MSU football's LJ Scott arrested, faces 7th charge for driving w/o valid license

I'd say driving a deadly weapon on a suspended license is pretty bad...responsible people should drive cars. Just saying.

There was a story recently about a guy from Western MN who has been arrested 28 times for drunk driving. 28. and he somehow had a valid license.

Scott may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, or he may be pre-occupied with playing college FB, and not with going to the DMV to get his license straightened out. I don't think he's a menace to society.

Perhaps a roll of the eyes from the coach, but that will be about it if that.

It's easy to get a current license, it's tough to be an All-Big-Ten fullback.

How many would it have taken at MN to have him booted?

Level playing field indeed.

I dunno, assuming less than 6 or 7? Almost all charges were reduced. Had open container in July of 2016...would have been 19 at the time I believe.

There was a story recently about a guy from Western MN who has been arrested 28 times for drunk driving. 28. and he somehow had a valid license.

Scott may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, or he may be pre-occupied with playing college FB, and not with going to the DMV to get his license straightened out. I don't think he's a menace to society.

http://www.startribune.com/despite-27-dwis-how-did-danny-bettcher-get-a-license/449917633/

Apparently it sounds like there really is no statute in place to take away someone's MN DL permanently for DWI/DUI convictions. After like 3 I think there probably should be. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me for someone to rack up multiple charges of DWI/DUI or driving without a license. All that tells me is these people who get caught like this could give two sh!ts about it or injuring someone. Pretty sad.

http://www.startribune.com/despite-27-dwis-how-did-danny-bettcher-get-a-license/449917633/

Apparently it sounds like there really is no statute in place to take away someone's MN DL permanently for DWI/DUI convictions. After like 3 I think there probably should be. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me for someone to rack up multiple charges of DWI/DUI or driving without a license. All that tells me is these people who get caught like this could give two sh!ts about it or injuring someone. Pretty sad.

I don't disagree that there should be something in place to revoke someone's driver's license, I'm not naïve enough to think that will make them stop driving. I mean, after 28 you'd think the guy would have gotten things figured out but racking up DWI's hasn't worked.

I don't disagree that there should be something in place to revoke someone's driver's license, I'm not naïve enough to think that will make them stop driving. I mean, after 28 you'd think the guy would have gotten things figured out but racking up DWI's hasn't worked.

Oh, I totally agree. It's not going to make them stop, but at least the State isn't re-issuing a license and looking like a clown show for doing so. That, in and of itself, is a complete joke even if it has alcohol restrictions on it.

I'd say he is. A propensity for reckless driving + history of crash and leaving the scene + drinking + lack of respect for authority + pattern of irresponsibility = profile of a future serial crasher. A pretty significant percentage of accidents are caused by people too irresponsible to put their phone down, or not tailgate at speed/drive recklessly, or not drink and get behind the wheel. Or not sleep and get behind the wheel.

The human carnage is staggering. So many get excited about a rare case of CTE/ concussion, while giving a pass to someone doing the automotive equivalent of waving a loaded weapon around the room. Maybe too personal for me to give non-hyperbolic opinion.

Coach should bench him until he comes to his office with a valid DL.

I'd say he is. A propensity for reckless driving + history of crash and leaving the scene + drinking + lack of respect for authority + pattern of irresponsibility = profile of a future serial crasher. A pretty significant percentage of accidents are caused by people too irresponsible to put their phone down, or not tailgate at speed/drive recklessly, or not drink and get behind the wheel. Or not sleep and get behind the wheel.

The human carnage is staggering. So many get excited about a rare case of CTE/ concussion, while giving a pass to someone doing the automotive equivalent of waving a loaded weapon around the room. Maybe too personal for me to give non-hyperbolic opinion.
This. My roommate in college at the U was killed by a drunk driver. The driver had her license revoked for 4 prior DUIs. Happened on 494. She was drunk, crossed the ditch separating southbound and northbound lanes and hit him. He was on a motorcycle, never stood a chance.

Happened at the end of August, the week before school started. I was such a mess I had to take the semester off to get my head straight. Guy had been my best friend for several years. People like this should be locked up for years. The lady got 3 years, but was eligible for parole after 1.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Oh, I totally agree. It's not going to make them stop, but at least the State isn't re-issuing a license and looking like a clown show for doing so. That, in and of itself, is a complete joke even if it has alcohol restrictions on it.

I was surprised too, but found out that very few states actually permanently revoke DLs. Many revoke/suspend it for 1-3 years after the 3rd conviction. If offenders complete the required steps, it most likely gets reinstated if offender reapplies. The thing about this story that got me is that it happened in a small town of a little more than 1,000. I grew up in a small town...everybody knows the heavy boozers and repeat DWI offenders. His license had a stipulation that he could not drink. The place that served him (not blaming them) didn't card him. An off-duty deputy in the place saw him drinking and called it in.

I was surprised too, but found out that very few states actually permanently revoke DLs. Many revoke/suspend it for 1-3 years after the 3rd conviction. If offenders complete the required steps, it most likely gets reinstated if offender reapplies. The thing about this story that got me is that it happened in a small town of a little more than 1,000. I grew up in a small town...everybody knows the heavy boozers and repeat DWI offenders. His license had a stipulation that he could not drink. The place that served him (not blaming them) didn't card him. An off-duty deputy in the place saw him drinking and called it in.
And to add to the madness, revoking drivers licenses does not guarantee they will not drive and/or drive drunk. Robbers and killers follow the law all the time...right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And to add to the madness, revoking drivers licenses does not guarantee they will not drive and/or drive drunk. Robbers and killers follow the law all the time...right?

Very true in some cases. I would think he'd at least be required to have an ignition lock installed on his vehicle. Heard they are expensive, but the cost could be part of the fine levied.

We are way too lenient in the U.S., especially with repeat offenders.

We are way too lenient in the U.S., especially with repeat offenders.

I think in Germany the fine is several thousand dollars, and you can lose your driving privileges for life.

Wisky plate don't work either. A colleague who lives in Chaska saw three cars at a bar parking lot with Wisky plates.

From the article:
Coach Mark Dantonio said Scott's status would be affected because of the arrest but that the team's leading rusher at the halfway point of the season would be on the field against the Hoosiers.

"In what has been a lengthy process, LJ Scott now has a valid driver's license, free of any restrictions," Dantonio said in a statement released by the school Friday afternoon. "He has resolved the matter completely, and has paid a price, both financially and publicly. His status will be affected for Saturday's game, but he will play."

Top Bottom