanne on a local TV show talking hockey wearing some awful shirt a 77 year old does not need to be seen in, know he is a loyal customer of Hubert White.

Generally a clown show recently in Minneapolis, and I suspect in Iowa they do not dress that way or go to so much effort to look awful too much, outside of the colony of hipsters in Des Moines, who saw this crap when they visited all their Iowa Grad pals from Illinois that immediately fled to Chicago the moment they graduated.

My comment to my sister, who also works downtown, who was also annoyed by all this awfulness in the skyway, was that we should all just start wearing old fashioned farmer overalls to work downtown every day, maybe with a change of the shirt once in a while, like our farmer forefathers did. We would look no less ridiculous than the hipsters.

Well, I am not sure if any of this is a sign of a hipster culture or D-baggery, but when I worked downtown a for a couple of years until recently there was a big uptick in young men walking around with handlebar moustaches, 1905 era sea-faring boiler operator beards, and lots of dumb vests, hats and overly tight clothing.

The next step was a bunch of flabby, untoned millennial types wearing super tight pants hip hugging and skin tight dress shirts (supposedly business attire) that showed all their flab and ugly torsos, and flat backsides.

The third element was the 38-55 demographic wearing flood pant suits with striped "wicked witch of the west socks visible halfway up the lower leg. The pretentions Hubert White store in the IDS Centers was at the epicenter of this ShXXShow.

Generally a clown show, and I suspect in Iowa they do not dress that way or go to so much effort to look awful too much, outside of the colony of hipsters in Des Moines, who saw this crap when they visited all their Iowa Grad pals from Illinois that immediately fled to Chicago the moment they graduated.

My comment to my sister, who also works downtown, who was also annoyed by all this awfulness in the skyway, was that we should all just start wearing overalls to work downtown every day, maybe with a change of the shirt once in a while, like our farmer forefathers did. We would look no less ridiculous than the hipsters.

Thanks for the laugh. Reality is better than fiction sometimes. Except for the flood pant suits - those are cool.

Well, I am not sure if any of this is a sign of a hipster culture or D-baggery, but when I worked downtown a for a couple of years until recently there was a big uptick in young men walking around with handlebar moustaches, 1905 era sea-faring boiler operator beards, and lots of dumb vests, hats, cute little Mumford and Son's inspired booties, and overly tight clothing.

The next step was a bunch of flabby, untoned millennial types wearing super tight pants (hip hugging, way too much unpleasant visual information shared with anyone looking at them) and skin tight dress shirts (supposedly business attire) that showed all their flab and ugly torsos, and flat backsides. When I gain a little weight in the winter, I try not to wear super tight clothes that accentuate the flab. Oh well.

The third element on display downtown Minnesapolis was the 38-55 demographic wearing $1000 suits featuring old fashioned flood pants with striped "wicked witch of the west socks visible halfway up the lower leg. The pretentious Hubert White store in the IDS Centers was at the epicenter of this ShXXShow. If you ever see Lou Nanne on a local TV show talking hockey wearing some awful shirt a 77 year old does not need to be seen in, know he is a loyal customer of Hubert White.

Generally a clown show recently in Minneapolis, and I suspect in Iowa they do not dress that way or go to so much effort to look awful too much, outside of the colony of hipsters in Des Moines, who saw this crap when they visited all their Iowa Grad pals from Illinois that immediately fled to Chicago the moment they graduated.

My comment to my sister, who also works downtown, who was also annoyed by all this awfulness in the skyway, was that we should all just start wearing old fashioned farmer overalls to work downtown every day, maybe with a change of the shirt once in a while, like our farmer forefathers did. We would look no less ridiculous than the hipsters.

Post of the day. Thanks for the laugh!

Thanks for the laugh. Reality is better than fiction sometimes. Except for the flood pant suits - those are cool.

Yes, I have to agree those expensive suits were sort of appealing to me, mainly because they looked sort of comfortable with the "flood pants", which were actually pant like more so than skinny jean like dress pants.

I still like my business casual farmer overall idea.

"Big city vs. college town. Hipster culture vs. agriculture. Young, energetic football coach vs. tried-and-true, consistent veteran."

NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, WNBA attracting fan and media attention vs all attention on the Hawkeyes. Which school would YOU choose.

Get off my lawn,hipsters!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

"Big city vs. college town. Hipster culture vs. agriculture. Young, energetic football coach vs. tried-and-true, consistent veteran."

NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, WNBA attracting fan and media attention vs all attention on the Hawkeyes. Which school would YOU choose.

Yes, we get it. You don't have to post the same opinion 658 times in order for everyone to get it.

You might be surprised to know that some people find it appealing to live in a city with lots of options and lots of things to do. I would choose Minneapolis over Iowa City 100 times out of 100, and so would many other people.

Top Bottom