Pioneer Press: Gophers RB Rodney Smith showing great vision in tough situations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Before it happened, Big Ten Network's color commentator Glen Mason called it "the play of the game." Afterward, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck raved about the main attribute in its execution.

Minnesota was facing third-and-5 and looking to break a 10-10 tie in the fourth quarter Saturday, Oct. 21, against Illinois when running back Rodney Smith took an inside handoff and sliced his way upfield for seven yards. It set up Kobe McCrary's go-ahead touchdown run two plays later in the Gophers' 24-17 victory over the Illini at TCF Bank Stadium.

"I think Rodney's greatest strength is his vision," Fleck said Monday. "He has incredible vision. That third and 5 toward the end of the game, I don't know if there is a back — not a back on this football team — that makes that cut and sees that type of flow."

http://www.dglobe.com/sports/4348717-gophers-rb-rodney-smith-showing-great-vision-tough-situations

Go Gophers!!

I like all our RBs a lot, but Smith is #3 on the (or at least my) list after the emergence of Kobe, who we all knew was pretty good even though he rarely played. Brooks is still the clear #1 when healthy.

Brooks is a modern day John Brockington. He runs too hard to stay healthy.

I love Brooks.

But he has not developed well.

I don't understand why.

I like all our RBs a lot, but Smith is #3 on the (or at least my) list after the emergence of Kobe, who we all knew was pretty good even though he rarely played. Brooks is still the clear #1 when healthy.

Smith is hands down the #1 back. Kill thought so. Claeys thought so. Fleck thinks so.

Top Bottom