MN Daily: Thomas Barber adds to family esteem with his linebacker play

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Like his brothers and father before him, Thomas Barber is shining with the Gophers.

Barber, a sophomore linebacker, leads the Gophers defense with 52 tackles this year. He had 16 in last week’s game against No. 18 Michigan State.

Barber is the son of Marion Barber Jr. and brother of Dominique Barber and Marion Barber III. All three played for the Gophers and went on to have NFL careers.

“He’s developing into a leader on our defense,” said defensive coordinator Robb Smith. “He’s got a knack for the ball that’s really starting to show up, he’s got incredible instincts, he comes from an awesome football family.”

Last season, Barber played in 11 games and had 12 tackles. He has started every game this year, and he had more tackles in last week’s game alone with 16 than he had in the entire 2016 season.

Barber has intercepted one pass and forced two fumbles this year.

“I see a lot of development,” Barber said. “I’ve been working with Jon Celestin and Cody Poock, all the older linebackers, they’ve been getting me in, getting me ready.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...dds-to-family-esteem-with-his-linebacker-play

Go Gophers!!

Probably my favorite player on the team. Punishing tackler, great nose for the ball, exactly the kind of beef you want to see at LB plugging up the middle. I haven't rewatched all the games I've been live at, so I don't know if there have been some big mistakes to go along with the big plays, but it really seems like he is just solid all around.

Great article and another great example of how, when the opportunity presented itself, a Gophs player stepped up and performed. Great legacy for the Barbers.

“I see a lot of development,” Barber said. “I’ve been working with Jon Celestin and Cody Poock, all the older linebackers, they’ve been getting me in, getting me ready.”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...dds-to-family-esteem-with-his-linebacker-play

Go Gophers!!
My favorite part of the article. Cody Poock is one of my favorite players on the team (outside of the targeting penalties) and as excited as I am for Barber, I am equally bummed for Poock. Sounds like he has been a good role model for the other LBs.

Why is Thomas Barber the last Barber? They have been VERY good to Gopher Football!

My favorite part of the article. Cody Poock is one of my favorite players on the team (outside of the targeting penalties) and as excited as I am for Barber, I am equally bummed for Poock. Sounds like he has been a good role model for the other LBs.

Why is Thomas Barber the last Barber? They have been VERY good to Gopher Football!

Guess we'll have to wait for the 3rd generation?

Top Bottom