[POST GAME THREAD} - Minnesota defeats Illinois 24-17

The weather delay streak is over, and we won the game, too!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A few random thoughts on today's performance by the Gophers:

1) I was disappointed in the play calling. We had success running McCrary in the first half with Croft under center. In the 3rd Quarter with Croft under center McCrary ripped off consecutive runs of 8, 9, 7, 10, 17, 7, and 5 yards... but we then ran read option from the 1-yard line. Further, we never ran play action out of that formation and did not return to it until late in the 4th Quarter. When we did return to it, Kobe had success again. Not great, IMO.

2) Demry's performance obviously left a lot to be desired, but I think we should continue with him as QB1 moving forward. His throws were inaccurate and his decision making was questionable at best. He was lucky not to be intercepted in the red zone on the FG drive. However, we know what we have in Rhoda and news flash: it's not great.

I think most people realize Green is not the guy and I think we should keep the redshirt on Morgan. So Croft is the clear choice for me, and we will obviously need an improved effort both in the air and on the ground from him in Iowa City if we want to have a chance next week.

Nice to get that first win and a chance for the students and geezers to celebrate tonight.
McCrary and the Oline did a great job.
Now hopefully the staff can scheme to this current personnel’s strength. Running and quick throws and crossing routes for Croft.

Also: until today I held out hope that this was a decent football team beleaguered by poor quarterback play and mistakes. While I did not think we were good, I was optimistic that Croft would give this offense a spark. Given the performance tonight, specifically the awful game Croft had, I no longer am holding out hope that this is a decent football game.

We will be lucky to make a bowl game unless they let 5-7 teams play again, and if we do it will be the DiscountWashingMachines.com Bowl in scenic Laramie, Wyoming.

Good thing teams as bad as Illinois are better at finding ways to lose. Gophers need a big turn around from this game to compete the rest of the year. Otherwise the USA Today writer will be spot on. Probably be underdogs the rest of the way. Maybe beat Nebraska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why was that last play not ruled a safety? It appeared that the play ended with Illinois recovering the ball in the end zone.

Good thing teams as bad as Illinois are better at finding ways to lose. Gophers need a big turn around from this game to compete the rest of the year. Otherwise the USA Today writer will be spot on. Probably be underdogs the rest of the way. Maybe beat Nebraska?

Is nobody aware that Iowa is also 1-3 in the BT and they only scored 10 points today? We'll win at Iowa. I'll look forward to quoting this post next Saturday evening.

We will and should be underdogs the rest of the way.

However, I don't think today was an example of Illinois finding a way to lose. We clearly outplayed them and if we had lost, it's because we found a way to lose.

We played bad, we almost found a way to lose.

Gophers are mediocre. Lucky thing most of our remaining opponents are too

My thoughts - - -

Obviously, the running game, defense and the OL played good.

Personally, I thought the playcalling was a little odd near the goal line on that drive. The next drive was baffling. I thought it was a strange tranche of calls.

Our passing game is dreadful. Croft simply doesn't have great instincts (as a passer or a runner). If we're going to call more plays with the QB under center, I'd rather roll with Rhoda or Morgan.

The two worst teams in the Big Ten played today. Enjoy today's victory. It will be the last one this year.

By some miracle, anything can happen. A 5-7 finish is more likely IMHO.

That was an ugly game by two really bad teams. We won. But it was ugly football and not really fun to watch.

I know that Smith is a very good RB, but McCrary sees the holes better in the new zone blocking scheme. My understanding is with the old power blocking scheme they had set holes for the runner to attack, while with the zone blocking scheme, the runner reads the open holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is nobody aware that Iowa is also 1-3 in the BT and they only scored 10 points today? We'll win at Iowa. I'll look forward to quoting this post next Saturday evening.

I sure hope that’s the case, it’ll mean the OC called a much better game, the HC managed the clock better, and the QB played much better.

Agree with a lot of what Hollinsanity said. We don't seem to run things till the other team stops us. They had to be likee, "I hope they don't stay under center and keep battering us" and then sure enough we stopped.

Not on our team, but I would be pretty pissed at whatever Lovie was doing at the end of that game if I was an Illinois fan.

Sorry to break your bubble. I am afraid that Iowa is already scheming to get their receivers going against the Gopher secondary. As was evident on the Ill. last td we are very, very porous in the secondary. And yes, I realize we were in prevent. But seriously, Huff couldn't cover me - let alone a college age receiver. And it just isn't him, outside of Duke no one else would hit the field for most Big Ten teams. Unless we can control theball offensively, and that doesn't sound probable with our injuries, things could get real ugly in Iowa City. Not sure who we can beat yet this season.
I am sure PJ is wishing he had the officials from last season. As I have been saying, Big Ten officials are old, out shape. The only reason they still work on Saturdays is the good 'ole boy system. Those of you who taped the game, watch the pass play previous to our missed field goal. Right in front of me and two officials. Johnson had his jersey pulled off both shoulder pads - yet no defensive holding. Just one example of lackadaisical officiating.

We will and should be underdogs the rest of the way.

However, I don't think today was an example of Illinois finding a way to lose. We clearly outplayed them and if we had lost, it's because we found a way to lose.

We played bad, we almost found a way to lose.

Putting a true freshman running QB in to go 80 yards in 4 minutes and letting 40 seconds tick off the clock was a blessing. Although I think our HC and OC might have coached a worse game considering talent level and home field.

Sorry to break your bubble. I am afraid that Iowa is already scheming to get their receivers going against the Gopher secondary. As was evident on the Ill. last td we are very, very porous in the secondary. And yes, I realize we were in prevent. But seriously, Huff couldn't cover me - let alone a college age receiver. And it just isn't him, outside of Duke no one else would hit the field for most Big Ten teams. Unless we can control theball offensively, and that doesn't sound probable with our injuries, things could get real ugly in Iowa City. Not sure who we can beat yet this season.
I am sure PJ is wishing he had the officials from last season. As I have been saying, Big Ten officials are old, out shape. The only reason they still work on Saturdays is the good 'ole boy system. Those of you who taped the game, watch the pass play previous to our missed field goal. Right in front of me and two officials. Johnson had his jersey pulled off both shoulder pads - yet no defensive holding. Just one example of lackadaisical officiating.
The spots these refs were calling came straight out of their asses.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The spots these refs were calling came straight out of their asses.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

IKR. Illinois' 3rd down spot that was reviewed on the final drive was clearly about 1.5 yards short of the marker.

Awfully quiet around here. It's almost as if the four ugly game stretch we just played is an iceberg that the boat just hit and people are jumping off board.

I suspect the word for this season is "volatility." For whatever reason, it seems like every game a different team shows up. I would not be shocked if the Gophers looked a lot better next week. but, I would also not be shocked if they stunk on ice.

Just a theory on my part, but I get a sense that, in order for Fleck's system to work (assuming it will work in the B1G), he needs "his" type of players. I was more optimistic coming into the season, but I now believe that, for whatever reason, the returning players are a bad fit for Fleck's system.

In short, if the Fleck experiment is going to work, I don't think we're going to find out for another 2 or 3 years. I hate thinking that. I hate typing it. But it's what I believe.

If Fleck is the recruiter some people believe him to be, and if his coaches can take that talent and mold it to fit Fleck's system, the Gophers could be a really good team in 3 or 4 years. Of course, the opposite is also possible - if Fleck does not recruit up to the needed level, and his coaches cannot mold the talent as needed, games like today could be the norm instead of the exception for the next 3 or 4 years - a truly ghastly possibility.

Awfully quiet around here. It's almost as if the four ugly game stretch we just played is an iceberg that the boat just hit and people are jumping off board.

Considering who hasn't shown up, glad they jumped, but two more victories would be damn near a miracle.

No matter what I'm with the team

I could barely breathe and made game

McCrary needs to play a lot more.

Top Bottom