BTN's Tom Dienhart: How good is Michigan State? Final Four good

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

How good are the Spartans? This may be Izzo’s most gifted team yet. Really. There’s Cassius Winston, Nick Ward, Tum Tum Nairn and Josh Langford. And Gavin Schilling is back from injury. Oh, and don’t forget about freshman phenom Jaren Jackson.

But, best of all, unanimous preseason Big Ten player of the year Mile Bridges is back for his sophomore year.

“I much more like the pressure because that’s better for the program, it’s better for the players,” Izzo said. “It means that we’re legitimate contenders for something. I mean, we’ve got a lot of work to do. We needed to get better defensively last year. Moving people around in positions, we’ve got more depth. I’m going to have to do a better job coaching them.”

Could this Michigan State team be the one that finally ends the Big Ten’s NCAA title drought that stretches to 2000? Yep.

http://btn.com/2017/10/24/dienhart-how-good-is-michigan-state-final-four-good/

Go Gophers!!

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I feel like Izzo's super hyper up teams always lose early in the tourney and the ones that actually make it to the final four were dogged in preseason rankings.

This 2017 squad is super nasty though.

This year might be different though. Often his super hyped teams are coming off a great performance and returning quite a few players. His less than hyped teams often have happened after those early exits with a team not returning there top guys. I'm not sure I remember an Izzo team this hyped after an early exit. But I think you're right KoolAid

Sparty has sick depth at every position.

My only concern other than Izzo not handing over the keys to Cassius Winston (ala Mateen Cleaves) is perimeter shooting. I think Joshua Langford and Matt McQuaid (off the bench) are the keys to whether it's a really, really good team or a national-championship caliber one. If those 2 shoot the ball well, don't know how anyone will be able to guard them with Bridges, Ward, Jackson, etc. Langford I think becomes a star this season.

They are basically a shoe-in to win the Big Ten. Also, they very well might go to the Final Four and win the National Championship. But first, that road has them going to the Barn on 2/13 and losing... :)

Great team

Definitely they have a great team and a great chance getting at least to the final four. They are definitely deep. They aren't the strongest in the backcourt; very solid yes. Great frontcourt and a ton of experience. Wondering about Langford and McQuaid's defense of a big time scorer like: Duke's Grayson Allen and Trent, Trier and Alkins,(Zona).

My only concern other than Izzo not handing over the keys to Cassius Winston (ala Mateen Cleaves) is perimeter shooting. I think Joshua Langford and Matt McQuaid (off the bench) are the keys to whether it's a really, really good team or a national-championship caliber one. If those 2 shoot the ball well, don't know how anyone will be able to guard them with Bridges, Ward, Jackson, etc. Langford I think becomes a star this season.

They are basically a shoe-in to win the Big Ten. Also, they very well might go to the Final Four and win the National Championship. But first, that road has them going to the Barn on 2/13 and losing... :)

This! Although, nobody's a shoe-in. They could underwhelm, deal with injuries, etc... I still believe the Gophers have a legitimate shot at the Big Ten title this year.

As long as we're sharing pipe dreams, I look forward to the rematch between Sparty and Goldy on an early April Monday night game. [emoji41]

I 100 percent agree about Langford and McQuaid being our difference makers this year. Bridges and frontcourt depth and length will win us a lot of games, but if those two take a huge step that could very well put us over the top. I expect a huge year from Langford. It was obvious that his hamstring was bothering him for most of last year. It was painful just watching him run last year. I know you can't take much from summer league but he was quick and smooth while running....no more wounded deer. This summer was McQuaid's first healthy summer so hopefully he can make a big jump also. I can guarantee that if Winston can play a lick of defense he will be the starter at the 1 and see a huge minute increase. Izzo loves Tum but he heavily insinuated that Winston was taking the reins. If he sticks or stays loyal to a senior Tum is to be seen. My feeling is Izzo knows that they have a serious shot to win it all so he will side with Winston.

As long as we're sharing pipe dreams, I look forward to the rematch between Sparty and Goldy on an early April Monday night game. [emoji41]

I would love nothing more. From my trips to big ten basketball and football games Minnesota fans rank right up there in my book. I like our chances to be 1 and 2 this year.

U's response should be: "Dad gum, no, I don't think so"

I say hang the damn thing back up. NCAA showed their true colors with UNC and that was much more egregious than Clem's deal

Yep.

What the University should do is quietly & with no fanfare put them back in the rafters & reinstate all records/stats/game results. Don't announce it or make a big deal about it, just do it.

Then let things play out. Let the local eggheads/academia/media in the Twin Cities have their moment & get on their high horse for a couple weeks by raising a stink, but eventually it'll blow over. And not just because of the Final 4 stuff, I also want to see Voshon Lenard recognized (once again) as the Gophers' all-time leading scorer. That's what he is. If all those North Carolina games happened, then all those Gopher games did, too.

When the NCAA gets a whiff of it and demands the banners & stats (etc.) need to come back down/be retracted, Kaler/Coyle need to sack up and say, "Dad gum, no, I don't think so."

Sparty struggles with Ferris State

Have never been one to put much stock in exhibition games, but Ferris State pretty much took MSU to the wire last night.

My (key) guys for Sparty, Joshua Langford & Matt McQuaid, combined to shoot 2 for 22 from the field.

Not a bad stat line for freshman stud Jaren Jackson Jr. ... 14 points, 8 rebounds, 8 blocks in 21 minutes.

Cassius Winston also had a big night, 26 points, 5 assists, 4 of 6 from 3.

Bridges a ho-hum 19 points, 6 boards, 3 blocks, and a fall on his head. He's OK.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/102617aac.html

Have never been one to put much stock in exhibition games, but Ferris State pretty much took MSU to the wire last night.

My (key) guys for Sparty, Joshua Langford & Matt McQuaid, combined to shoot 2 for 22 from the field.

Not a bad stat line for freshman stud Jaren Jackson Jr. ... 14 points, 8 rebounds, 8 blocks in 21 minutes.

Cassius Winston also had a big night, 26 points, 5 assists, 4 of 6 from 3.

Bridges a ho-hum 19 points, 6 boards, 3 blocks, and a fall on his head. He's OK.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/102617aac.html

The smaller schools generally come into these exhibition games like it's their national championship, the only time all season to face against the big boys. I'm sure Izzo played around with his lineup a ton. Bridge's fall was nasty though! I'm surprised he didn't have a major concussion from that.

Top Bottom