Pioneer Press: P.J. Fleck: Gophers will have three-back attack against Iowa

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers running backs Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith are expected to be available to play against Iowa on Saturday evening, coach P.J. Fleck said Monday.

Brooks missed all of Minnesota’s 24-17 win over Illinois on Saturday because of an undisclosed injury. Smith left the game in the fourth quarter with a potential head injury.

In their stead, backup Kobe McCrary rushed for 153 yards on 24 carries to help end the Gophers’ three-game losing streak. Fleck said McCrary’s performance earned him a more active role regardless of Smith and Brooks’ health going forward.

“We have a three-headed monster right now,” Fleck said. “… They are the best players on our football team, so you are going to see, maybe, some different things that you didn’t see last week.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/23/p-j-fleck-gophers-will-have-three-back-attack-against-iowa/

Go Gophers!!

In their stead, backup Kobe McCrary rushed for 153 yards on 24 carries to help end the Gophers’ three-game losing streak. Fleck said McCrary’s performance earned him a more active role regardless of Smith and Brooks’ health going forward.

“We have a three-headed monster right now,” Fleck said. “… They are the best players on our football team, so you are going to see, maybe, some different things that you didn’t see last week.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/23/p-j-fleck-gophers-will-have-three-back-attack-against-iowa/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe we see Rodney chuck that pigskin to Shannon coming out of the backfield while Kobe picks up the blitz. :)

Won't it be a 4 back attack? I've been hearing so much about the 'McCreary' guy on here...

I've covered teams that ran veer options or I-options. covered a couple of teams that played the true wishbone.

Basic ingredients needed: O-line that opens holes; a big fullback to establish the dive play; two really quick halfbacks who can hit the edge going full speed; and the #1 requirement - a QB with really good decision-making skills to run the show.

I always wanted to Gophers to break out the bone when they had Maroney, Barber and Tapeh.

I've covered teams that ran veer options or I-options. covered a couple of teams that played the true wishbone.

Basic ingredients needed: O-line that opens holes; a big fullback to establish the dive play; two really quick halfbacks who can hit the edge going full speed; and the #1 requirement - a QB with really good decision-making skills to run the show.

I always wanted to Gophers to break out the bone when they had Maroney, Barber and Tapeh.

As someone who coached the wishbone for 20 years, SON you are correct with some of your assumptions. However, incorrect on the Oline. Most Oline with the bone cut rather than move defensive linemen. For the most part, blocking in the bone, is far easier than any other offense. However with one caveat, tough to teach cut blocking yet teach pass blocking. Yet inexperienced linemen can have success with the bone. Off side is really just screening by stepping towards play side. Actually halfback blocking is probably more important than the Oline.
You are correct with the decision making with the QB. Has to be decisive in his judgment with quickness more important than size. As to the fullback, coaching can make or break this position. Angle of release.traps, belly action are just some of the things coaching can help with this position. Right now we have the running backs, the Oline, but not sure with the QB position. Rhoda no, maybe Croft.

If they run some sort of flex one or wishbone throwback with McCrary, Smith, Brooks, and Croft it's going to be pandemonium in this house.
That would be so fun to see even if for just one play.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

That's Mindy McCready (Hit Girl) from "Kick-Ass."

Maybe there's a joke I'm not getting, but Mindy McCready was a country music singer who committed suicide four years ago. Hit Girl was portrayed by Chloe Grace Moretz.

Golden Eye action? We need some Beebe and Kieft in to block as well.
I was one of the guys misspelling McCrary’s name in the in game thread. My apologies to the Beef!

Maybe there's a joke I'm not getting, but Mindy McCready was a country music singer who committed suicide four years ago. Hit Girl was portrayed by Chloe Grace Moretz.

Hit Girl's actual name is Mindy Macready. It's just a coincidence thatthe name shares a real similarity with the deceaded woman that Roger Clemens allegedly took advantage of when she was 15.

As someone who coached the wishbone for 20 years, SON you are correct with some of your assumptions. However, incorrect on the Oline. Most Oline with the bone cut rather than move defensive linemen. For the most part, blocking in the bone, is far easier than any other offense. However with one caveat, tough to teach cut blocking yet teach pass blocking. Yet inexperienced linemen can have success with the bone. Off side is really just screening by stepping towards play side. Actually halfback blocking is probably more important than the Oline.
You are correct with the decision making with the QB. Has to be decisive in his judgment with quickness more important than size. As to the fullback, coaching can make or break this position. Angle of release.traps, belly action are just some of the things coaching can help with this position. Right now we have the running backs, the Oline, but not sure with the QB position. Rhoda no, maybe Croft.

Agree about the bone. In the movie, "We are Marshall" that was the reason (easier for the O line) that they went with the veer. Like you said the off side blocking is easy, "Step play side gap." Another bonus is that two DL players (the guy assigned the dive and the DE) do not need to be blocked. Its a great goal line offense - Holtz would use it. Not a good come from behind offense - all the passes are off of fakes into the line, and when you are way behind the defense does not go for the fake.

per Greder:

Gophers running backs Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith are expected to be available to play against Iowa on Saturday evening, coach P.J. Fleck said Monday.

Brooks missed all of Minnesota’s 24-17 win over Illinois on Saturday because of an undisclosed injury. Smith left the game in the fourth quarter with a potential head injury.

“We have a three-headed monster right now,” Fleck said. “… They are the best players on our football team, so you are going to see, maybe, some different things that you didn’t see last week.”

Go Gophers!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but second time this year it has happened to him. Not good.

We gave the boot to the JC QB on campus with those skills....

So kinda related to the topic, kinda not but figured this may be the place to get some others thoughts.

Forget McCrary for a second, when we’ve had Brooks and Smith on the field at the same time this heat; it’s been Brooks coming in jet motion with Smith in the backfield. Does anyone else think it should’ve the other way around? Nothing against Brooks but Smith is the one I’d rather have out in space.

I’ll hang up and listen

So kinda related to the topic, kinda not but figured this may be the place to get some others thoughts.

Forget McCrary for a second, when we’ve had Brooks and Smith on the field at the same time this heat; it’s been Brooks coming in jet motion with Smith in the backfield. Does anyone else think it should’ve the other way around? Nothing against Brooks but Smith is the one I’d rather have out in space.

I’ll hang up and listen

One, I don't think it happened too often both were on the field together...one game for more than a couple plays? I agree with your thinking. I'd want to throw the ball to both backs way more than they do, but especially Smith. However, they don't seem to want to...maybe there's a reason? They both make people miss in space...just different styles. The Illinois Gopher offense with all 3 backs would seem pretty difficult to defend to me... especially with a faster pace when you are gashin' em. Smith would be in motion more for me too.

One, I don't think it happened too often both were on the field together...one game for more than a couple plays? I agree with your thinking. I'd want to throw the ball to both backs way more than they do, but especially Smith. However, they don't seem to want to...maybe there's a reason? They both make people miss in space...just different styles. The Illinois Gopher offense with all 3 backs would seem pretty difficult to defend to me... especially with a faster pace when you are gashin' em. Smith would be in motion more for me too.

They did that a few times Saturday with McCrary and Smith before Smith went out, then again with Femi-Cole out in space.

Top Bottom