Iowa predictions

Thomasthetank

Reaction score
Lots of variables in this game:
1. How does croft play. He needs to relax and step into this throws as he did vs msu. Iowa isn't going to blitz. They want u to make the mistake. Therefore he is going to have to make plays.
2. Can we establish run game early to open up play action
3. Strongside DE and DBs have to help in run defense or we will get punished...maybe play stelter or Moore as SDE.
4. Limit penalties. It's kinnick. We will be playing against the refs too on Saturday. They will subconsciously try to have any excuse to penalize us or not penalize Iowa ie 2015 game. We have to make some plays.

I think if do these things, I think we will be in it.

Iowa 24
MN 16

If Demry of the 2nd half MSU game meets the rushing attack of last week then the Gophers have something cooking!

Reality is that the Gophers haven't played well in Iowa City and Josie Jewel with return to inspire the Hawks to beat our beloved squad. Vodka Sam and Lois Feldman will be exchanging high fives but not before sweating out a close one. 26-24 Chicken Hawks.

31-0 Gophers. I predict the same score in Dr. Dons thread every week regardless.

Since this isn't Dr. Dons thread I do think there is a chance we could upset but I'll say 31-21 Hawkeyes.

1. How does croft play. He needs to relax and step into this throws as he did vs msu. Iowa isn't going to blitz. They want u to make the mistake. Therefore he is going to have to make plays.
3. Strongside DE and DBs have to help in run defense or we will get punished...maybe play stelter or Moore as SDE.
4. Limit penalties. It's kinnick. We will be playing against the refs too on Saturday. They will subconsciously try to have any excuse to penalize us or not penalize Iowa ie 2015 game. We have to make some plays.

Iowa 24
MN 16

Hi ThomasTheTank, welcome to Gopherhole. Not sure if you heard but we have a thread for every game called "Predict the Score", in which everyone posts their game prediction. Cheers!

Hi ThomasTheTank, welcome to Gopherhole. Not sure if you heard but we have a thread for every game called "Predict the Score", in which everyone posts their game prediction. Cheers!

Apologies. I will post it then

Apologies. I will post it then

No worries, just giving you a hard time for no reason. The Minnesotan in me who avoids conflict all costs cringed as I was posting my silly, unwarranted personal attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa 24
MN 16

I'm not sure either team will score that much, but who knows.

1) Minnesota's defense has been good. Iowa's has been a little better against a better schedule to date. Edge to Iowa but not by a lot.

2) Iowa's running attack has been pretty anemic this year. Minnesota's can be pretty good but can be shut down by a determined Big Ten defense. Edge to Minnesota but it's quite possible that neither team will be able to gain a lot on the ground.

3) QB Stanley has been pretty good (one of the better passing QBs in the conference) but their receivers aren't that great. Stanley shows very little inclination to run. Croft can't pass as well as Stanley but maybe can make some plays with his legs that Stanley won't. Edge to Iowa.

4) Special teams: slight edge to Minnesota based on punter and kicker.

5) Iowa is usually one of the least penalized teams in the conference but this year Minnesota has been better at avoiding penalties.

6) location: Edge to Iowa of course.

Hard to predict a Minnesota win but the game should be close (and maybe low scoring) either way. If Minnesota can shut down their running game and limit Stanley to the low 200s in passing and don't give up turnovers, we have a fair shot.

17-30 we lose in iow@ again. Sorry, just trying to have the closest prediction on the board.

Iowa 24
MN 16

Yes, officiating is the reason Minnesota hasn't won at Kinnick since 1999.

Lois Feldman....

In the bathroom....

With Colonel Mustard.

T
Reality is that the Gophers haven't played well in Iowa City and Josie Jewel with return to inspire the Hawks to beat our beloved squad. Vodka Sam and Lois Feldman will be exchanging high fives but not before sweating out a close one. 26-24 Chicken Hawks.

I general I agree with the post above, but some of the Iowa City performances were decent recently with zero wins, though.

the Mason Teams certainly did not play well in Iowa City after the 1999 win, and some very good Mason teams played well below their usual levels in Iowa City (and Madison) but the Brewster teams often hung around in Iowa City but never won.

The Kill teams generally pissed me off on my trips to Iowa City, but the interim HC TC team played very well down there in a 35-40 loss in 2015, vs. the undefeated Iowa team. I believe part of the beloved "grey" uniforms we saw vs. MSU may have been worn that night shortly after their debut vs. Michigan, in the dreaded night of the 15 second "shift" at the goal line that same year.

I generally dislike the gimmick uniforms, but I actually like the dark gray uniforms with the gold lettering and gold helmets. I think we should wear the anthracite pants again on Saturday with the gold or even goldy helmets.

As a follow I'd say the Mitch Leidner led effort in Iowa City (night game, "blackout") back in 2015 was the best effort in Iowa City I can remember since the 1999 win by Mason's team, and that only gets credit as it was a win.

That 1999 Iowa team was not good and Mason's 1999 team was very good, so the very lucky win that day was a win but that is about it. The 35-40 loss in 2015 is about the best effort I can recall in a very long time without looking it up. I found the Jerry Kill 2012 team's effort in Iowa City to be especially galling, as our emerging defense played like crap vs the run and the offense was putrid after looking good vs. Syracuse earlier that year.

Top Bottom