What grade would you give Demry Croft in his first start of the season?

• A

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • B

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • C

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • D

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • F

Votes: 16 14.2%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Not a good game at all throwing the ball. I'm convinced that his ability to run the ball opened up running lanes for McCreary and Smith though. I'd still rather ride with him than Rhoda.

Was surprised Rhoda didn't get a series.

Not complaining...just figured he might get a look.

Incomplete. I'd say he needs more time until we pass judgement. This IS his first full game as a starter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Underwhelming that's for sure.

Let's hope his passing game improves next week. I agree hard to judge much on one start.

5-15 for 47 yards
1 TD and 2 INTs

And most think that performance was a C?!?!?

Not a good game at all throwing the ball. I'm convinced that his ability to run the ball opened up running lanes for McCreary and Smith though. I'd still rather ride with him than Rhoda.

Yep and I think there are certain throws that he can throw well. I still think this team has a shot to win 2-4 more games.
Illinois seemed to do a decent job against the option and taking away Croft’s ability to run. We’ll see if the Gophers can find ways to move the ball well against Iowa (don’t know if the zone interior runs will work as well against iowa..

The best thing that can be said about today is that at least it was a step that could help us in the future. A long way to go, but at this point, better to try and develop players for the future.

I know there are many that think unless we magically find some High School Senior that could play as well as Aaron Rogers pre injury, we'll just suck. At this point, develop the players. If they don't develop, bring in better players. Given the class we're signing, development is going to be key for next year.

I gave him a D.... giving a bit of lattitude due to the wind....

The INTs were game changers... in the wrong direction.

D

5/15 for 47 yards 1 TD, 2 ints and a QBR of 8.1

11 carries for 32 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5-15 for 47 yards
1 TD and 2 INTs

And most think that performance was a C?!?!?

Exactly what I was about to say. Plus he wasn’t exactly dynamic running the ball and he could’ve easily had another interception in the red zone.

I’d call that a D or F. No idea how it can be a B.

Incomplete. I'd say he needs more time until we pass judgement. This IS his first full game as a starter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yeah... the question was what grade would you give in his first start? Incomplete is such a cop out...

Anything over a C is laughable, I went with D.

It's f. It's a bad game for anyone. It's actually a bad question.

Anybody who grades that performance anything but an F isn't being honest.

No reflection on the kid himself, who is probably a nice enough guy. And he's probably more innately skilled than Rhoda. But that was an awful performance.

Illinois has one of the worst run defenses in the country. 292 yards should have been the lowest of expectations.

Against a terrible defense, playing at home, Croft just went 5-for-15 with two INTs and another bobbled snap. This is something to build on? This was frickin Illinois for cryin out loud. Illinois???

If Croft starts much of next year at QB, this team is in serious trouble.

He looked terrible as a passer. Stares down one receiver and then tries to force it. I'd much rather have Rhoda who at least presents a threat to throw the ball and can move an offense through the air. I don't think there was one play throughout the whole game that showed any potential for Croft.

Don't want to overreact to one game, but if all you can do is complete a couple underneath passes against a terrible Illinois team (especially when the rushing game is working), you aren't a good QB.

Also, McCrary should see 10+ carries.in each game for the foreseeable future. He looked like a man among boys tonight

He looked terrible as a passer. Stares down one receiver and then tries to force it. I'd much rather have Rhoda who at least presents a threat to throw the ball and can move an offense through the air. I don't think there was one play throughout the whole game that showed any potential for Croft.

Don't want to overreact to one game, but if all you can do is complete a couple underneath passes against a terrible Illinois team (especially when the rushing game is working), you aren't a good QB.

Also, McCrary should see 10+ carries.in each game for the foreseeable future. He looked like a man among boys tonight

:rolleyes: Yeah, he had a horrid game. He looked pretty good last week. He's still better for the offense than Rhoda. If he doesn't improve as far as decision-making we'll see someone else, but his ability to move the chains with his legs makes a difference as it did with Leidner.

Illinois has one of the worst run defenses in the country. 292 yards should have been the lowest of expectations.

Against a terrible defense, playing at home, Croft just went 5-for-15 with two INTs and another bobbled snap. This is something to build on? This was frickin Illinois for cryin out loud. Illinois???

I assume you want to see Morgan. If the coaches feel he's ready AND Croft continue to stink it up there's another game or two window where it could make sense to play him. Too early to say IMO.

I still think this team has a shot to win 2-4 more games.
So, which game are you considering a guaranteed loss?

As to the grade, did Croft do more to help or hinder? If it was even, only then can you consider a C" If it was more of the latter, it's a D or F.

Croft is a serious F. Bring on Tanner Morgan now! Not just for "the future" but for now. Coaching has cost us 3 games already. If Morgan doesn't have the play book by now he isn't going to.

I gave him a D. It was bad. Really silly to write him off for his career at this point tho.

Agree that Croft looked terrible as a passer but I don't know that Rhoda would be any better. In Big Ten games he was dreadful and with him under center the QB run is off the table so teams can 100% key on the RB.

I gave Croft a D but can totally understand anyone that went with F. I assume that anyone who went higher then D is giving major bonus points for the W because I don't honestly see how anyone can feel good about the way Croft played yesterday. That said I think you have to stick with him until the time comes when you feel Morgan is ready to take the reigns. At this point in the season that probably won't be till next year.

Or maybe he will improve? People were gushing over him after last week, now they are done with him?

I assume you want to see Morgan. If the coaches feel he's ready AND Croft continue to stink it up there's another game or two window where it could make sense to play him. Too early to say IMO.

I don’t really know WHO I’d like to see at QB the rest of the way. Tony Mortensen would have led the offense to 27-30 points against that Illinois defense yesterday. This was a TERRIBLE Illinois defense that was missing a few key players.

Croft has been here almost 3 years. Let’s get off the notion that he’s inexperienced or we haven’t seen that much of him. Two different coaching staffs have watched him for extended periods of time up to this point and came up with the same conclusion; he’s just not a great option.

What to do moving forward? I don’t know. I agree that if you consider the season lost at this point, getting Croft experience to be a backup for the next two years (or perhaps even start the first game or two next year while working in a new starter?) is probably the best way to.

As far as the best option to win games for the remainder of the season? I would lean 55-45 towards Rhoda because he seems to make fewer mistakes and is a better passing option. Again, I don’t get the love for Croft’s ability as a runner. Being a better running option than Rhoda doesn’t make you a good runner.

I’ll reserve further judgment against Croft when I see him play against a defense this weekend that isn’t as pathetic as Illinois. If he turns it over another couple times against Iowa, I don’t know how anyone can seriously argue he should stick.

Or maybe he will improve? People were gushing over him after last week, now they are done with him?

Interestingly enough some that are patient with Fleck are impatient at QB. Need more data on both at this point.

I don’t really know WHO I’d like to see at QB the rest of the way. Tony Mortensen would have led the offense to 27-30 points against that Illinois defense yesterday. This was a TERRIBLE Illinois defense that was missing a few key players.

Croft has been here almost 3 years. Let’s get off the notion that he’s inexperienced or we haven’t seen that much of him. Two different coaching staffs have watched him for extended periods of time up to this point and came up with the same conclusion; he’s just not a great option.

What to do moving forward? I don’t know. I agree that if you consider the season lost at this point, getting Croft experience to be a backup for the next two years (or perhaps even start the first game or two next year while working in a new starter?) is probably the best way to.

As far as the best option to win games for the remainder of the season? I would lean 55-45 towards Rhoda because he seems to make fewer mistakes and is a better passing option. Again, I don’t get the love for Croft’s ability as a runner. Being a better running option than Rhoda doesn’t make you a good runner.

I’ll reserve further judgment against Croft when I see him play against a defense this weekend that isn’t as pathetic as Illinois. If he turns it over another couple times against Iowa, I don’t know how anyone can seriously argue he should stick.

Didn't we just watch Rhoda stink up the joint vs bad defenses? That was not, I repeat not a mirage. Rhoda made as many bad decisions and got away with several dropped INTs. He has a noodle arm, no ability to extend plays, and is literally scared of the rush even when there isn't a rush.

If not Croft, then Green or Morgan. Like I said, too early to write off someone with Croft's physical skills.

1. Ball security/turnovers: FF
2. Pass decision making: D
3. Pass accuracy (related to #2): D
4. Running game execution/ball fakes: A- (would be an A if not for the keeper on the goal line instead of give to McCrary)
5. Overall game management: B? Not sure. Didn't notice anything outstanding.

I haven't seen anyone give credit to how well Croft executes the run game...ball fakes, etc. IL had no idea where the ball was going at times yesterday. Nonetheless, D+/C- at best given the above.

Agreed. Again, this was Croft's first career start. Don't get me wrong, I think Mitch was a better QB than anyone on the roster now (although Green really hasn't gotten a chance to show what he can do or can't do), but Mitch had games as bad or worse than Croft's yesterday with far more starts in his background. Croft helped more than Rhoda would have just by virtue of picking up 32 yards rushing on 11 carries.

Top Bottom