Richard Pitino: Several key Gophers not yet cleared for full contact

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The Gophers are nearly a month into preparation for the 2017-18 season, but they still have several players not cleared for contact in a full practice.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said Thursday at Big Ten Media Day that center Reggie Lynch, guard Dupree McBrayer and forward Davonte Fitzgerald were on a contact restriction of 15 minutes.

“It’s been difficult because we have had a lot of guys who are allowed to practice but not do contact,” Pitino said at Madison Square Garden. “So it’s tough to figure out where are we at from a defensive standpoint, a rebounding standpoint, all those physicality things that you can’t work on.”

Pitino said Lynch, the 2017 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, is meeting the team doctor and could be cleared as soon as Thursday. The 6-foot-10 senior, who was originally scheduled to make the trip to Big Ten Media Day but was replaced on short notice by teammate Jordan Murphy, had minor knee surgery last month.

A projected starting shooting guard, McBrayer was out for a few months with a leg injury, but he will be ready for the season, Pitino said Thursday.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...s-not-yet-cleared-for-full-contact/451623283/

Go Gophers!!

I know I shouldn't fret, but it's my Gophers, damn it. Things always are looking up when something happens. Was hoping that curse was taken care of with the news on Curry--now this. Innocuous or ominous?

Not helpful, especially with Curry out. The foundation...the first month of the season is the most important part of the season. You are not installing new core things once games start, (plays, tweaks sure) but once you start playing games it's fixing things you installed in October, preparing for opponents etc

Lynch and McBrayer...Pitino knows how they fit, what they can do. But definitely not true for Fitzgerald. Very hard to know what he can and can't do after the injuries and layoffs. Very hard to know how he fits with the others.
We need these guys healthy.

But these guys are all practicing, so that is a major plus! They do know the schemes and philosophies.

Not worried about Lynch and McBrayer.

But Fitzgerald a concern. He's basically been out 2.5 years with injuries, and he's still not cleared? He's the guy I think Gophers need something out of to fill some of Curry's minutes. The fact he's still not cleared leads me to believe we'll be lucky if he's of any significant help before January.

Even before the Curry injury I thought the Stockman addition was a big time head scratcher knowing Gaston was limited at best, and Konate is OK for off the bench. By bringing in another kid that can't contribute no matter what this season, we basically are 2 scholarship players down at the start of the season (Stockman and Gaston) and now three with Curry. All the while we knew that Fitzgerald was a complete wildcard so if he can't get healthy, we'll enter every game with 4 scholarships not really being used.

I realize we lose size after this season, but this is one of those "all in" years with the seniors we have. Oh well, what's done is done, let's hope we are healthy.

Go Gophers!!

Even before the Curry injury I thought the Stockman addition was a big time head scratcher knowing Gaston was limited at best, and Konate is OK for off the bench. By bringing in another kid that can't contribute no matter what this season, we basically are 2 scholarship players down at the start of the season (Stockman and Gaston) and now three with Curry. All the while we knew that Fitzgerald was a complete wildcard so if he can't get healthy, we'll enter every game with 4 scholarships not really being used.

I realize we lose size after this season, but this is one of those "all in" years with the seniors we have. Oh well, what's done is done, let's hope we are healthy.

Go Gophers!!

Well said, Bleed.

Stockman pick-up definitely made little sense. I think Dad hood-winked Son into taking Stockman off his hands (transfer announced in April), so Dad (now with an open scholarship) could have a crack at Bowen, who then out of nowhere committed to Louisville in early June. Coincidence?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ment-from-brian-bowen-last-five-star-in-2017/

Well said, Bleed.

Stockman pick-up definitely made little sense. I think Dad hood-winked Son into taking Stockman off his hands (transfer announced in April), so Dad (now with an open scholarship) could have a crack at Bowen, who then out of nowhere committed to Louisville in early June. Coincidence?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ment-from-brian-bowen-last-five-star-in-2017/

Because the only way Rick could get rid of Stockman was if Richard took him?

I believe Rick Pitino didn't know about any inducement on Bowen. But maybe the assistant said, hey, I have a connection, I'm pretty sure I can get us Bowen or maybe others available at the time too. And the wheels started in motion.
I agree 100% Stockman to Minnesota is a head scratcher but don't you think Rick could have gotten him hooked up in many other places as well? I think they both feel Stockman can contribute for the Gophers. Just not sure it was the best roster management choice. I also think the decision to move on from Stockman for Rick was made earlier, that it had more to do with adding another better fit for Louisville, not necessarily just Bowen.

Column from John Feinstein, one of the most respected college basketball writers of our time.

Even Rick Pitino, who told boosters shortly before the Louisville basketball program's prostitution scandal broke in 2015: "If one of my players has a beer in Louisville, I know about it."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-rick-pitino-college-coaches-know-20170927-story.html

At one point, a young, deeply religious coach stood up and said, "Coach Thompson, isn't the best thing we can all do right now is try to have a closer relationship with Jesus Christ?"

Thompson smiled, then said: "The best thing y'all (expletive) can do is stop cheating!"

Gold! Great article.

Well said, Bleed.

Maybe not hood-winked. Maybe just called in a favor. I argued at the time that 1) there was nothing in Richard's history here to suggest he would choose to spend a scholarship on a delayed one-year player and 2) the frontline wasn't safe this year because an injury to any of the top three (and even Konate to some degree) would make things difficult.

I also agree with Bleed that this was the year to go all-in to maximize the chances for a higher level of success. I don't understand the people who said "Stockman will help next year." The hell with next year. There's at least 7 months of recruiting time left to improve the roster for next year.

I believe Rick Pitino didn't know about any inducement on Bowen. But maybe the assistant said, hey, I have a connection, I'm pretty sure I can get us Bowen or maybe others available at the time too. And the wheels started in motion.
I agree 100% Stockman to Minnesota is a head scratcher but don't you think Rick could have gotten him hooked up in many other places as well? I think they both feel Stockman can contribute for the Gophers. Just not sure it was the best roster management choice. I also think the decision to move on from Stockman for Rick was made earlier, that it had more to do with adding another better fit for Louisville, not necessarily just Bowen.

We need a center next year besides Oturu and it balances the classes out. Worse case he's only here for a year best case he's a glue guy in the rotation.The fate of next year will have nothing to do with Matz

Top Bottom