Wisconsin Attendance

lmh839

Reaction score
Here is an interesting video from Tom Oates at the Wisconsin State Journal talking about the erosion of attendance at Camp Randall.

Sounds like there is starting to be some concern in Madison. Lowest attended homecoming game since 1995. A lot of that has to do with Maryland more than anything but Oates has some good points regarding costs and game times.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Even for schools selling out every game... I think attendance is an issue for EVERYONE.

There's just so much media and entertainment available.

Even for schools selling out every game... I think attendance is an issue for EVERYONE.

There's just so much media and entertainment available.

Not to mention the annual seat "donations" now at every school. Pure greed.

Keep in mind that the lack of attendance at non-conference games he is discussing was 75K and 77K this year in a stadium that holds 80K. If your seating at 93% for your stinkers, it may be too early to hit the panic button and declare the death of college football. The Maryland attendance was 78K. Pretty damn close to a sell out especially if you don't sell all your visitor section seats.

Maybe because watching Wisconsin football is clinically equivalent to xanax for insomnia.

I especially agree with his point about game times.

I could deal with planning my day around either a 11a or 2:30p start, but if kickoff could be 11a, 2:30p, 3p, 5:30p, 6:30p or 7p how realistic is it to get a casual fan to show up when the time is announced less than 12 days in advance?

It's difficult if you live out of town and need a hotel depending on the time.

Keep in mind that the lack of attendance at non-conference games he is discussing was 75K and 77K this year in a stadium that holds 80K. If your seating at 93% for your stinkers, it may be too early to hit the panic button and declare the death of college football. The Maryland attendance was 78K. Pretty damn close to a sell out especially if you don't sell all your visitor section seats.

Wow, slow sports news day in Madtown...agree, the visitor allotment turn back was probably the "good seats available" promo he heard. Click bait...

This entire thread has me laughing. Once again, we see just how entitled and used to success these a**holes in madtown are. Downright spoiled. I can't wait to see what happens when they inevitably start losing and/or don't contend anymore.

I especially agree with his point about game times.

I could deal with planning my day around either a 11a or 2:30p start, but if kickoff could be 11a, 2:30p, 3p, 5:30p, 6:30p or 7p how realistic is it to get a casual fan to show up when the time is announced less than 12 days in advance?

It's difficult if you live out of town and need a hotel depending on the time.

I can sympathize with the kickoff times issue. Driving 3+ hours one-way to every home game, we are fortunate if we know the kickoff times a week in advance. It can sometimes make it hard to schedule, especially for us with 6 tickets and arranging car-pooling and departure times for when everyone can leave work/life/kids etc. Sometimes dealing with all those difficulties do make me question how much longer I want to keep doing it being 3 hours away from the Twin Cities.

78 k...crap, to me that is a sell out---I know buckyville is always pissed at the students...one big empty space until the second q.

Maybe because watching Wisconsin football is clinically equivalent to xanax for insomnia.

Interesting metaphor. How would you describe the riveting, edge-of-the seat excitement that is Gopher football the last ten years?

Interesting metaphor. How would you describe the riveting, edge-of-the seat excitement that is Gopher football the last ten years?

It’s that drug where the side effects are depression and thoughts of suicide, and in some cases, delusions of RoseBowls.

This entire thread has me laughing. Once again, we see just how entitled and used to success these a**holes in madtown are. Downright spoiled. I can't wait to see what happens when they inevitably start losing and/or don't contend anymore.

Sure, maybe that will happen when the other teams in the West get a pulse.

It’s a better problem to have than losing or mediocrity, but Wisconsin and many other successful teams run into an issue concerning hitting a ceiling. The Badgers have good to very good teams, but for all of the Big Ten Titles and bowl bids, they aren’t a CFP let alone National Championship contender nor do they seem likely to be one soon. Basically, winning has gotten boring because there’s nowhere higher the Badgers can be expected to climb. The tension is missing.

It must also be said that certain Big Ten teams, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers come off as so generic and unthreatening that it’s hard to work up fan interest and passion. I’ll add that we are squarely in that category for teams other than Iowa and Wisconsin. I’m not sure how all of this is overcome in the short term. In the long term either Wisconsin rises up to run with the likes of Ohio State or it has a fallow period that when the wins return once again makes fans appreciate 9-3/Outback Bowl type seasons

It’s a better problem to have than losing or mediocrity, but Wisconsin and many other successful teams run into an issue concerning hitting a ceiling. The Badgers have good to very good teams, but for all of the Big Ten Titles and bowl bids, they aren’t a CFP let alone National Championship contender nor do they seem likely to be one soon. Basically, winning has gotten boring because there’s nowhere higher the Badgers can be expected to climb. The tension is missing.

It must also be said that certain Big Ten teams, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers come off as so generic and unthreatening that it’s hard to work up fan interest and passion. I’ll add that we are squarely in that category for teams other than Iowa and Wisconsin. I’m not sure how all of this is overcome in the short term. In the long term either Wisconsin rises up to run with the likes of Ohio State or it has a fallow period that when the wins return once again makes fans appreciate 9-3/Outback Bowl type seasons

???? They are in the drivers seat with a great chance to face Penn State undefeated in the Big Ten Championship and be one win away from the CFP. Which means your either in the CFP or likely get one of the top 4 bowls outside the CFP. That's a pretty high ceiling to hit.

I hate to break it to you, but 1st of all Ohio State is currently #1 in the East, so unless Iowa, Michigan State, or Michigan can beat them they are the winner in the east. 2nd, being in the top 4 is theirs to lose. Michigan might be a tough game, but (as much as I hate to say it) that is the only game I can see as a loss for them, but I still think they win. They have a real shot to be in the playoffs if they win the big ten championship, which I think they have a good shot at doing.

I’m not a believer in Wisconsin hanging with Ohio State and expect them to get run over. My take remains that Wisconsin fans want a level of success that the team can’t attain. There’s a longstanding sports business theory that winning regularly can often breed contempt and lower fan interest when teams can go no further and the leveling off point is both too easy and yet not enough.

Top Bottom