Gopher 2017-2018 PG Debate

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
Something am I thinking about as we get closer to the start of the 17-18 season is who should start at PG. I would like to hear people give their opinions about why they would choose who they did. It sounds like starting PG is going to be between RS-Junior Kenisha Bell or Freshman Paloma Gonzalez.

Who do you feel should start? The thing that stands out of Bell is she is extremely athletic and high motor. Some knocks on her could be high turnovers and limited out side shot at times. Like we saw last season, I feel she is a rollercoaster player. She can have highs where she is taking care of the ball and taking over but on the flip side, she can over shoot and now have any control over the ball. With Gonzalez I feel she is less athletic but I from what little we have saw she plays under control. She seems to be a pass-first PG similar to previous gopher PG Britney McCoy (if people remember her) and she seems to have a slightly more consistent shot selection and 3-point shot than Bell.

who would you like to see if you had to pick one or the other and why?

(I fully understand they could both start but I'm just wondering who people would like to see start at that ever-important PG spot.)

I'm sticking with Bell; but as Mike Thibault said during a couple of broadcasts, Bell's problem is taking one dribble too many. I'm assuming, of course, that with a healthy Hubbard and the addition of Pitts we return to a higher tempo offense.

However, in today's B1G interview Stolling's praised Gonzalez's passing and said she could play the one or two.

I am a fan of both Bell and Gonzalez and they each bring different talents to that position, but I lean more towards Gonzalez at the 1. When I coached I loved the kid that could see the floor, make the correct decisions with the ball, make the proper passes and get the ball to the shooters in their spots on the floor, set up the half court offense when there was no break, recognize the defense, call the right play and at all times control the ball. Bell is faster and quicker, but her dribbling the length of the floor becomes inconsequential with Gonzalez’s vision by passing the ball ahead on the break, even though, she is not as quick or as fast. Bell, because of her athleticism, might be better at the 3 with Wagner at the 2. Last year there were far too many turnovers. Bell could play out front on defense so that she could pressure the ball. Either way, they both will play. This group has talent. It’s just a matter of making the pieces fit into a cohesive successful unit.

I'm wondering how people become a fan of Gonzalez with so little to go on.

She's good enough to start? If that's true, where do all the other guards fit in?

I'm wondering how people become a fan of Gonzalez with so little to go on.

She's good enough to start? If that's true, where do all the other guards fit in?

For what it's worth, in today's teleconference Stollings said Gonzalez is a combo 1-2 guard contending for a starting position. I'm still assuming Bell at the point then Hubbard and Wagner. That would have Gonzales and Brunson coming off the bench. Stollings also said she was planning to reduce Wagner's minutes compared to the last two seasons.

Top Bottom