Who would you start at QB for the Gophers next week at Iowa?

• Stick with Croft, he did enough today to keep job

Votes: 91 75.2%
  • Give the job back to Rhoda, he's the best option to win at Iowa

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Give Seth Green a shot

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I wouldn't say Croft did enough to keep his job, but I think you still stick with him for at least another game or two.

Seriously? Should this even be a poll?

Don't like the idea of decommissioning our quarterback after a win. He made mistakes, but let's see if he can build on today's performance.

Croft still but with a short leash. His ability to make plays still outweighs Rhoda’s. Going back to rotating them might be a good idea since it’s clear now why neither one has stood out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Croft gives us the most diversity in our offense. Despite today he throws the nicest ball. I don't see anyone else who gives us a better chance to beat Iowa.

I’d plan to play both. Dollar says you see both.

No reason to go to Rhoda again, unless Croft is injured.

Demry opened up the run a bit, but man, those INTs were..... not good.

Croft has almost no experience in games, so is playing like a freshman. Being a good athlete - and smart - he should improve week to week. There is no alternative.

Demry opened up the run a bit, but man, those INTs were..... not good.

He had some worse throws that weren’t picked off. The throw in the third off his back foot, while running backwards into triple coverage in he end zone was absolutely atrocious.

Croft just never looked comfortable. It might be that being a starter is the cause. I’d start Rhoda first couple series and bring Croft in if he stalls.

Rhoda or someone other than Croft. Maybe give Croft a couple series, but his success as a collegiate QB has come against a prevent defense and not much else. If we want to build towards the next couple years, I don't think another QB getting a chance is a bad idea.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Have to go with Croft as he has the far bigger upside. However, if he continues to make bone head decisions like today the coaches will have a hard decision to make on Morgan...or they'll just ride it out the rest of the year and hope Croft is on the low end of the learning curve. One thing is for sure - I do NOT want to see Rhoda on the field again. Our offense becomes so constipated it makes me uncomfortable to watch.

My guess is that Rhoda doesn't see the field again. Croft can pass equally poorly, but adds significantly to the running game. If Croft falters we see Morgan in. There isn't a red shirt issue here. We have QB upgrades coming so there is no reason to save him if he can produce.

Fleck should not have brought Rhoda back. Took reps away from Morgan. Croft averaging 3 yards a carry doesn't open anything. He is not our future. He should go ahead and transfer to Mankato or USD. MAYBE he could start there. Maybe.

Fleck should not have brought Rhoda back. Took reps away from Morgan. Croft averaging 3 yards a carry doesn't open anything. He is not our future. He should go ahead and transfer to Mankato or USD. MAYBE he could start there. Maybe.

You must have missed all the giant holes our running backs had to run through yesterday. Having croft out there as a running threat absolutely opened up the rest of our run game.

Croft at least opens up the run game a little bit. Neither are really good options, Croft has a chance to improve for next season tho so sticking with him makes the most sense. With Rhoda there is no chance to develop for the future and you are going to get very similar results.

Have not seen the game yet, but from reading GH, Demry didn't look good. He has played in the equivalent of about two full games so far in his collegiate career and some on here want to write him off and move on to Morgan? You don't build stability in a program or at a position by changing at the first sign of trouble.
Last week Croft showed promise as he made some great throws and used his legs to spark the offense. It all happened in the second half when there wasn't the pressure to perform and he didn't have much of an idea that he would play, so he was relaxed. This week he probably got all the first team reps and knew he was starting and playing the whole game. He had a week to build up that pressure in his mind. From reading here it sounds like he was hesitant all game. That to me shows nerves with it being his 1st start ever and he just didn't settle in. Rhoda started all the games this year and got 3 games as the guy, the minimum that Croft should get is the same before we say he isn't our QB of the future. Plus we had our best rushing total of the season so something was better with him in at QB.

Even if Croft is our backup next year, getting him more experience this year is important.

Even if Croft is our backup next year, getting him more experience this year is important.

What you said combined with the fact that he can run is why I would stick with Croft going forward. Our passing offense has been terrible in Big Ten games so in order to compete we are going to have to be able to run as teams are going to load up and try to make us throw the ball. With Rhoda, the QB run is off the table so at least with Croft you make it a little harder on the opposing defense since they have to account for him keeping the ball.

Honestly, if the staff thinks Morgan is ready at all I would be real tempted to play him and start developing him for the future. I don't think Croft will ever amount to more then a backup at this level so while it makes more sense to play him then Rhoda, I don't really have high hopes that the added playing time is going to turn him into anything. With Croft I always come back to the fact that a QB with his size and speed doesn't get overlooked by everyone unless there is a reason. I think that reason was on full display yesterday.

Green appears to be an afterthought at this point meaning he must be looking awful in practice to not be able to beat out Rhoda or Croft.

The unfortunate part is that at this point we don't really have a good option, so to me you go with the most athletic guy and just pray he doesn't kill you with a terrible pick or 3.

What you said combined with the fact that he can run is why I would stick with Croft going forward. Our passing offense has been terrible in Big Ten games so in order to compete we are going to have to be able to run as teams are going to load up and try to make us throw the ball. With Rhoda, the QB run is off the table so at least with Croft you make it a little harder on the opposing defense since they have to account for him keeping the ball.

Honestly, if the staff thinks Morgan is ready at all I would be real tempted to play him and start developing him for the future. I don't think Croft will ever amount to more then a backup at this level so while it makes more sense to play him then Rhoda, I don't really have high hopes that the added playing time is going to turn him into anything. With Croft I always come back to the fact that a QB with his size and speed doesn't get overlooked by everyone unless there is a reason. I think that reason was on full display yesterday.

Green appears to be an afterthought at this point meaning he must be looking awful in practice to not be able to beat out Rhoda or Croft.

The unfortunate part is that at this point we don't really have a good option, so to me you go with the most athletic guy and just pray he doesn't kill you with a terrible pick or 3.

Hard to disagree with much of this.

Stick with Croft, keep the redshirt on Morgan. Ideally he can back up Croft (who will hopefully be improved) the next two years then battle with Armstrong to see who wins the job for the next two/three years.

The stats are fine. You don't think ability to convert the odd third downs with the QB run is important? Extend broken plays? We are not necessarily looking for Michael Vick 100 yard performances. Convert 1 or 2 third downs, keep defenses guessing. That's what Leidner gave us and he was a pretty horrific passer and decision-maker (albeit with a strong arm). It makes the offense go (a relative term for MN).

Our running game is better with Croft. Our passing game seems to be better with Rhoda. Considering we have 1 good WR, I'd stick with Croft.

Croft just never looked comfortable. It might be that being a starter is the cause. I’d start Rhoda first couple series and bring Croft in if he stalls.

He had a passing TD on his first drive.

One thing is for sure - I do NOT want to see Rhoda on the field again. Our offense becomes so constipated it makes me uncomfortable to watch.

Agreed. If Croft really falters next week, put in Green.

Our running game is better with Croft. Our passing game seems to be better with Rhoda. Considering we have 1 good WR, I'd stick with Croft.

Can you expand on this? Vs Big Ten

Croft:

Comp 45.7 yards/attempt 6.0 TD 4 INT 3 Rating 116.69

Rhoda:

46.0 6.1 3 3 103.28

Top Bottom