Gophers Basketball Preview, Prediction (could return to S16, may not match 24 wins)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Final Analysis 

Pitino, 34, has never coached as much talent as he has this season. If he pushes the right buttons, Minnesota could return to the Sweet 16 for the first time since its vacated run to the Final Four in 1997. But without much proven depth in the backcourt, the Gophers will again need to rely heavily on Mason and Coffey. If that duo shows any complacency, the Gophers may not match their 24 wins from a year ago.

https://athlonsports.com/college-ba...017-18-basketball-team-preview-and-prediction

Go Gophers!!

per Athlon:

Final Analysis 

Pitino, 34, has never coached as much talent as he has this season. If he pushes the right buttons, Minnesota could return to the Sweet 16 for the first time since its vacated run to the Final Four in 1997. But without much proven depth in the backcourt, the Gophers will again need to rely heavily on Mason and Coffey. If that duo shows any complacency, the Gophers may not match their 24 wins from a year ago.

https://athlonsports.com/college-ba...017-18-basketball-team-preview-and-prediction

Go Gophers!!

This seems like a bizarre take. We effectively had one player coming off the bench last year, and we'll have a minimum of two this year. I understand that he doesn't see freshmen as "proven", but at what point is a player cut off from being given the benefit of the doubt? Kentucky and other blue bloods are assumed to have immediate contributors, but others aren't? I understand that there's a talent gap between a top 10 recruit, and a top 50ish recruit, but is it so large that they stop forecasting any production for them? My philosophy is that a top 50ish coming off the bench for an experienced backcourt is a fantastic situation to be in. If he were expected to start from day one, I may feel a little different about it. Factor in possible contributions from Harris and Hurt, and I really like our backcourt, to the tune of best in the Big Ten.

Also, I loved Akeem Springs from a leadership standpoint, and for hitting some absolutely clutch shots last season. But, there were times where his lack of performance nearly cost the Gophers in games, i.e. Indiana where he couldn't hit the broad side of 'the Barn'. Basically, I don't see a drop off from last year, I see a much improved backcourt.

This seems like a bizarre take. We effectively had one player coming off the bench last year, and we'll have a minimum of two this year. I understand that he doesn't see freshmen as "proven", but at what point is a player cut off from being given the benefit of the doubt? Kentucky and other blue bloods are assumed to have immediate contributors, but others aren't? I understand that there's a talent gap between a top 10 recruit, and a top 50ish recruit, but is it so large that they stop forecasting any production for them? My philosophy is that a top 50ish coming off the bench for an experienced backcourt is a fantastic situation to be in. If he were expected to start from day one, I may feel a little different about it. Factor in possible contributions from Harris and Hurt, and I really like our backcourt, to the tune of best in the Big Ten.

Also, I loved Akeem Springs from a leadership standpoint, and for hitting some absolutely clutch shots last season. But, there were times where his lack of performance nearly cost the Gophers in games, i.e. Indiana where he couldn't hit the broad side of 'the Barn'. Basically, I don't see a drop off from last year, I see a much improved backcourt.

Apparently they don't think McBrayer will contribute much lol

Even though they mention McBrayer you would think that a rotation of those 3 guys is plenty good. Better than most. Now add washington, Harris , and hurt, how much depth they want us to have?

What a hack job. What would he even base the complacency comment on ? Those two are hungry as hell to win big . There are 7 players on this team that can really play. If they devote themselves to play tremendous team defense they can go a really long way.

Much more concerned about frontcourt depth than backcourt depth. No brainer.

Curry injury means minimum 1 of Fitzgerald/Hurt needs to be dependable contributor off the bench, not just someone in there for 2-3 minutes who's tight as a drum & simply trying not to make a mistake (Hurt last season).

There are 7 players on this team that can really play. If they devote themselves to play tremendous team defense they can go a really long way.

I count six for sure, and then four question marks. Need at least 2 of those 4 to pan out this year.

I count six for sure, and then four question marks. Need at least 2 of those 4 to pan out this year.

Murphy, Coffey, Lynch, McBrayer, Mason, Washington my six for sures. Then Harris and Fitzgerald are question marks. Konate can be effective off the bench, but he is Konate. Hurt is in another category for me...maybe if he is moved inside he can hold the fort there for a minute or two on the second opponent big, depending on a lot of variables? I'm curious if Rudrud passes somebody up?
Our front court depth is the really, really big elephant in the room...not possible wings....we got 8 guys who could steal minutes there regarding back court depth.

Wow what a take on the season - gophers could really excel compared to last year and make the sweet sixteen or they could revert and win less games than last season. I feel so much more educated about our squad. :rolleyes:

Wow what a take on the season - gophers could really excel compared to last year and make the sweet sixteen or they could revert and win less games than last season. I feel so much more educated about our squad. :rolleyes:

My mentality for most things is to assume people are trying to make coherent takes/have good intent in most things.

So, here’s the translation:

He thinks the Gophers are good, but given depth questions (maybe noted in the wrong area), it’s possible they don’t hit last year’s win total where they probably slightly overachieved record-wise...but since they’re still as good or better than last year and experienced, they could do much better in the tournament since they underachieved there.

Somewhat of a “cover all bases” take, but it’s in the realm of possibility for sure.

My mentality for most things is to assume people are trying to make coherent takes/have good intent in most things.

So, here’s the translation:

He thinks the Gophers are good, but given depth questions (maybe noted in the wrong area), it’s possible they don’t hit last year’s win total where they probably slightly overachieved record-wise...but since they’re still as good or better than last year and experienced, they could do much better in the tournament since they underachieved there.

Somewhat of a “cover all bases” take, but it’s in the realm of possibility for sure.

That's how I took it as well. I didn't find it to be outrageous, which I can't say about a lot of other previews I've read about us in the past where they clearly knew absolutely nothing about our team.

Top Bottom