***OFFICIAL ILLINOIS AT MINNESOTA HOMECOMING IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Mason is a moron. Why would you need more time there with three timeouts and goal to go?

I'm with you. I don't think it mattered. We couldn't get a first down, so we were fine calling the TO when we did.

I probably would've called a timeout on 2nd and 7 with about :30 left instead of snapping the ball while the clock was running at :25, but "horrible clock management" is a stretch IMO. Got three plays off, attempted a FG with :11 left.

Clock management is spot on... when you're gutless and will just settle for a missed field goal.

I thought the Fleck approach to kicking was going to help Carpenter?

Apparently the kids really connect with terrible football and no idea how to manage the clock. Great half of football, Half-pint Tony Robbins. Every facet of the game is worse.

The two things that were supposedly improved this year, clock management and discipline...both un-elite in he last minute

How was clock management bad there? Gophs left no time for IL to score.

Time and time again, Minnesota football teams, whether college or pro, are not smart enough to set up a short kick from the middle of the field instead of the far hashmark. This is a killer.

Can someone who just ripped Fleck for "horrible clock management" quote this post explain what was wrong with it???

The two things that were supposedly improved this year, clock management and discipline...both un-elite in he last minute

The clock management was all but perfect. Playcalling within the 10? Not so much.

Time and time again, Minnesota football teams, whether college or pro, are not smart enough to set up a short kick from the middle of the field instead of the far hashmark. This is a killer.

So when we have 3rd and Goal from the 7 you would prefer we set up the kick by running to the middle instead of attempting to score a TD? Not sure about that one.

The negative comments about clock management really emphasize how terrible the football minds are on this board. We ran 3 plays and a field goal attempt at the goal line and left Illinois with no time. Won't speak to the play calling but we used the clock perfectly. Lovie screwed up and should've taken his timeouts.

So when we have 3rd and Goal from the 7 you would prefer we set up the kick by running to the middle instead of attempting to score a TD? Not sure about that one.

Better to have 3 points than 0. Croft obviously cannot throw today (or run either), so yes. Personally, given that Croft is not playing well at all today, I would do what Illinois is doing and mix up the QBs a little.

The negative comments about clock management really emphasize how terrible the football minds are on this board. We ran 3 plays and a field goal attempt at the goal line and left Illinois with no time. Won't speak to the play calling but we used the clock perfectly. Lovie screwed up and should've taken his timeouts.
This. ^^^

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Put in Morgan - this season is done. Just get him some experience. Rhoda is not the answer, Croft is not the answer.

Two posters criticized the clock management, everyone else did not. They were a minority. They way people like you blow everything out of proportion make this board unreadable.

I would be interested to see what the YPC split is with Croft under center vs. in the shotgun. Absolutely mauled ILL a few times with Croft under center for big gains, hopefully we come back to it.

Well the traditional school of thought is that you save more time so that the defense can't simply rely on committing a defensive holding or PI and you still have to kick anyways.

Are we playing to win the game or not to lose the game?? Hard to say.

Clock management is spot on... when you're gutless and will just settle for a missed field goal.

They had first and goal. Ran twice and passed on third down. Do you not like the play calling? To me you run on first and play action on second but I don’t have a problem with that last drive other than we couldn’t punch it in.

I would be interested to see what the YPC split is with Croft under center vs. in the shotgun. Absolutely mauled ILL a few times with Croft under center for big gains, hopefully we come back to it.

Absolutely! We got Kobe there a few times with a head of steam and things started to click. Then we just stopped. But hey who are I am to question, we got a team starting 14 freshmen on the ropes. Row the Boat!

Are we playing to win the game or not to lose the game?? Hard to say.

I don't know, but if I'm not mistaken, Croft has completed 2 passes, one of which was a screen pass. To his credit, he'd have increased his # of completions by 50% if Carter would catch a ball right to him.

Given the inability to pass the ball, and a run game that has only produced 7 points...I'm not sure how if the first half gameplan was a good one.

McCreary continues to produce as the back. It's too bad he gets so few carries.

Two posters criticized the clock management, everyone else did not. They were a minority. They way people like you blow everything out of proportion make this board unreadable.

5 posters.

MissouriGopher is spot on.

They had first and goal. Ran twice and passed on third down. Do you not like the play calling? To me you run on first and play action on second but I don’t have a problem with that last drive other than we couldn’t punch it in.

With Croft not passing well today, i have no problem with running on 2nd down against this defense. It also takes more time off the clock with timeouts in the kitty.

Top Bottom