ESPN host on KU football: ‘the most incompetent thing that I’ve seen in major sports’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Kansas City Star:

Even Dan Le Batard admitted he didn’t expect to make Kansas football the focus of the start of his show on ESPN.

However, Le Batard apparently watched some of the Jayhawks’ 43-0 loss at TCU on Saturday night, and was stunned at what he saw. In case you didn’t hear: there was a running clock for the final 12:49 of the fourth quarter, so the game would end before severe weather arrived.

That’s why “The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz” opened Monday with talk of KU football. Le Batard wasn’t trying to be mean when discussing the Jayhawks, but he was amazed at what he had watched on the nationally televised broadcast. Kansas is worse than the Browns, in Le Batard’s opinion.

“Even if you’re tempted to say the Browns (are worse), the Browns played yesterday and were in the game throughout the game. And it wasn’t fun and exciting,” Le Batard said. “In fact, what is the worst thing in sports if not Kansas football?

“What I was watching, that I saw happen this weekend, is Kansas football playing against TCU, in the fourth quarter they just went to a running clock because TCU at one point had 450 yards in offense and Kansas had minus-12. It’s sort of like, you’re a high school team and you’re playing college football. ...”

It has been a rough stretch for KU, which is 1-6 this season and 3-28 since the start of 2015.

Le Batard noted the success of KU’s men’s basketball team, which has won 13 straight Big 12 titles.

“Kansas is a legitimate program in basketball and usually there is not this much difference, in fact, there can’t be this much difference between basketball and football at any school in America,” he said. “It’s not possible that there would be a bigger gulf at any school in America.”

Le Batard then called KU football a “nowhere tumbleweed program that has no chance. It is the most incompetent thing that I’ve seen in major sports.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article180555591.html

Go Gophers!!

Would they consider a coaching change or is the buyout too great? Jerry could get the band back together

With the emphasis and resources that KU puts into their basketball program, it is clear that the administration is not sports "unfriendly", so this is really head scratching...

I'm sure being on their 3rd coach since 2010 doesn't help. I think they've always had issues with keeping guys around for all 4 or 5 years. At some point they just have to give a coach 5+ years instead of hitting the reset button every 2-3 years.

If there was ever a program that should hire a staff that runs the option, this is it. Do something different, be able to recruit players that your rivals are not recruiting due to style. It may not be the secret to conference championships, but at least it could lead to respectability.

It wasn't that long ago that they had some decent teams. Pretty amazing how far they've fallen.

It’s their own fault for hiring the program destroyer - Charlie Weis. David Beaty inherited a program that was by far in the worst shape of any power 5 program - probably ever.

They showed signs of being more competitive last year but they look like they took another step back this year.

It wasn't that long ago that they had some decent teams. Pretty amazing how far they've fallen.

They embarrassed Brewster's Gophers in an Arizona bowl game after the 2008 season and seemed to have something going but their coach got in trouble for abusing players. I think this guy and Brewster had some connection after Kansas unloaded him.

Mason won there

....just saying

“Kansas is a legitimate program in basketball and usually there is not this much difference, in fact, there can’t be this much difference between basketball and football at any school in America,” he said. “It’s not possible that there would be a bigger gulf at any school in America.”

Not a good argument. Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, most of the top 10 basketball programs have had bottom ranked football teams (if they even have a division I team)and conversely Alabama's/Clemson's success in football hasn't made them competitive in basketball.

I'm sure being on their 3rd coach since 2010 doesn't help. I think they've always had issues with keeping guys around for all 4 or 5 years. At some point they just have to give a coach 5+ years instead of hitting the reset button every 2-3 years.

They fired the Fatman who had them rolling

On this date 10 years ago, Kansas was 8-0 and ranked #8 in the country. They finished the season 12-1 as the only Power 5 (then Power 6) team with fewer than two losses.

On this date 10 years ago, Kansas was 8-0 and ranked #8 in the country. They finished the season 12-1 as the only Power 5 (then Power 6) team with fewer than two losses.

They reached #2 that year!

Didn't beat anybody, though.

Not a good argument. Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, most of the top 10 basketball programs have had bottom ranked football teams (if they even have a division I team)and conversely Alabama's/Clemson's success in football hasn't made them competitive in basketball.

Huh? Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina are mediocre (at worst) in football (Kentucky is currently receiving votes), and Alabama has a 25th-ranked basketball team. According to the stats that SS posted the other day, Alabama would be favored against us if we played them today, and we have the #15 team in the country.

Looking at their seasonal records over the years, they have had a difficult time for the most part since the 1920's.

Just curious, but was their first coach, John Outland, the one the trophy is named after?

Huh? Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina are mediocre (at worst) in football (Kentucky is currently receiving votes), and Alabama has a 25th-ranked basketball team. According to the stats that SS posted the other day, Alabama would be favored against us if we played them today, and we have the #15 team in the country.

I'll bet dollars to donuts we are favored vs BAMA when we play in Brooklyn

Well, he was excessively verbally abusive to players, extremely verbally abusive to staff, etc.

Go Gophers!!

It's football not tiddilywinks. If you can't handle a little yelling from a coach you're in the wrong sport

His specialty was openly accusing underperformers of being gay.

My point was that having a top 25 basketball team doesn't have much relationship with having a top 25 football team. There are only 5 teams on both AP lists currently Alabama (my bad didn't realize they were any good), Miami, Michigan State, Notre Dame and West Virginia. I'll be more specific and less trollable in the future.

My point was that having a top 25 basketball team doesn't have much relationship with having a top 25 football team. There are only 5 teams on both AP lists currently Alabama (my bad didn't realize they were any good), Miami, Michigan State, Notre Dame and West Virginia. I'll be more specific and less trollable in the future.

Refuting incorrect statements with facts isn't trolling, but whatever floats your boat.

Yet, KU still has won a major bowl game within the last 10 years (2008 Orange Bowl).

Top Bottom