What grade would you give Demry Croft in his first start of the season?

What grade would you give Demry Croft in his first start of the season?

• A

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • B

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • C

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • D

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • F

Votes: 16 14.2%

• Total voters
:rolleyes: Yeah, he had a horrid game. He looked pretty good last week. He's still better for the offense than Rhoda. If he doesn't improve as far as decision-making we'll see someone else, but his ability to move the chains with his legs makes a difference as it did with Leidner.

Correct

Interestingly enough some that are patient with Fleck are impatient at QB. Need more data on both at this point.

I can be patient with Fleck because he was left with crap QBs.

If we are still having these discussions 2 years from now Fleck will meet the same fate as his predecessors.

:rolleyes: Yeah, he had a horrid game. He looked pretty good last week. He's still better for the offense than Rhoda. If he doesn't improve as far as decision-making we'll see someone else, but his ability to move the chains with his legs makes a difference as it did with Leidner.

I think the jury is definitely still out. Passing took a big step backwards yesterday...some of it is on the staff but he clearly made some pretty basic mistakes with his passing decisions as well.

I look for a better performance against Iowa. I get that they are going to take what the opponent is giving them, but they still need to figure out how to get a more balanced attack on offense.

Agree that Croft looked terrible as a passer but I don't know that Rhoda would be any better. In Big Ten games he was dreadful and with him under center the QB run is off the table so teams can 100% key on the RB.

I gave Croft a D but can totally understand anyone that went with F. I assume that anyone who went higher then D is giving major bonus points for the W because I don't honestly see how anyone can feel good about the way Croft played yesterday. That said I think you have to stick with him until the time comes when you feel Morgan is ready to take the reigns. At this point in the season that probably won't be till next year.

Yes, this. Got the first BigTen win this season (as a team of course). Kept enough composure to pull out the win. An ugly win is still a win. Seen enough ugly losses to appreciate this win.

On to Iowa!

F. All they are really asking the QB's at this point is to not do something stupid and give up a turnover. He made some bonehead decisions. Hopefully Fleck can get a grad transfer to at least
compete for the job next year.

F. All they are really asking the QB's at this point is to not do something stupid and give up a turnover. He made some bonehead decisions. Hopefully Fleck can get a grad transfer to at least
compete for the job next year.

There definitely won't be a grad transfer. It will be an improved Croft, Morgan or Armstrong.

Is Armstrong an early grad from HS? If he is, he is a good bet for next year.

Bottom line for me is that the team won the game. Yeah, Croft looked shaky. But, in all fairness, it was the first start of his career. Up to now, he has played in a limited or backup role in 2 or 3 games. Big different when you're the starter. There were times when it looked like the game was moving too fast for him - but that will only change with experience.

Don't forget, this is the same QB who came into the MSU game and threw 3 TD passes in the final quarter. There is some ability there. Like all young QB's, the issue is consistency, reading defenses and going through the progressions. If Croft is still playing like this in a month, then that is a bigger problem.

As far as next year, who knows. The easiest thing to do is to say that "the next QB will make the difference." Maybe Morgan would be the second coming of Joe Montana if they put him in a game - or maybe he would look as flummoxed as Croft did on Saturday. Maybe Armstrong will ride in on a white horse and save the program.......or maybe he'll be another young QB with potential who needs playing time and good coaching to reach that potential.

Anybody who grades that performance anything but an F isn't being honest.

No reflection on the kid himself, who is probably a nice enough guy. And he's probably more innately skilled than Rhoda. But that was an awful performance.

I gave him a D because we won. If we had lost, I would have given him an F.

Big difference I noticed between Croft and Thomas (Illinois' redshirt freshman) is that even though Thomas is more athletic, it was Thomas' decisiveness that stood out even more. Croft just seems to be a tick late in his decision-making, which can largely be attributed to lack of experience.

I can be patient with Fleck because he was left with crap QBs.

If we are still having these discussions 2 years from now Fleck will meet the same fate as his predecessors.

I agree--and this is no surprise--how it is easily shown that a talented QB is absolutely crucial for a team.

D. Pass reads poor- threw into double and triple coverage often. Run reads not great either- kept on a couple where backs had nice holes. When he made good reads on passes, made poor throws. Footwork was poor on throws. Common sense factor also: when McRary runs umpteen times in a row at ten yards a pop and the ball is on the one, he deserves the chance on the next carry! First start means he gets another chance, but I hope there's a short leash. Tanner Morgan, start warming up the arm- you might be on the field shortly after everyone waves to the hospital kids...

I've been hard on Croft, but I agree. He gets another start with a very short leash. Both Morgan and Green deserve a chance if Croft doesn't prove he is a quality B1G starter. He is in his 3rd year as a Gopher.

Made some pretty terrible decisions running too.

It leads me to wonder if he's maybe not a natural runner.

Made some pretty terrible decisions running too.

It leads me to wonder if he's maybe not a natural runner.
I think he is not as fast as people think (although faster than Rhoda) and he is so skinny maybe he is afraid of contact?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

So, which game are you considering a guaranteed loss?

As to the grade, did Croft do more to help or hinder? If it was even, only then can you consider a C" If it was more of the latter, it's a D or F.

To me the Wisconsin game looks to be the toughest, but I think we have a shot.

I didn’t vote but I think we will see better play from Croft going forward.

I think he is not as fast as people think (although faster than Rhoda) and he is spool skinny maybe he is afraid of contact?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

From all accounts, Croft is one of the 5 fastest players on the team when they run in practice.

The issue is in game situations he isn't quick on his feet or decisive with what he wants to do.

C. I hope that the suspension changed his perspective on his roll with team. I agree with the coach. He has to fail in order to grow as player. Don’t bench him because he had a bad game.
PJ was very honest and straightforward about our QB situation going into this year. Lack of experience and a talented upper class man. However, it doesn’t make it any easier to watch. Painful! Hoping this leads to A and B grades in the future.

From all accounts, Croft is one of the 5 fastest players on the team when they run in practice.

The issue is in game situations he isn't quick on his feet or decisive with what he wants to do.

Yeah he looked plenty fast when he had the keeper against the Beaves.

Top Bottom