Who is Gophers most irreplaceable player?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Curious what other people think.

Not necessarily best player, but most screwed if we lose him.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If Washington is able to handle the transition then i would put Lynch as the most irreplaceable. If Washington struggles then I would flip that to Mason for his ball handling.

I gotta go with Jordan Murphy. When he plays like "high motor Murph" instead of "low motor Murph", we are dang tough to beat. I don't recall many games last year when Jordan played well that the team as a whole didn't play well. When he has that junk yard mentality he is such a difference maker in so many ways and I feel his teammates feed off of him.

Reggie Lynch.

He's the one that we don't have a back-up even remotely close to what he can do for us.

Go Gophers!!

Particularly with Curry's injury, it has to be Murphy. We can at least physically replace everyone else on the roster if they were to go down, but who would even take Murphy's spot in the starting lineup? Hurt? Yikes.

I know this is cheating, but has to be Murph AND Lynch. We lose either we're screwed.

I know this is cheating, but has to be Murph AND Lynch. We lose either we're screwed.

I'm going with Coffey on this one. Amir makes opposing teams defend near the free throw line and opens the floor for us when facing a zone. He has a complete game, and it's hard to say that anyone else has that to the same degree. Obviously, Hurt is a body to replace him, but the drop-off is massive.

Particularly with Curry's injury, it has to be Murphy. We can at least physically replace everyone else on the roster if they were to go down, but who would even take Murphy's spot in the starting lineup? Hurt? Yikes.

Definitely a scary proposition if Murph goes down. I'd guess they go 4-out, 1-in:

Coffey
Mason
McBrayer
Washington
Lynch

Yikes is right, small lineup. Coffey & McBrayer absolutely would have to hit the boards.

It's a no brainer for me. While the team's best players are Mason, Coffey, and Murphy, the most irreplaceable player is Lynch. I believe we've already seen the ceiling of Konate (no, that's not a compliment), and we've also seen what happens when he plays extended minutes. He works hard, but there were so many times last year that we was out of position and gave up easy layups and dunks, and he probably averaged only 10 minutes a game. When Lynch is on the floor, this team is another animal entirely...

I'm in the Lynch and Murphy group but forced to pick one it is Murphy. Lynch eliminates himself already too frequently and we do have Konate. Konate and Lynch on the floor at same tome is not a pleasant thought. No idea what Fitzgerald can give us. If it comes down to Gas or Hurt...I might find another game after the score becomes lopsided.
Like I said once before I think Coffey is about the only solution on the defensive end in the situation of Murphy being out. It'll be interesting to see what we do substitution wise with Murphy out. We can go small versus many teams but not all. The more we put Lynch in defensive jeopardy the more likely he sits. Ugly thoughts.

Given gopher history is this a wise question to think about let alone type?

For me
1) Lynch
1b Murphy
3) Coffey
4) Mason
5) Dupree
6) Washington
7) Fitz
8) Harris
9) Konate
10) Hurt
11) Gas
Curry was in the top four for me be fore the injury because depth. The trade-off next year will be having a lot of depth at the four, but this year it's a big blow. Lynch changes the game and tilts the floor in our favor and considering his replacement it's a no brainier. Losing Curry makes Murphy this year's Al Nolen in health importance.

My order in reverse:

Last) Gaston
Possible football team fill-in player
) Conroy
) Rudrud
10) Harris - We have many people who can play 2 guard
9) Hurt
8) Konate
7) Fitz - Shoots up to top 5 if Lynch of Murphy go down
6) McBrayer - no fault of his. Just need ball handlers more.
5) Washington - no ballhandler = End of season, (see Nolan, Al)
4) Mason - See No. 5, who is on the B1G freshmen to watch list. With no Jelly, he would be no.1.
3) Coffey - I could make an argument to make him 1.
2) Lynch - he puts himself on the bench quite a bit as it is, so its hard to make him most important.
1) Murphy - with Curry out, he is a one man band at PF until Fitz proves otherwise. As it is, I don't feel great about when he is getting rested without any other injuries.

So much for depth being an asset of this team when you look at the team this way. We are really one deep at PF and C. Konate can handle it for a while on pure physicality but there is no proof anyone can handle PF past Murphy. Plus, as pointed out earlier, Good Murphy makes this team tick like no other Gopher.

We are two deep at PG and three or four deep at SG and SF. Big drop-off in SF from Coffey unless Fitz is as great as advertised.

Reggie Lynch and its not even close.

Without him our defense is absolutely screwed

Reggie Lynch and its not even close.

Without him our defense is absolutely screwed

Well Big Reggie played 23mpg last year, not like he is a 30+ min guy.

This is more the gap between the starter and back-up question... that's why I'm saying Jordan Murphy.

Given gopher history is this a wise question to think about let alone type?

This. We're the last fan base that needs to press our luck. Our ghost is always lurking. Everyone say 5 Hail Mary's and lock this thread. :cool:

Probably Reggie or Murphy

Best player mason

Most talented and best NBA prosoect Coffey

How would people rank our big 4 for who will have the best season? I'm having the hardest time picking because they're all so good and reasonable arguments could be made for all of them in spots 1-4.

I’d rather have Tyler Johnson on the roster than Gaston. Even just as a body I practice he’d be useful.

I’d say Lynch because he is sooooooo far ahead of his backups.

I already miss Curry. He was my favorite player last year.

How would people rank our big 4 for who will have the best season? I'm having the hardest time picking because they're all so good and reasonable arguments could be made for all of them in spots 1-4.

Hard to define "best season" because they're all different kind of players, but I'd go:

1 Coffey
2 Mason
3 Murphy
4 Lynch

This is a really good problem to have. Gophers finally have multiple "dudes", and McBrayer is da*n good, too.

Hard to define "best season" because they're all different kind of players, but I'd go:

1 Coffey
2 Mason
3 Murphy
4 Lynch

This is a really good problem to have. Gophers finally have multiple "dudes", and McBrayer is da*n good, too.

Agreed on Coffey at 1. I definitely like his game the most of the bunch. It seemed like he always made big plays when we needed them most. I was also impressed with his ability to make something happen when he was given the ball with only a few seconds on the shot clock.

Top Bottom