Dochterman: The day visiting Iowa fans infamously tore down Minnesota’s goal posts

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dochterman:

Fifteen years ago in the heart of downtown Minneapolis, Iowa fans became the most unwanted house guests in the history of Minnesota football.

On that mid-November afternoon at the Metrodome, more than 32,000 Hawkeyes filled seats from corner to corner. It was a generational tradition for either Iowa or Minnesota to end its season against the other and fans from the south often made a weekend of it. After time, the indoor structure was nicknamed Kinnick North for its boisterous complement of Iowa fans.

But Nov. 16, 2002, was a day that lives in Twin Cities infamy. That’s the day when the Gophers’ home finale turned into a nightmare. It was the equivalent of a teenager hosting a party and the rowdiest group of teens showed up in pick-up trucks and emptied the house of all edible goods and beverages. And on their way out, they broke off the front door because they could. And there was nothing anyone could do about that.

That’s what happened the day Iowa fans took over the Metrodome, charged the field and broke apart the goal posts. Even in a century-old rivalry filled with contentious moments and lore, perhaps nothing was quite as degrading for a home team as that day in Minneapolis.

The incident does beg the question. Would Iowa fans tolerate another school’s fan base celebrating on the surface of Kinnick Stadium and attempting to drag a goal post on to Melrose Avenue?

“I just don’t foresee that ever happening so no,” Iowa defensive end Parker Hesse said. “It’s hard to envision.”

“I don’t think they’d make it to the goal post,” said Iowa safety Amani Hooker, a Minnesota native. “I think they’d get stopped before they make it there.”

“Visiting teams don’t win very often in Kinnick,” Bowlsby said. “So it would be hard to imagine that happening. They certainly don’t get 32,000 tickets as a visiting team.”

Minnesota fans chant “Who Hates Iowa? We Hate Iowa!” at every football game, no matter the opponent. Their rivalry began in 1891, and they’ve missed only one season since 1917. But it’s fair to say the rivalry intensified Nov. 16, 2002, when Iowa’s fans became the rowdiest house guests in Big Ten football history.

“That’s what that rivalry kind of symbolizes,” Greenway said.

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/day-iowa-fans-infamously-tore-minnesotas-goal-posts

Go Gophers!!

All of the offense of this was mitigated by the fact they tried to take the uprights through the Metrodome’s revolving doors...

All of the offense of this was mitigated by the fact they tried to take the uprights through the Metrodome’s revolving doors...

That shrieking sound to get fans to leave is one I will not forget. We got to chant you are "stupid" at the fans trying to bring the post through the revolving doors.

What's hard for me to imagine is Gopher fans ever, under any circumstances, being this rude, disrespectful, uncivilized, obnoxious, and stupid at any visiting stadium. As a fan who travels to most away games every year, I am always respectful to opposing fans, and I appreciate that I am a guest in their city / stadium. From my experiences, the same is true for other Gopher fans who travel to away games. I have never seen anything to indicate otherwise. Never.

I've never cared that much about Iowa fans tearing down the goalposts that day.

1. It isn't unheard of in rivalry games for the visiting team's fans to do so.

2. I never thought of the Dome as the Gophers' "home." If those a-holes had wanted to set the place on fire, I would've happily provided the gasoline.

This is a part of why I say that the traveling Iowa fans are the absolute worst, hand's down. I've been told that those are not the die-hard fans who go to all the IA home games, but just those who can't afford to and come to the Cities as their chance to see the team live. Not sure I really believe it.

Every single interaction I had with IA fans at Gophs home games at the Dome pretty much went the same...poorly. Because they were almost always night games, those fans would come up Friday night or early Saturday and proceed to get completely s**tfaced throughout the day, then head inside to the game. Didn't help that the Dome served beer...probably a big part of the attraction for many of those fans. There was always an IA fan next to or behind me who could barely stand, but had multiple beers in hand...and this is before kick-off. At some point during the game, they'd either spill at least one beer all over, drop some sort of food (usually a hot dog) on someone in front of them, pass out onto someone, or puke. Anytime they opened their mouths, it was something incoherent, loud, and completely belligerent.

It's been a little better at TCF...

This is a part of why I say that the traveling Iowa fans are the absolute worst, hand's down. I've been told that those are not the die-hard fans who go to all the IA home games, but just those who can't afford to and come to the Cities as their chance to see the team live. Not sure I really believe it.

Every single interaction I had with IA fans at Gophs home games at the Dome pretty much went the same...poorly. Because they were almost always night games, those fans would come up Friday night or early Saturday and proceed to get completely s**tfaced throughout the day, then head inside to the game. Didn't help that the Dome served beer...probably a big part of the attraction for many of those fans. There was always an IA fan next to or behind me who could barely stand, but had multiple beers in hand...and this is before kick-off. At some point during the game, they'd either spill at least one beer all over, drop some sort of food (usually a hot dog) on someone in front of them, pass out onto someone, or puke. Anytime they opened their mouths, it was something incoherent, loud, and completely belligerent.

That's weird.

I've felt like Wisc fans were far worse and Iowa fans were fine.

Iowa fans always seemed like jolly drunks to me. Wisc.... it's that really dark bad drinking where they drink not to feel or think about life anymore...

That's weird.

Iowa fans always seemed like jolly drunks to me. Wisc.... it's that really dark bad drinking where they drink not to feel or think about life anymore...

I would flip-flop that...been to nearly every MN/WI game in the past 25 years. No comparison.

Most fans of college football who go to road games are great. Iowa fans that go to their road games are the glaring exception.

In addition to the goal post incident in 2002 and 55-0, last year they left trash all over the East River Flats. The last hour before we left was spent bagging up their garbage. Clean your act up.

well if you look at the end of the youtube link you will see them running up the stairs trying to take it out onto the street...until they realized they could not get it through the revolving door exit at the dome....

I find the Lois Feldman saga to be more memorable.

That's weird.

My experience has been that both fanbases wear their incredibly stupid drunken behavior like a badge of honor. They brag about it like it makes them better fans for some reason.

I was at this game and I was just so damn frustrated. I was sitting in the upper deck with my buddy and we were completely surrounded by drunken Iowa fans and I would say 90% of them had that damn Kinnick North t-shirt on with a picture of the dome. I was embarrassed that our fan base was so lame, then I was more embarrassed that the Gophers got their butts whooped. Then the next day I heard about the Lois incident not too far away from our section. Ugly.

Man alive I have been witness to some of the worst losses that one and then the time against Wisky when Maroney ran nuts all game and all we needed to do to get a win was punt the damn ball...we all knew how that ended. Maroney came over to our section (student section thanks to a friend) and all he did was look at us and shake his head like "I don't know what the hell just happened". So frustrating. That's why when it happens (you all know what "it" is) I will be all that much happier...more than most who don't follow our program would know.

I was at this game and I was just so damn frustrated. I was sitting in the upper deck with my buddy and we were completely surrounded by drunken Iowa fans and I would say 90% of them had that damn Kinnick North t-shirt on with a picture of the dome. I was embarrassed that our fan base was so lame, then I was more embarrassed that the Gophers got their butts whooped. Then the next day I heard about the Lois incident not too far away from our section. Ugly.

Man alive I have been witness to some of the worst losses that one and then the time against Wisky when Maroney ran nuts all game and all we needed to do to get a win was punt the damn ball...we all knew how that ended. Maroney came over to our section (student section thanks to a friend) and all he did was look at us and shake his head like "I don't know what the hell just happened". So frustrating. That's why when it happens (you all know what "it" is) I will be all that much happier...more than most who don't follow our program would know.

You’re thinking of the Wisconsin game in 2005.

This is the case in the dome with Iowa and Wisconsin fans.

I actually been to both 5+ times and never had an issue on the road.
At home I probably have had an issue with a traveling hawk or badger 80% of the time. Then the issue goes home to Plymouth or Woodbury I’m sure.

Top Bottom