True freshman cornerback Justus Harris will play vs. Illinois

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Should’ve burned RS on guys long ago. I get that injuries can force your hand and change things but we knew we were going to have serious depth issues at corner. Burn that right away not halfway through the year.

Should’ve burned RS on guys long ago. I get that injuries can force your hand and change things but we knew we were going to have serious depth issues at corner. Burn that right away not halfway through the year.

If we didn't have injuries to Winfield, Thomas and Craighton and if Durr was back at 100% we probably could have kept the RS on him all year.

IF... Winfield hadn't done his hamstring in August. If Craighton hadn't gotten hurt in game 3. If Durr wasn't limping in August. Then maybe, yes he could have red shirted but with those occurrences it seems to me like he should of had game time before GAME 7? I haven't followed it closely...have more experienced/older unknown lower depth chart guys played and failed?... and that's why there is no choice now but to play him at this point, because he's better than those guys who got a chance but he is a true freshman? Or was it solely trying to save him with no alternatives and the Thomas situation forced their hand?

It would be nice for him if he had played in some games prior to this one. I get the wanting to RS as many as possible, but circumstances at DB were not good to start the year, so they should have had a few of them playing some special teams to get them ready for the speed of the game, when they would be needed at corner or safety.
I thought Ayinde played well at corner last week, why the sudden move to start playing Harris?

If we didn't have injuries to Winfield, Thomas and Craighton and if Durr was back at 100% we probably could have kept the RS on him all year.

Durr was never going to be healthy this season, and the odds of Winfield, Thomas, Craighton making it through the entire season unscathed were minimal at best. Especially since Winfield was carrying a ding throughout fall camp.

Harris should've seen action against Oregon State and MTSU.

I thought Ayinde played well at corner last week, why the sudden move to start playing Harris?

I agree that Aydine played surprisingly well last weekend at CB. But we are going to need more bodies there this season, Harris has to play.

I can't keep up with all the injuries. What happened to Thomas and how long is he out?

Durr was never going to be healthy this season, and the odds of Winfield, Thomas, Craighton making it through the entire season unscathed were minimal at best. Especially since Winfield was carrying a ding throughout fall camp.

What were the odds of Winfield, Craighton and Thomas all being out at the same time?

What were the odds of Winfield, Craighton and Thomas all being out at the same time?

When you have 6 available scholarship CBs with 1 being Durr who wasnt healthy and 2 are true frosh, its pretty likely at least one of them will need to play at some point. They basically were banking on 3 guys to play the entire year which never made any sense

When you have 6 available scholarship CBs with 1 being Durr who wasnt healthy and 2 are true frosh, its pretty likely at least one of them will need to play at some point. They basically were banking on 3 guys to play the entire year which never made any sense

Thank you. Our corners available to us at the beginning of the year were Shenault, Durr, Craighton and Thomas. Not only was it unlikely all stayed unhealthy especially because of Durr’s situation but the rest weren’t proven talents either. It’s not like our lack of depth at CB is something we didn’t see coming into the year

Why is Durr even on the field, if that is the case? PJ?

Why is Durr even on the field, if that is the case? PJ?

Well with losing both Craighton and Thomas, we were down to Shenault and Durr as the only non-freshmen CB’s we have. Sadly that’s the depth we have there. Somebody has to play there

Getting him experience now helps us next year as well. It is a good move for the sake of the team, but should have been done earlier for the sake of JH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Kiondre could be back this week. Also, Fleck hinted the RS could come off a CB last week too. Didn't happen.

Sounds like Kiondre could be back this week. Also, Fleck hinted the RS could come off a CB last week too. Didn't happen.

Your last point is a good one, but TBH, PJ didn't hint he was going to - he flat out said he was going to. I'm sure that misdirection had MSU all dizzy.

Hopefully get the W this weekend, get Thomas back, got Ayinde and Mchgee, and another healthy young guy that is ready. Let’s go!

I don't see the huge difference in playing Harris for 5 snaps against 2 bad teams. Try to retain the redshirt if you can, if you can no longer retain, you play them going forward and give them lots of snaps. Seems like a weird thing to get upset about.

I don't see the huge difference in playing Harris for 5 snaps against 2 bad teams. Try to retain the redshirt if you can, if you can no longer retain, you play them going forward and give them lots of snaps. Seems like a weird thing to get upset about.

+100000000000000000000000000000

I have been trying to figure out the problem

Not sure where 5 snaps comes from or who the two bad teams are? In coaching every kid is different, but almost 100% of them are nervous, lost and exhibit the whole deer in the headlights look the first time they get to play. Their head is swimming, they hear nothing. 2nd game it's a little better. After that point you can determine if they can compete or not. Pretty rare somebody steps on the field for the first time for a new team to them and looks comfortable or plays well. That's why you get their feet wet in doses. Not lots of snaps in their debut.
Game one starters....special players etc are going to react differently so then yes....they have the confidence to survive.
He should have been playing earlier if he was going to.

Why does it have to be five snaps? We won games by 34 and 31 points. He could have had a full quarter or more in each game. Now that his feet are wet, maybe he plays a little against Maryland. Then a little against Purdue. Then a little against Michigan State. This is how experience and improvement work.

We also had Winfield and other starters on the field late in the fourth quarter in the OSU game, at least. You're asking for trouble when you're doing that with such paper thin depth.

Not sure where 5 snaps comes from or who the two bad teams are? In coaching every kid is different, but almost 100% of them are nervous, lost and exhibit the whole deer in the headlights look the first time they get to play. Their head is swimming, they hear nothing. 2nd game it's a little better. After that point you can determine if they can compete or not. Pretty rare somebody steps on the field for the first time for a new team to them and looks comfortable or plays well. That's why you get their feet wet in doses. Not lots of snaps in their debut.
Game one starters....special players etc are going to react differently so then yes....they have the confidence to survive.
He should have been playing earlier if he was going to.

If they pulled his shirt against Buffalo and OSU or MTSU, he's going to get a few garbage time 4Q snaps and that's about it. If he didn't play again for a month, I'm not sure those snaps would mean much. And if Zo, AWJ, Kiondre, Duke, etc didn't get hurt or miss games, we'd be pissed that we burned a shirt for 5 snaps. I've seen it complained about on here for years.

They didn't know they were going to need him, it's not that big of a deal to pull the shirt now, but he's gotta play meaningful snaps and/or special teams for it to be worth it.

Why does it have to be five snaps? We won games by 34 and 31 points. He could have had a full quarter or more in each game. Now that his feet are wet, maybe he plays a little against Maryland. Then a little against Purdue. Then a little against Michigan State. This is how experience and improvement work.

We also had Winfield and other starters on the field late in the fourth quarter in the OSU game, at least. You're asking for trouble when you're doing that with such paper thin depth.

That's why I don't think he would have played many snaps. It doesn't HAVE to be that way, I just think that's what would happen. Hindsight is 2020

If they pulled his shirt against Buffalo and OSU or MTSU, he's going to get a few garbage time 4Q snaps and that's about it. If he didn't play again for a month, I'm not sure those snaps would mean much. And if Zo, AWJ, Kiondre, Duke, etc didn't get hurt or miss games, we'd be pissed that we burned a shirt for 5 snaps. I've seen it complained about on here for years.

They didn't know they were going to need him, it's not that big of a deal to pull the shirt now, but he's gotta play meaningful snaps and/or special teams for it to be worth it.

Correct! Hindsight is always 20/20. They tried to squeak by and they were forced to play him.

Correct! Hindsight is always 20/20. They tried to squeak by and they were forced to play him.

I don't know if hindsight was necessary. Fleck reminded us frequently before the season ever started how razor thin we were in the secondary (and OL). He was hoping everything would go perfectly, and it didn't.

Using the logic some people have on here we should never redshirt anyone if there is any chance they will see the field if someone else gets injured. So, how are you going to determine that? Oh, wait until it happens and then go back and say "see, they should have been playing these guys earlier." I would like to see where all of these clairvoyannts were the second half of the OSU game clamoring to pull the redshirts off guys at that time. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Using the logic some people have on here we should never redshirt anyone if there is any chance they will see the field if someone else gets injured. So, how are you going to determine that? Oh, wait until it happens and then go back and say "see, they should have been playing these guys earlier." I would like to see where all of these clairvoyannts were the second half of the OSU game clamoring to pull the redshirts off guys at that time. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I doubt if you'll see posts from people during the game saying, "PLEASE BURN REDSHIRTS NOW!" If anyone knows how to actually find something on this site using the search, which I don't, you could probably find a thread about who the impact freshmen would be, and you'll see the names of a few d-backs. Not necessarily because they were our best recruits, but because we're so thin in the secondary.

Nobody thinks we should be playing more freshmen linebackers or running backs. Not many think we should be playing Morgan, freshmen offensive linemen or anymore defensive linemen. But many assumed from the beginning we'd see a few freshmen playing in the secondary. We simply lacked numbers and talent after the incident last year.

Maybe Harris wasn’t game ready until this week? Didn’t grasp the defense well yet?
Was Durr’s redshirt pulled for the bowl game?

Maybe Harris wasn’t game ready until this week? Didn’t grasp the defense well yet?
Was Durr’s redshirt pulled for the bowl game?

Durr played on special teams early last season and was banged up a little during the season, which didn't help his development.

Top Bottom