Zulgad’s 3-and-out: Demry Croft likely only a temporary solution at QB for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has yet to announce whether Demry Croft will start at quarterback over Conor Rhoda on Saturday against Illinois, although that almost certainly will be the case.

Rhoda, a fifth-year senior, looked rattled in last Saturday’s loss at Michigan State, while Croft, a sophomore, entered in the second quarter and ended up throwing three touchdown passes in the fourth quarter.

Croft got in trouble with Fleck and was suspended for three games for violating an unspecified team rule earlier this season, but he gives the Gophers an opportunity (3-3, 0-3) to win their first Big Ten game in part because, unlike Rhoda, he’s a threat to run the ball as well as pass it.

But while Croft is the logical choice to start, it’s almost certainly a temporary assignment.

Fleck’s starting quarterback for the 2018 season likely isn’t on the current roster. Among the candidates to take over will be Brennan Armstrong, a left-handed, dual-threat quarterback from Ohio.

Fleck didn’t recruit Croft and he knows his long-term success will depend on his ability to find a quarterback who is a good fit for the offense he wants to run. Fleck was known for his offensive acumen at Western Michigan and it’s a long shot he’s going to put his faith in a QB who isn’t his guy.

Armstrong and any other quarterbacks recruited by Fleck and his staff are likely to quickly bypass Croft and those brought in by Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys.

https://www.1500espn.com/news/2017/10/zulgads-3-demry-croft-likely-temporary-solution-qb-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

This is pure speculation. I think I'll let reality play itself out.

Fleck’s starting quarterback for the 2018 season likely isn’t on the current roster. Among the candidates to take over will be Brennan Armstrong, a left-handed, dual-threat quarterback from Ohio.

Isn't Tanner Morgan one of Fleck's guys and a year ahead of Armstrong? The wording of this also seems to leave open the idea of a transfer. I doubt Judd has any inside info on that but it may not be a bad idea to try and score a grad transfer for a year while Fleck's young guns develop. True freshmen QBs almost never work out unless you are Ohio State.

Let's take one season at a time. I like Croft going forward...tomorrow and some following Saturdays.

Boss: "Zulgad! Write something about the Gophers!"

Zulgad:"I know nearly nothing about College Football and even less about the Gophers!"

Boss:"Then write something about the future."

Zulgad:" Great idea! Now who's going to be the QB tomorrow?"

If you listen to their show, you would know that Judd's role is the pessimist. His shtick is that every team in the Twin cities is either struggling, or is about to struggle. Phil Mackey tends to be the more optimistic voice - but neither one of them is ever very complimentary to the Gophers.

The article may not be news, hot off the presses, but he's probably not far off. I'm not sold on Croft long term but a lot can happen between now and next August. My issue with Croft is that, between running it and throwing it, he's not close to exceptional at either. They are different QB's but that was also my knock on Leidner; he wasn't particularly adept at either himself. Croft isn't great throwing it, but he's not the dangerous threat running it that some seem to think. Being more of a threat to run than Rhoda doesn't make you exceptional.

Not to open that can of worms again, and there's another thread raging about it already, but that was on reason I wouldn't have minded seeing Streveler get more of a shot. Sure he was a substandard passer but in my opinion he was an exceptional runner and maybe that could have worked until a better option came along. Not that different than Shortell; he couldn't run it but he could damn sure throw it. It's getting tiresome having QB's that aren't great at either. Until that changes, the ceiling is 8-9 wins at best.

The article may not be news, hot off the presses, but he's probably not far off. I'm not sold on Croft long term but a lot can happen between now and next August. My issue with Croft is that, between running it and throwing it, he's not close to exceptional at either. They are different QB's but that was also my knock on Leidner; he wasn't particularly adept at either himself. Croft isn't great throwing it, but he's not the dangerous threat running it that some seem to think. Being more of a threat to run than Rhoda doesn't make you exceptional.

Not to open that can of worms again, and there's another thread raging about it already, but that was on reason I wouldn't have minded seeing Streveler get more of a shot. Sure he was a substandard passer but in my opinion he was an exceptional runner and maybe that could have worked until a better option came along. Not that different than Shortell; he couldn't run it but he could damn sure throw it. It's getting tiresome having QB's that aren't great at either. Until that changes, the ceiling is 8-9 wins at best.
There are very few teams in FBS with elite quarterbacks. Croft has not come close to reaching his ceiling. It's hard to envision a true freshman taking over next season because he is so elite.
But, if people like their fantasies, by all means keep them. [emoji41]

Has Croft even played a full game? And I'm not even talking one game from start to finish. My guess is he's played the equivalent of one complete game if you count the time he saw two seasons ago at Northwestern as a true freshman. Like another poster stated, he isn't even close to his ceiling.

Isn't Tanner Morgan one of Fleck's guys and a year ahead of Armstrong? The wording of this also seems to leave open the idea of a transfer. I doubt Judd has any inside info on that but it may not be a bad idea to try and score a grad transfer for a year while Fleck's young guns develop. True freshmen QBs almost never work out unless you are Ohio State.

Yeah PJ has been talking up Tanner a lot.

There are very few teams in FBS with elite quarterbacks. Croft has not come close to reaching his ceiling. It's hard to envision a true freshman taking over next season because he is so elite.
But, if people like their fantasies, by all means keep them. [emoji41]

Correct on the first sentence. Correct on the second sentence.

Agreed on third sentence, however pj has given us glimpses/hints that his guys are better than anyone here now. Even if his guys haven't played yet.

It's a very small sample size but hard to see why anyone wouldn't be encouraged by his performance Saturday. Love his arm - great zip and other times nice touch, mobility, decision-making so far. I suspect he'll have his ups and downs but let's ride the optimism while we can. This week could be the week the offense turns the corner for good.

He had 20 attempts and 3 TDs. A TD per attempt ratio we haven't seen in a long while; versus a decent defense have to go back to Leidner vs Iowa 2014 (4 on 13) or Weber's performance vs, guess who, MSU in 2009 (5 TDs vs 30 attempts).

Will see, I think Croft could thrive in this offense. Fleck didn't recruit his qb at WMU either and that guy started at least three years

Correct on the first sentence. Correct on the second sentence.

Agreed on third sentence, however pj has given us glimpses/hints that his guys are better than anyone here now. Even if his guys haven't played yet.
I hope you're right. Time will certainly tell.

It's pretty hard to go by anything PJ says. But I'm pretty sure if Morgan was an heir apparent he'd be playing. Wouldn't he? He didn't look the part in open practices to me. Hard to see Morgan beating out Armstrong or Bachmeier etc. going forward, so if he can play...play him now. I dunno, he was a WMU recruit so they must have liked him. Seems unlikely he's the guy to me.

Things could change but I don't think PJ likes the idea of Croft being his QB going forward either.

We'd want Croft to succeed to allow the backups to develop and mature will be my best scenario.

Morgan and Armstrong on paper under PJF's scheme look good. But, we don't know how they'll perform at the college level yet. The thing is PJF will pluck the best option(s) at QB regardless of advertised talent coming in.

Strangest things can happen.

I immediately spot three issues with this article:

1. It is written by Zulgad.
2. It is written by Zulgad.
3.... It is written by Zulgad.

I immediately spot three issues with this article:

1. It is written by Zulgad.
2. It is written by Zulgad.
3.... It is written by Zulgad.

Until Croft learns when to slide and when to get out of bounds, the next QB hs to be ready. The Illini play like the Vikings, any QB is fair game after throwing the ball. He will be lucky to finish the game tomorrow. Sad

Until Croft learns when to slide and when to get out of bounds, the next QB hs to be ready. The Illini play like the Vikings, any QB is fair game after throwing the ball. He will be lucky to finish the game tomorrow. Sad
He converted a 3rd and long with his legs by NOT going out of bounds, juking 2 defenders in the process. I think we will be fine with him at QB.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This isn't the NFL and we're not paying him $15 million a year. I'm fine with having a QB that isn't afraid of some contact. If he gets hurt then so be it.

I'd be surprised if Croft isn't the starter the next two years.

Disagree completely with Zulgad.

I don't think we've seen a big enough sample size to definitely say that. He may very well turn out to have several good or great passing games this year assuming he'll see the field as a full time starter (hopefully).

And he may not be quite Lamar Jackson, Braxton Miller or Dennard Robinson with his legs but I think it's hard to deny that he is a pretty good runner, not quite one of the best in the country but a pretty good one.

It's pretty hard to go by anything PJ says. But I'm pretty sure if Morgan was an heir apparent he'd be playing. Wouldn't he? He didn't look the part in open practices to me. Hard to see Morgan beating out Armstrong or Bachmeier etc. going forward, so if he can play...play him now. I dunno, he was a WMU recruit so they must have liked him. Seems unlikely he's the guy to me.

Things could change but I don't think PJ likes the idea of Croft being his QB going forward either.

I disagree. You want to redshirt players as much as possible and Morgan isn't a big guy. He could use a year of learning and physical growth. Terrell at WMU wasn't a big guy either and I think Morgan could be a more talented version of him.

I don't buy the whole 'next year's QB isn't on the roster' statement. If Croft struggles down the stretch, I think it's more likely it'll be Morgan's team next year rather than Armstrong's as a true freshman.

It's Crofts job to win

If he doesn't, well

Let's take one season at a time. I like Croft going forward...tomorrow and some following Saturdays.

Bingo. There's no use speculation over who will start next year when we are only going into our 7th game this year.

Boss: "Zulgad! Write something about the Gophers!"

Zulgad:"I know nearly nothing about College Football and even less about the Gophers!"

Boss:"Then write something about the future."

Zulgad:" Great idea! Now who's going to be the QB tomorrow?"

It's a shame he couldn't get it back in his wheelhouse and tie it into the Wild and Zach Parise's back somehow.

Top Bottom