Former gopher recruit Jojo Garcia passes away

We don’t know the details but I can’t help but think that the structured discipline atmosphere and being apart of college football team might have lead to a different outcome. I think that college football is special.
One of the things that’s not talked about. . . . . It has nothing to do with wins and losses. The impact of a PJ Fleck and other people associated with the sport can impact the lives of young people. Somehow it makes some of the topics discussed on here trivial.
Support the students, support the coaches, support college athletics.

That's terrible. If I remember correctly, a relative of his, maybe his father posted on FB forum after he committed for a bit. Seemed like a nice guy and Jojo appeared to be a good kid.

We don’t know the details but I can’t help but think that the structured discipline atmosphere and being apart of college football team might have lead to a different outcome. I think that college football is special.
One of the things that’s not talked about. . . . . It has nothing to do with wins and losses. The impact of a PJ Fleck and other people associated with the sport can impact the lives of young people. Somehow it makes some of the topics discussed on here trivial.
Support the students, support the coaches, support college athletics.

I love college football but have mixed feelings about this point of view. College athletic scholarships do help some kids attend college who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity. The structure and supervision of a CFB program may help some kids who would otherwise be at risk in their home environment. However, the big money, big prestige of CFB/NFL might foster an environment where certain kids are shielded from consequences of academic or behavioral problems because of their protected athletic status.

Is there a net positive impact for the dollars involved? For a select few, yes, but overall probably not.

I love college football but have mixed feelings about this point of view. College athletic scholarships do help some kids attend college who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity. The structure and supervision of a CFB program may help some kids who would otherwise be at risk in their home environment. However, the big money, big prestige of CFB/NFL might foster an environment where certain kids are shielded from consequences of academic or behavioral problems because of their protected athletic status.

This.

For all the perks, fame & prestige that comes with being a major college football or basketball player/prospect, there's the other side of the coin. The pressure, the social demands, the pretty much 24-7-365 commitment demanded by the sport & its coaches, people both telling you how great you are or how worthless you are (social media). ... it's a lot for some kids to handle. It's not for everyone even if the kid has the requisite talent. Big-time athletics chews up & spits out a lot of kids. It's a sad reality about DI football & hoops.

What an a#shole comment. Maybe read the rest of the post before climbing up on your high horse.

I did Dickweed. That's why I left it out. :banghead:

May his family get through this as well as possible.

Sad article in today's Strib confirms he died at home of suspected suicide. :( :(

http://www.startribune.com/onetime-prized-gophers-football-recruit-dies-in-st-paul-home/452794083/

A recent Twin Cities high school football standout who committed to the Gophers until a head coaching change died in his St. Paul home Monday. Jovanny “Jojo” Garcia was 19 years old.

“Sadly, it appears” that Garcia committed suicide, police spokesman Steve Linders said in an e-mail to the Star Tribune.

Garcia was a star defensive tackle, first at Cretin-Derham Hall in St. Paul, then at East Ridge in Woodbury. However, East Ridge had to forfeit all of its 2013 and 2014 victories because Garcia was declared ineligible following a residency dispute. He transferred to Simley High School in Inver Grove Heights but didn’t play football there.

Garcia committed to play for the Minnesota Gophers, but he changed his mind with the departure in 2015 of head coach Jerry Kill. He then revealed his intention to play for Iowa Western, a junior college in Council Bluffs. That never materialized.

The Ramsey County medical examiner’s office said Tuesday that it is awaiting toxicology test results before ruling on a cause and manner of death.

That's terrible. If I remember correctly, a relative of his, maybe his father posted on FB forum after he committed for a bit. Seemed like a nice guy and Jojo appeared to be a good kid.

I think you might be thinking of Jordan Hinojosa.

There is nothing wrong with the rest of that post. Nothing personal or otherwise. This is a Messageboard. What do you expect? And it's always the guy with a ridiculous amount of posts that feels it's necessary to 'keep everyone in line'. Turn off your PC and get some fresh air.

There is nothing wrong with the rest of that post. Nothing personal or otherwise. This is a Messageboard. What do you expect? And it's always the guy with a ridiculous amount of posts that feels it's necessary to 'keep everyone in line'. Turn off your PC and get some fresh air.

:rolleyes:

Suicide has to be tough for the family and close friends of Jo Jo. My thoughts and prayers are with you as to go through this time. Meanwhile I'm sure Jo Jo is free of the internal pains that he was suffering. We have no idea what takes place after someone commits suicide but I have to believe God is taking care of him in his own way.

Suicide has to be tough for the family and close friends of Jo Jo. My thoughts and prayers are with you as to go through this time. Meanwhile I'm sure Jo Jo is free of the internal pains that he was suffering. We have no idea what takes place after someone commits suicide but I have to believe God is taking care of him in his own way.

What crap. Is JoJo in a holding pen? What crap!

+1 well put

This is crushing. I hate suicide. What a tragedy.

I hate all the false hope that people project after a suicide - that his pain is over, or he's no longer haunted by his demons, that he's in a better place...the fact is that suicide means that a person gave up on living and threw away the greatest gift they could ever have received. Not to mention what it does to the survivors.

Suicide really stinks.

The intellect is strong with this one, clearly.

Simultaneously virtue signaling, slinging insults, and using emojis. The millennial trifecta.

So sad, RIP Jo Jo.

Man this is sad. I had been trying to keep up with his status, but at some point, the news feed just went dry.

I always just assumed this kid was gonna be a monster up the middle for someone. Seemed like the second coming of Trevor Laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom