OL Nick Connelly retires from football

This answers why his name is no longer on the online roster. Tough break. Wish him nothing but the best in the future.

Wow, pretty tough loss. Young player that showed a lot of promise.

Bummer. Enjoy seeing the local kids make good. That settles the whole "he had a severe concussion" issue that I kept seeing posted. It also brings a little bit of credibility to that usatoday website for injuries as that's what they had posted there. Best of luck Nick with whatever direction you go in the future.

Really tough lose. Best to Nick, he will do great things.

Bummer. Enjoy seeing the local kids make good. That settles the whole "he had a severe concussion" issue that I kept seeing posted. It also brings a little bit of credibility to that usatoday website for injuries as that's what they had posted there. Best of luck Nick with whatever direction you go in the future.

So what was his injury and is that why he retired?

The Power Trip morning show on KFAN (the new home of the gophers) made fun of him pretty hard for “quitting” the team this morning. Pretty disappointing to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Power Trip morning show on KFAN (the new home of the gophers) made fun of him pretty hard for “quitting” the team this morning. Pretty disappointing to hear.

Just another example of the double standard

Really tough break, he was an important piece on the OL moving forward. Another blow to a really depleted group. Hate to say it but it's looking like a multi year process to get a good OL together. Warriner has his work cut out for him to say the least.

Just another example of the double standard

They did bring up Norv Turner quitting on the Vikings last year too, so at least they did bring that up. It is different for an athlete to stop playing football due to injury though. I guess until we know more about the type or extent of injury it's hard to say what the motivation was.

I get a little sick of the "he quit on his team" BS. This isn't the Army. Nobody's life is going to be lost if someone doesn't show up. It's an F'ing game played for other people's entertainment. While I get it's a team sport and players need to support each other, nobody else on the team is going to chase around his kids if he is physically unable to. They aren't going to support him if he's unable to work. They aren't going to complete his degree for him.

Nobody knows what else is going on in his life. He needs to make the best decision for himself.

By that same logic, nobody should ever work for another company after they take their first job, nobody should ever retire...

I especially love it when media personalities, who are notorious for moving around, make those comments.

They did bring up Norv Turner quitting on the Vikings last year too, so at least they did bring that up. It is different for an athlete to stop playing football due to injury though. I guess until we know more about the type or extent of injury it's hard to say what the motivation was.

Norv quit for different reasons of course.

I’m pointing out (and this is as a fan of both team) that if Mike Remmers retired for the same exact reason as Connelly, whatever that reason truly is, they wouldn’t make fun of it or make sarcastic comments

Hawkey and Cove are such great authorities on this subject with Hawkey being a stock car guy and Cove not being connected to any contact sport as far as I know.

I get a little sick of the "he quit on his team" BS. This isn't the Army. Nobody's life is going to be lost if someone doesn't show up. It's an F'ing game played for other people's entertainment. While I get it's a team sport and players need to support each other, nobody else on the team is going to chase around his kids if he is physically unable to. They aren't going to support him if he's unable to work. They aren't going to complete his degree for him.

Nobody knows what else is going on in his life. He needs to make the best decision for himself.

By that same logic, nobody should ever work for another company after they take their first job, nobody should ever retire...

I especially love it when media personalities, who are notorious for moving around, make those comments.

Agreed.

KFAN is what it always represents...negative reporting in attempt to stir up problems. Personally I agree with Nick's decision. If he has health issues particular head issues. Why mess with it? You have a whole life ahead of you. The guy loves football so I'm sure it was hard to step aside.

Good for the kid putting his health first.

If KFAN treated the Vikings like they do the Gophers, they won't have a radio contract with the Vikings any more.

No doubt. He was just cleared to return....to class.

Not that it matters but I'm more curious than anything. You obviously know because you are either personally involved or know someone who is but the usatoday site and the story in the paper both said leg injury. Interesting that they are not mentioning concussion at all. I assume due to negative association?

Someone should call in and make fun of Meatsauces divorce

To me it doesn’t matter if it was injury/concussion related or not. I wouldn’t begrudge or question a player making the decision to stop playing. College football isn’t what everyone thinks it is going into it from HS. The time commitment is off the charts, most have to adjust their egos to being just another player where many were the best player on the field whenever they played in HS, etc.

Best of luck to the young man! It’s not for everybody for a variety of reasons.

Barreiro has mentioned this place a couple times recently. I heard him recently and he was defending the Vikings as being more successful recently than the Gophers. Gophers have a similar winning percentage, but the fact the Vikings won a 4 team division is what made the Vikings so respectable. Where the Gophers have never won the 14 team conference they play in.

Barreiro has mentioned this place a couple times recently. I heard him recently and he was defending the Vikings as being more successful recently than the Gophers. Gophers have a similar winning percentage, but the fact the Vikings won a 4 team division is what made the Vikings so respectable. Where the Gophers have never won the 14 team conference they play in.

Very true as they are playing in a four team division in a league with a salary cap where even the blind squirrel finds the nut every 10 years or so (with the exception of Cleveland).

Top Bottom