Illinois Postgame Presser Notes

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck
Really proud of the football team. We drew a line in the sand in the locker room. Wanted to learn from the 6 games prior and apply it to this game. I think they applied almost all of it. Saw belief, finish, trust and a team that KNEW they were going to win the football game. I think a few weeks ago, we play that football game, and I don’t think we win. We’ve learned.

Congrats to Jon Celestin. What he’s had to deal with with his family and loss of his father. Says he’s a coach to help change people’s lives. Says he’s on his way to doing special things in life.

McCrary is going to play more. He’s earned the right to do that. He’s earned more reps. Proud of how Kobe put people on his shoulders, literally. Says him scoring was a statement. They only ran two plays on that TD drive.

Credits the RBs for being very selfless when it comes to splitting carries. Lots of McCrary’s yards come after contact. You have to balance how many hits the backs take. You see what happens when you only have two backs, playing a B1G schedule. They get banged up.

Said they didn’t execute at a high level. Have to execute better.

Thought the linebackers did a better job tackling. Secondary members have to set the edge. Very difficult thing to do as a freshman when they aren’t used to it. Thought they were a little hesitant setting the edge but then they started settling in. Once the edge was set, the linebackers were coming hard down hill and made some plays.

Carter Coughlin is getting better and better at rush end. To have a guy learn a new system and new position, it’s impressive how well he’s producing now. He’ll just keep getting better.

Jon Celestin
It meant a lot, to catch that interception and score. Meant a lot to help the team out. Personally it was a great accomplishment. It’s something I’ve been trying to for the last four years. I dedicated it to my father.

On playing through an elbow injury:
It was a battle, more of battle last week. It’s not easy to play with a hurt elbow because that’s what I need to fend off blockers.

We’ve learned from that past couple of games. We drew a line in the sand and wanted to make sure applied what we learned.

Feels good to finally get that first B1G win. We just learned to believe in ourselves in the fourth quarter. We learned to finished.

Carter Coughlin

It was surreal seeing Jon Celestin make the pick-six. You could tell how much it meant to him. He got very emotional after it. It’s something he’s going to remember forever.

I’d say my game has improved by being able to use my speed. That comes as I get more comfortable at the position. Been able to use my speed more during B1G play and that’s created more looks to make plays.

When I came in last year, during practice, I was coming off the edge. Kobe comes in and just levels me. That was my first wake up to college football. Kobe is a monster and it’s great to see him getting opportunities to make plays.

We drew a line in the sand in the locker room

They have sand floors in the locker room?

Top Bottom