Rodney Smith

John Galt

Reaction score
I hadn't seen this mentioned but thought it deserved it's own thread. Rodney Smith moved into 10th place on the all-time rushing list yesterday with 2373 yards. With 109 more yards this season, he would move up to 8th all-time surpassing Amir Pinnix and Tellis Redmon. He would need to get up to 2896 to pass Cobb for 7th, which is probably a stretch with 5 games to go but not impossible.

Burns also mentioned in his write-up yesterday that he's not counting on him to return next season. I was surprised by this as Rodney is a really good college RB but doesn't appear to be quite NFL caliber.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/rushers.html

Burns also mentioned in his write-up yesterday that he's not counting on him to return next season. I was surprised by this as Rodney is a really good college RB but doesn't appear to be quite NFL caliber.

Yeah that's interesting and surprising. I guess if he can get a NFL team to take a chance on him then why not. He's been here 4 years and RBs have a short lifespan.

Would also make sense why Fleck recruited two RBs last class, and 2 so far this class.

I could see Rodney getting drafted tough runner, underrated pass catcher as well. Like weather guy said he's been here four years and at the position a 5th year will only hurt not help his draft stock. Happy to be wrong though as Brooks doesn't have the best track record of staying on the field

I hadn't seen this mentioned but thought it deserved it's own thread. Rodney Smith moved into 10th place on the all-time rushing list yesterday with 2373 yards. With 109 more yards this season, he would move up to 8th all-time surpassing Amir Pinnix and Tellis Redmon. He would need to get up to 2896 to pass Cobb for 7th, which is probably a stretch with 5 games to go but not impossible.

Don’t think he would be drafted this year with the crop of other running backs coming out but I do think he is nfl caliber. He runs well and most importantly catches the ball very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a Junior. He's not getting drafted after this year.

I like Rodney Smith but I don't see him getting drafted. Yes, he can catch the ball but we don't really throw to him...is there a reason? 9 catches for 6.3 yd avg. 138 attempts rushing for 3.9 avg which is lowest among the 3 backs. Only 2 TD's. He bounces off tackles to get yards but he's not very big. He has fumbled more than once... (can't find that stat)
I like him but I'm not sure why leaving after this year would make sense...unless he's not happy...but he's got 138 carries so? I wouldn't say he has elite speed, but quick. Brooks won the kick return job.
Better chance to get drafted higher next year if we win some more games and he plays better. We do have 5 games left...so maybe he breaks out but...
Compare him to McKinnon...is it close?

Shelf life for rbs is limited. I was chastised for bringing this up a week or two ago but clearly the thought is out there

I like Rodney Smith but I don't see him getting drafted. Yes, he can catch the ball but we don't really throw to him...is there a reason? 9 catches for 6.3 yd avg. 138 attempts rushing for 3.9 avg which is lowest among the 3 backs. Only 2 TD's. He bounces off tackles to get yards but he's not very big. He has fumbled more than once... (can't find that stat)
I like him but I'm not sure why leaving after this year would make sense...unless he's not happy...but he's got 138 carries so? I wouldn't say he has elite speed, but quick. Brooks won the kick return job.
Better chance to get drafted higher next year if we win some more games and he plays better. We do have 5 games left...so maybe he breaks out but...

He's no where near the athlete that McKinnon is.

Would be pretty impressive if Burns has that knowledge.

For the most part I agree with you but he is listed at 210 which is big enough. His other measurables like speed and quickness would likely play a bigger part of whether he is drafted or not. A couple of drops here and there also won't hurt him since for the most part he isn't a fumbler. His average per carry may be lower but his carrys are much higher. Lets see what every ones average per carry is with the same number of reps. That said I still don't believe he would be drafted this year though due to the crop of other backs coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he can turn pro, he should.

MBIII made the right choice a while ago too.

Smith is better than his numbers suggest. A natural football player, if a little too slow.

Top Bottom