Argus Leader: Should South Dakota QB Chris Streveler be starting for Minnesota?

If Streveler keeps up the pace, he'll have something like 4500 yards this season, running and (mostly) passing. Big difference between the B10 and Missouri valley, but he could be starting here this year as a senior, backed up by Croft. We'd be at least 5-1 with this arrangement. Neither Weber nor Leidner were reliable passers and neither was a natural runner, though both had a few big games. We have been weak at QB forever.

The previous regime would struggle with Aaron Rodgers as their QB. That crew could not develop a QB for anything, good for Streveler but not only would be facing stronger competition, he probably still wouldn't know how to throw a spiral

Well, the previous staff had 1 season.

However, if you're talking about Kill and Coach Z, they did develop Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch.

However, if you're talking about Kill and Coach Z, they did develop Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch.

Sadly they continued to recruit those types of players (guys designed for read option offense) to be QB’s in an under center play action system and thought that was a good idea

If Streveler keeps up the pace, he'll have something like 4500 yards this season, running and (mostly) passing. Big difference between the B10 and Missouri valley, but he could be starting here this year as a senior, backed up by Croft. We'd be at least 5-1 with this arrangement. Neither Weber nor Leidner were reliable passers and neither was a natural runner, though both had a few big games. We have been weak at QB forever.

Weber was a fairly reliable passer. I realize he had the benefit of playing 4 years with no major time missed for injuries, but he's in the top 5 in career passing yardage in the B1G. And that was accomplished with a different o-coordinator every year. He threw for twice as many TDs and over 3,500 more yards than Mitch. To me they don't really belong in the same category.

Don't know if I agree with the 5-1 projection. Until he shows it against B1G competition it's apples/oranges.

Then I can say they'd be 6-0 with Mitch Leidner. Would have scored 100 points per game with Adam Weber.

There's no way to know what Streveler would have done had he stayed. Heck, didn't Kill want to convert him to a TE? He could just as easily been our fifth string TE like Alipate and never seen the field. Or maybe he would have joined in the train and been off the team. Or had a catastrophic injury. Those scenarios are as conceivable as this team being 5-1 with him at QB.

Congrats, we ran some read option plays. We all saw that. Do you honestly believe that was our main system under Kill?

Completely missed the point (bold in my reply to you). Not sure what team you watched, but the QB rarely was under center.

I'm not going to go back and look but we had a bunch of people proclaim Croft could not pass after the Buffalo/OSU game. Why, I still don't know. We also had some question my assertion Fleck may have been fibbing that Rhoda won the job solely based on football skills/performance. I questioned it then, and now.

Is it likely a QB cleaning up in an FCS league could play in the Big Ten? Yep. Would they look as good? Probably not but impossible to really say. Looks like he can make all the throws. Best we can do is cheer him on vs NDSU.

Completely missed the point (bold in my reply to you). Not sure what team you watched, but the QB rarely was under center.

Not sure what team you watched but Kill wanted to establish a primarily under center offense starting in about 12 or 13. Yes, did we run plays out of the shotgun? Of course. Was it our primary set? No.

Yes, he would be the starter.
No, he is no longer here.
Therefore he is not the starter.
Move on.

Yes, he would be the starter.
No, he is no longer here.
Therefore he is not the starter.
Move on.

I sort of understand this sentiment. It's analogous to seeing that ex-girlfriend one dumped lose 20 pounds, get a boob job, and win the lottery. Better not to think about it.

Jeremiah Briscoe was 36% passer for 361 yards, 3 TD and 4 Int in 2014 at UAB as a freshman. The next year at Sam Houston - 54.9% for 1883 yards, 14 TD and 5 Int, then 62.6% for 4602 yards, 57 TD and 10 Int. I'm assuming he got hurt as a senior because he was having a good season but only played 6 games. 56%, 2145 yards, 18 TD, 7 Int.

I looked up the stats of all on this list: https://herosports.com/collegefootball/ten-former-fbs-quarterbacks-who-transferred-to-fcs-in-2015. While 4500 yards isn't common, most of these guys had solid careers that would not have seen the field in FBS. Exceptions are Max Staver and Zach Kline (who somehow did poorly in FCS but transferred to Fresno State and did pretty well).

But 8 of 10 guys had solid careers and a couple had outstanding careers. I don't wish Streveler ill at all, but to think he'd automatically be lighting up the B1G like that is nuts.

Besides, had he stayed here as a QB he may never have been motivated enough to push himself. I think it was when Kill wanted to change his position that it really motivated him to change his approach. Had that not happened, he'd likely just be a guy on the bench.

Not sure what team you watched but Kill wanted to establish a primarily under center offense starting in about 12 or 13. Yes, did we run plays out of the shotgun? Of course. Was it our primary set? No.

Beg to differ. Go look at any highlights from those years. Gray, Nelson, Leidner...unless close to the goal line, a vast majority of the time was out of the pistol, not under center.

I think all people are saying...is he'd be better than Conor Rhoda.

Streveler was named by the AP as first team All-American QB for the FCS level.

Streveler was named by the AP as first team All-American QB for the FCS level.

Glad it worked out well for him. I don't think there is much doubt he would have been an upgrade over Rhoda and Croft, how much of an upgrade is tough to say though. He never screamed Power 5 level starting QB when he was here but sounds like he landed in a good spot with the move down to the FCS level.

Top Bottom