John Shipley: P.J. Fleck’s Gophers are not elite, but I want to believe

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

The Gophers are not rebuilding, they just looked like it on Saturday. Fleck and his team are, we’re told — day and night, whether we ask or not — rowing their boats to Elite City. But after nine wins last season, including a Holiday Bowl victory over a good Washington State team, it’s fair to wonder why they haven’t looked better doing it this season.

Fleck contends he builds his teams from the head down, turning players into gentlemen, scholars and athletes. What comes first is unclear, but let’s be honest: It’s encouraging, or at least charming, to hear a college football coach tell you he cares about whether his players are good people.

It sure sounded good to athletics director Mark Coyle, who threw a five-year, $18.5 million contract at Fleck less than a week after firing Tracy Claeys, a stopgap coach who wound up being better than anyone expected. In light of Fleck’s 13-1 record in his final season at Western Michigan, it seemed like money well spent.

Fleck’s act is difficult to swallow, especially in the duplicitous milieu of college athletics, but I remain comforted by one quote: “If you surround yourself with turds,” Fleck told ESPN last fall, “you’re headed towards Turdville.”

Truer words have ne’er been spoke. Let’s hope he meant it.

I want to believe.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/2...-gophers-are-not-elite-but-i-want-to-believe/

Go Gophers!!

Good article. He makes good points. #’s of a 4 TD win is pretty close. Should have been a 21 plus point win. Let’s hope for a big change next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom