Florida DB C.J. Smith III commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Neptune Beach, FL (Duncan U. Fletcher) defensive back C.J. Smith III. Smith joins Minnesota after decommitting from Georgia Southern. He had additional offers from South Florida, Florida Atlantic, Central Michigan and others.

With Smith’s commitment, the Gophers now have 24 players in the 2018 class and jumped one spot ahead of Wisconsin in 24/7 Sports recruiting rankings, per Kyle Goblirsch.

From taking a look at his tape, Smith has played safety and cornerback in high school. He possesses plenty of length at 6-foot-1, but he'll need to add a little more weight. He plays with impressive physicality to deliver hits in the backend. Smith is also a very fundamentally sound tackler against the run. He plays reactive and is in position to knock passes away at the catch point. When he is at cornerback, he opens his hips swiftly and stays tight to the wide receiver to tally pass breakups. He moves really well when routes are broken off at the stem and can get his hands into passing lanes. I see him playing at nickel cornerback in this defense. His run support skills and coverage fundamentals would suit him well in that spot.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5225434/59c6779190f93f11accc4787' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yay! Thanks for the insight, Daniel. Welcome, C.J!!!

Appears to be fundamentally sound, just a matter of gaining a little weight it appears. Welcome!

Looks like a safety to me. From the video above, doesn't seem to be great in coverage but appears to be a great tackler. This secondary needs a lot of help so always good to get a versatile body.

Looks like a safety to me. From the video above, doesn't seem to be great in coverage but appears to be a great tackler. This secondary needs a lot of help so always good to get a versatile body.

Agree. Needs a year in the weight room.

I heard Burns say on his podcast that someone was about to announce their commitment. I was holding out hope that it was Bachmeier or Benhart from '19....but I'll take it.

Nice MAC offer list!

Well, apparently he also has offers from teams like USF, Wake Forest and an SEC offer from Mississippi St. I'm not going to get into the whole ridiculous "commitable offer," thing, which makes absolutely no sense, but it's listed there on 247. Not sure why Central Michigan was listed and those weren't (not criticism, observation).

He recently was paid a visit by Mr. Sawvel, who I would trust over nearly anyone on Earth this side of Mike Zimmer (best DB coach to ever live, IMO), when it comes to identifying DB talent.

Well, apparently he also has offers from teams like USF, Wake Forest and an SEC offer from Mississippi St. I'm not going to get into the whole ridiculous "commitable offer," thing, which makes absolutely no sense, but it's listed there on 247. Not sure why Central Michigan was listed and those weren't (not criticism, observation).

He recently was paid a visit by Mr. Sawvel, who I would trust over nearly anyone on Earth this side of Mike Zimmer (best DB coach to ever live, IMO), when it comes to identifying DB talent.

I wish we could recruit Sawvel back to the team......

If he helps us, great! It's an easy thing to see why he dropped Georgia Southern for UMN. It's harder to see what UMN saw that no other P5 school saw.
In any case, he's a Gopher and I wish him all the success in the world.

If he helps us, great! It's an easy thing to see why he dropped Georgia Southern for UMN. It's harder to see what UMN saw that no other P5 school saw.
In any case, he's a Gopher and I wish him all the success in the world.

As you start dipping into true freshman to play DB this year, good chance you might see clearly once they get reps in first team spots that they are maybe not who you thought they were which might cause you to add to the total number of DB's your looking to commit next year. Or it could be young guys over performing this year at other spots (LB, WR) making you confident you can shift one more scholarship to a position of need like DB. Given our current depth issues makes sense that they are locking up DB's and DE's right now.

As you start dipping into true freshman to play DB this year, good chance you might see clearly once they get reps in first team spots that they are maybe not who you thought they were which might cause you to add to the total number of DB's your looking to commit next year. Or it could be young guys over performing this year at other spots (LB, WR) making you confident you can shift one more scholarship to a position of need like DB. Given our current depth issues makes sense that they are locking up DB's and DE's right now.
I'm not questioning the need at the position. I hope this young man develops into a great DB for UMN.

Top Bottom