Who would you start at QB for the Gophers next week at Iowa?

Who would you start at QB for the Gophers next week at Iowa?

• Stick with Croft, he did enough today to keep job

Votes: 91 75.2%
  • Give the job back to Rhoda, he's the best option to win at Iowa

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Give Seth Green a shot

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%

• Total voters
Am I allowed to think they have both played equally as poorly or do I have to pick a side? Fighting over which has played better is funny. Save 4Q versus MSU, we haven't seen even average QB play all year - from either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, listening to the debate about Rhoda or Croft is just painful because they are both bad options. I am sure they are good people but they have both struggled greatly in Big Ten games. If you take the other two out of the equation (Green, Morgan) then you have to stay with Croft because if nothing else, he will be on the roster next season so the game reps can't hurt. No point wasting time with a mediocre 5th year senior taking snaps when you can get reps for your mediocre 3rd year sophomore. At least with the young guy there is a chance it can pay off down the line. No matter what happens this year, Rhoda's college career is over so the added experience won't pay dividends for us in the future.

I'd stick with Green, but maybe play both Green and Rhoda.

At some point in time, I'd like to see what Green can do. Maybe if the game is too far out of reach for the Gophers, why not insert him to see what he can do? If the game is lost, what is the hurt unless he is really that bad.

In the end, this decision is going to be made by two people: Fleck and Kirk C. If they think Croft has the potential to be the starter next year, the logical choice is to stay with Croft. But, if they determine that Croft is not going to be the starter going forward, then Green could get a shot. I don't see them pulling Morgan's red-shirt unless it's an emergency situation - say Croft and Rhoda both get hurt in the same game, or something like that.

The only way I see Rhoda playing would be if A. Croft just stinks up the joint, and B. they don't think Green can play, even in a mop-up role.

I can't help wondering, though, if Fleck's repeated comment about "we're going to be younger next year" includes the QB position.

Croft was not good. Plain and simple.

He did hang in there with the first TD to Johnson which was good to see. But after that, horrible.

On a few pass plays I noticed that Wozniak was wide open. I know Lingen was not dressed but at least Conor knew that #80 was a viable option. Going forward, Fleck needs to get the TE more involved. At least Keift got one ball.

Croft looked very indecisive when he did decide to run.

I was surprised that Fleck stayed with Croft. IMO, that is a statement that Croft will be the guy; good or bad.

There are million possible arguments...but if the Illinois game is what the coaches saw in practice from Croft (why he didn't start the season) then he's not likely to become elite. I'd like to win some more games. Rhoda can pass. PJ stated they would not let Rhoda run the ball. I'd like to see what Rhoda looks like unchained...free to run..without disobeying orders (since we now do have a backup QB). Then see what the offense looks like. If he plays poorly, put Croft in because evidently he's the only guy on the roster for next year. If Morgan can't equal the performance of Rhoda and Croft now... how can he be the guy going forward? How much taller, how much more accurate will he get by next year? Green seems destined to transfer or watch...he seemed 3rd to me, but like Croft his passing was even more inconsistent.
Croft had a major advantage in the offense they ran versus Illinois. Those were not the plays we ran with Rhoda. To me Rhoda has the higher upside by a lot this year....if the defense knows he can run and if we run the offensive plays we did versus Illinois... I think Rhoda could look pretty good!

There are million possible arguments...but if the Illinois game is what the coaches saw in practice from Croft (why he didn't start the season) then he's not likely to become elite. I'd like to win some more games. Rhoda can pass. PJ stated they would not let Rhoda run the ball. I'd like to see what Rhoda looks like unchained...free to run..without disobeying orders (since we now do have a backup QB). Then see what the offense looks like. If he plays poorly, put Croft in because evidently he's the only guy on the roster for next year. If Morgan can't equal the performance of Rhoda and Croft now... how can he be the guy going forward? How much taller, how much more accurate will he get by next year? Green seems destined to transfer or watch...he seemed 3rd to me, but like Croft his passing was even more inconsistent.
Croft had a major advantage in the offense they ran versus Illinois. Those were not the plays we ran with Rhoda. To me Rhoda has the higher upside by a lot this year....if the defense knows he can run and if we run the offensive plays we did versus Illinois... I think Rhoda could look pretty good!

I would like to see that too if the Gophers were 6-1 or 5-2 as I too think Rhoda is a better passer. However since this team is going to have to fight to get six wins I would like to see Croft get the next 5 games to see if he improves. We have probably seen his best and worst over the past two games. If he can make better decisions and toss some short quick passes the offense might open up.

I was nervous when Croft didn't beat out Rhoda at the start of the season as I felt we saw enough of Rhoda to know how good he was.

It turned out that, despite some folks beliefs, that Croft really wasn't much better than Rhoda.

Now the fact that just those two were competing earlier this year means the others aren't even that good so I'm going with the coaches and no way do I want to see anyone else out there ....

I'd be ok with Croft or Rhoda... I'm not seeing an advantage in one or the other.

As of Sunday night 77% feel like D.C. Should remain as starter (likely because there are no better roster options that have thrown a pass).

We may have issues at QB, but looking around the league there aren't a lot of next-level type guys. Nate Stanley is young and looks like he has some skills but outside of that? Some good dual threat guys in Barrett and Trace then a pile of meh to putrid. Hornibrook might have a weaker arm than Rhoda but has the benefit of a dominant running game and an elite tight end safety blanket.

Whomever we go with will have ups and down- going to be a lot of #takes (including my own). It's going to be great.

Only thing clear to me from the Illinois game is that the old coaching staff definitely understood what they had at quarterback and weren't overlooking better talent on the bench out of loyalty to Mitch or any other factors. Saying that Demry had a bad game doesn't really cover it, after the opening drive where the team looked sharp and Demry threw a nice pass for a touchdown he proceeded to only complete 4 passes to the maroon guys and two passes to the other guys. That's one dimensional in another direction AND it was against the bottom of the barrel of B1G football AT HOME.

Thank god Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern are looking marginal this year, I still think we can win any of those games, but I'm preparing myself to cringe watching this team play Michigan on the road and Wisconsin at home. In the last 5 years other than a bad performance at Northwestern we fans haven't had to watch someone really roll over our guys, that streak may be over.

Stay with Croft, a bowl game on December 21st isn't a big loss.

Rhoda or someone other than Croft. Maybe give Croft a couple series, but his success as a collegiate QB has come against a prevent defense and not much else. If we want to build towards the next couple years, I don't think another QB getting a chance is a bad idea.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

If we're building for next year, playing Rhoda is ****in counterproductive. Dude is a clown, couldn't even start for a mediocre Cretin team

It is very difficult to run an option scheme and have a good passing attack. There are very few QB's who can do that in the country. We certainly don't have one. So if he is going to continue with his offense of a RPO system he better go with the better runner. Even the most talented QB in the conference has struggled trying to do both at Ohio State and we are a long way from that. You certainly could have a discussion on what offense would give us a chance to be successful but we don't have a say in it. As a young coach he will evolve into something he will hang his hat on. Just not sure if he is there yet.

I put "other" as I think they should both get roughly equal playing time until one has made himself the obvious choice.

If we're building for next year, playing Rhoda is ****in counterproductive. Dude is a clown, couldn't even start for a mediocre Cretin team

You seem like a truly mean person. All of your posts seem to point to someone sitting in a barcalounger holding an empty beer bottle, your lap covered in Liggett Select cigarette ash and raging at the world. Whistle a happy tune once in awhile. You'll find that life isn't so bad.

This year is worse than Year Zero if we do not find a starting QB for next year. We have 2 more to try. If there isn't 1 of the 3 underclassmen that can play QB then we have a very major coaching issue.

This team is in serious regression.

I think Croft should get the start, but I could see them using Green if Croft's game doesn't a little tighter at Iowa. Rhoda's a great story and he's a good kid, but like others have said, getting a QB in place for next season is a pretty high priority at this juncture. That said, unless Morgan is ripping it up in practice, I don't think they should pull the redshirt on him. I think Armstrong is an early HS grad and will be on campus in January, which should signal some pretty keen competition in spring ball.

I put "other" as I think they should both get roughly equal playing time until one has made himself the obvious choice.

I put in other thinking either what you said or if Morgan is advancing as much as PJ said that he should get a shot. At this point, they do have at least some chance at winning two more games and being Bowl eligible. I think that'd be a good accomplishment at this point. I just don't see either Rhoda or Croft really being able to beat anyone on the schedule. But both may be able to because of how different they play. The only way they beat Iowa with Croft is if their run defense is as bad as IL, and I highly doubt that. If they stop the run at all, this team will be toast with Croft. Rhoda isn't exactly Joe Montana, but he at least provides some better passing. But then the running game suffers since they only run that zone read up the middle that Rhoda won't keep (I know they actually run other runs, but that is a huge part of their game). I know next to nothing about Tanner Morgan, but I'd be fine burning his RS if he provided a better chance to win. As much as I'd like to think a RS Sr and RS So would provide a better chance to win than a true Fr, after watching the QB play the last couple weeks I'm not so sure.

Croft was not good. Plain and simple.

He did hang in there with the first TD to Johnson which was good to see. But after that, horrible.

On a few pass plays I noticed that Wozniak was wide open. I know Lingen was not dressed but at least Conor knew that #80 was a viable option. Going forward, Fleck needs to get the TE more involved. At least Keift got one ball.

Croft looked very indecisive when he did decide to run.

I was surprised that Fleck stayed with Croft. IMO, that is a statement that Croft will be the guy; good or bad.

Saw the same. At least once he released and basically was 20-25 yards down field uncovered on the right hash. Croft never looked his way.

Saw the same. At least once he released and basically was 20-25 yards down field uncovered on the right hash. Croft never looked his way.

Don't throw it to stone hands. I kid, Woz has stepped up his game this year and become a semi-reliable pass catcher.

Gotta think the coaches will be hammering on ball security, progressions to the TE or RB this week...did a good job of that vs MSU. Ball is the program.

Speaking of ball security, can't help but think of D. Culpeppers's "small hands" with the team fumblitis recently. Not sure Croft has the mini-hands of Daunte - he's just looking away a scotch too soon. Performance anxiety. I think some of this stuff will cure itself over time. Even Leidner learned to throw it away occasionally by the latter half of his Jr. year. Still never really took...but still.

Warinner may be our sole B1G level coach this year. Others may grow into it. Our OL will continue to get better regardless of how young it is. They will keep getting better as long as he coaches for us. The OL and DL are the essence of developing winning B1G football. We must keep Warinner. He is the Sawvel of the staff.

you mean the coach that has consistently been mentioned as only here for a year? If he stays, I'll be surprised.

Croft showed again this week that he has no pocket presence​ and no passing abilities. There is no way he is the best we have on our roster.

Rhoda is still better at this point in my opinion, but if you want to look to the future I have a hard time believing someone else isn't a better passer.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom