CBS' 351 Team Rankings

gopherguy15

Reaction score
CBS released their annual rankings of all 351 college basketball teams. I know there have been other previous threads about our non-conference basketball schedule, but here's where CBS ranks all of them for 2017:

South Carolina Upstate - 263
Providence - 26
Niagara - 146
Western Carolina - 318
Alabama A&M - 351 (dead last in the NCAA)
UMass - 192
Alabama - 19
Miami - 10
Arkansas - 36
Drake - 287
Oral Roberts - 289
Florida Atlantic 313
Harvard 91

The Gophers are at 13. Western Carolina and Alabama A&M aren't Pitino's fault. They were given to us as part of the pre-Barclays Classic. Obviously, nothing matters til the season starts, but let's hope that many of these mid-majors have much better seasons then the predictions. Go Gophers!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ge-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

CBS released their annual rankings of all 351 college basketball teams. I know there have been other previous threads about our non-conference basketball schedule, but here's where CBS ranks all of them for 2017:

Providence - 26
Niagara - 146
Western Carolina - 318
UMass - 192
Alabama - 19
Miami - 10
Arkansas - 36
Drake - 287
Oral Roberts - 289
Florida Atlantic 313
Harvard 91

. ... Western Carolina and Alabama A&M aren't Pitino's fault. They were given to us as part of the pre-Barclays Classic.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ge-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

Then who else's decision would it be? He signed up to to play in this exempt event. Part of the deal with these "2 home game, 2 neutral-site" exempt events is more often than not the 2 home opponents are going to be RPI-killers. He knows that going in. I would argue this year we're getting 3 crappy opponents (+ UMass) for only one good one (Alabama). Why not play in one of the good 8-team tournaments like we used to?

There are lots of exempt non-conference events in college basketball. What I meant was there was no way Pitino could've known that the home games would be against two of the worst rated teams in college basketball. I understand how it works, and the two home games are always against mid-majors. However, I'm sure there's quite a few mid-major teams in other exempt events that are rated a lot higher than our two. Unfortunately SS we have to get used to not being in those 8 team tournaments, which totally sucks. I agree that they are much better than the exempt option and undoubtedly more fun for the players and fans. If I was a coach, I would get in those every year I was allowed to. Pitino has already said he doesn't like those tournaments. So as long as Pitino is around, we're going to see very few participation in those events, or simply none at all going forward. Tubby seemed to get in those tournaments every year he could.

There are lots of exempt non-conference events in college basketball. What I meant was there was no way Pitino could've known that the home games would be against two of the worst rated teams in college basketball. I understand how it works, and the two home games are always against mid-majors. However, I'm sure there's quite a few mid-major teams in other exempt events that are rated a lot higher than our two. Unfortunately SS we have to get used to not being in those 8 team tournaments, which totally sucks. I agree that they are much better than the exempt option and undoubtedly more fun for the players and fans. If I was a coach, I would get in those every year I was allowed to. Pitino has already said he doesn't like those tournaments. So as long as Pitino is around, we're going to see very few participation in those events, or simply none at all going forward. Tubby seemed to get in those tournaments every year he could.

I'm with you, we got the bottom of the barrel for the exempt event, and I also prefer the 8-team tournaments.

Would really help having someone like Niagara or Drake be much better than expected. I know quite a few folks are high on Niagara's potential to make a big jump in the MAAC this season.

We really need a couple of these 250+ teams to have a better than expected season, because if not our OOC is going to get us killed come selection sunday. As it stands now our OOC is projected to be worse than Wisconsin's was last year, which is saying something, and look what happened to them in terms of seeding.

Providence - 26
Niagara - 146
Western Carolina - 318
UMass - 192
Alabama - 19
Miami - 10
Arkansas - 36
Drake - 287
Oral Roberts - 289
Florida Atlantic 313
Harvard 91

The Gophers are at 13. Western Carolina and Alabama A&M aren't Pitino's fault. They were given to us as part of the pre-Barclays Classic. Obviously, nothing matters til the season starts, but let's hope that many of these mid-majors have much better seasons then the predictions. Go Gophers!

Considering they finished with an RPI of 273, I would gladly take them finishing with a top 150 RPI, like CBS thinks they will.

Unfortunately SS we have to get used to not being in those 8 team tournaments, which totally sucks. I agree that they are much better than the exempt option and undoubtedly more fun for the players and fans. If I was a coach, I would get in those every year I was allowed to. Pitino has already said he doesn't like those tournaments. So as long as Pitino is around, we're going to see very few participation in those events, or simply none at all going forward. Tubby seemed to get in those tournaments every year he could.

Has Pitino ever elaborated on why he doesn't like these tournaments? Is it that you know who your opponents are going in so you can scout and practice appropriately?

Assuming last season wasn't an anomaly and we start to produce a team that is competitive year after year (and Pitino is still here) I could see us participating more often in 8 team tournaments.

per the link:

13. Minnesota Golden Gophers
How about the Gophers! Minnesota enters this season as a Big Ten title hopeful and brings back the majority of a roster that earned a No. 5 seed. Richard Pitino's probably had stress off the floor with all that's gone on with his father, but his team is going to be high-quality this season. Amir Coffey and Nate Mason might combo to be the best backcourt in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!

Has Pitino ever elaborated on why he doesn't like these tournaments? Is it that you know who your opponents are going in so you can scout and practice appropriately?

Assuming last season wasn't an anomaly and we start to produce a team that is competitive year after year (and Pitino is still here) I could see us participating more often in 8 team tournaments.

I believe he said he doesn't like the 3 games in 3 (or 4) days. Don't remember the reason why. My guess is he wants the 2 (this year) or 3 (last year) home games that come with the "non-tournament" exempt events.

I just looked at Alabama's schedule for the Barclays Classic... and wow, did we get the short end of the stick big-time!

Theirs:

Alabama A&M - 351
UT-Arlington (ended up being a huge boost to our RPI last year) - 102
BYU - 62
Minnesota - 13

Ours...

Western Carolina - 318
UMass - 192
Alabama - 19

We really need a couple of these 250+ teams to have a better than expected season, because if not our OOC is going to get us killed come selection sunday. As it stands now our OOC is projected to be worse than Wisconsin's was last year, which is saying something, and look what happened to them in terms of seeding.

I think people are fretting a little too much about nonconference RPI here. Nonconference RPI is important when you have a borderline NCAA team. It was important to Gopher fans last year because we felt we needed all the respect we could get after a horrendous season the year before. If this team really as good as we think they can be, then they'll play plenty of higher rated RPI teams and win most of them. If these rankings are anywhere close to accurate, there are still 4 top 40 teams in this non-conference schedule.

I have a different view. I see three new players if you count Davonte. There is also Hurt who could use some decent playing time early in the season against poor competition. Some lesser opponents could also give Bakary a little more confidence. Meanwhile, all the minutes that go to the five players mentioned above help to save the legs of the top five returning players.

I believe he said he doesn't like the 3 games in 3 (or 4) days. Don't remember the reason why. My guess is he wants the 2 (this year) or 3 (last year) home games that come with the "non-tournament" exempt events.

That makes sense to me considering we've seriously lacked depth. We just haven't been equipped for that many games in a short span. Related to this, injuries are also a concern. You're much more likely to be injured with high minutes in condensed periods of time, which is why the NBA has reduced back-to-backs. Tubby's teams lacked the star power, but I believe their solid depth is the reason we did so well in many of those tournaments.

3 games in 3 days is dumb.

Also a reason I don’t like conference tourneys.
NCAA tourney is 2 games in 3 days. That should be the standard.

I think people are fretting a little too much about nonconference RPI here. Nonconference RPI is important when you have a borderline NCAA team. It was important to Gopher fans last year because we felt we needed all the respect we could get after a horrendous season the year before. If this team really as good as we think they can be, then they'll play plenty of higher rated RPI teams and win most of them. If these rankings are anywhere close to accurate, there are still 4 top 40 teams in this non-conference schedule.

I have a different view. I see three new players if you count Davonte. There is also Hurt who could use some decent playing time early in the season against poor competition. Some lesser opponents could also give Bakary a little more confidence. Meanwhile, all the minutes that go to the five players mentioned above help to save the legs of the top five returning players.

I agree, winning takes care of everything. I don't see the Gophers as an (a considerable) underdog in many if any games this season. With a high quality team, let's just focus on winning and everything will fall in line. But yeah, if things fall apart during the season, then we can come back to worrying about all of this.

I agree, winning takes care of everything. I don't see the Gophers as an (a considerable) underdog in many if any games this season. With a high quality team, let's just focus on winning and everything will fall in line. But yeah, if things fall apart during the season, then we can come back to worrying about all of this.

The only kicker will be seeding in the tourney. If we're undefeated or near that I'm sure it won't matter, but if we have 5-9 losses it could be the difference between a 4, 5, or 6 seed.

The only kicker will be seeding in the tourney. If we're undefeated or near that I'm sure it won't matter, but if we have 5-9 losses it could be the difference between a 4, 5, or 6 seed.

Perhaps, but, historically, there is not a huge difference in tourney performance between those seeds.

First round performance:

4th: .792 (won 79.2% of time)
5th: .677
6th: .688

There is a significant difference for 4th in this round.

Second Round:

4th: .539
5th: .538
6th: .530

Virtually no difference between them

Round of 16:

4th: .341
5th: .143
6th: .343

6th has significantly outperformed 5th in this round and has a historical performance virtually identical to 4th

Round of 8

4th: .643
5th: .800
6th: .250

6th significantly underperforms the other two in this round. However, there were 12 6th seeded teams reaching this round during the time period measured compared to only 5 5th seeded teams. There were only 2 more (14) 4th seeded teams reaching this round.

The analysis is appears to be a little old (maybe 2009) but contains a decent sized sample and probably hasn't changed much since that time.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/conf_tourn_prevu_09/seedschart.html

Honestly I'd rather be a 6th seed than a five. Sixth seeds usually face bubble teams. 5 seeds face the toughest mid majors

Top Bottom