Clemson's Dabo Swinney congratulates Syracuse football in locker room after upset

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Very classy of Dabo. Per Syracuse.com:

After many of Syracuse football's players had filed out of the locker room following its 27-24 upset of No. 2 Clemson on Friday night, Dabo Swinney walked in.

The Clemson head coach, whose team just had its national championship dreams shaken, was there to congratulate the Orange -- akin to the gesture made by ex-Penn State coach Joe Paterno following SU's win over the Nittany Lions in 1987.

"To be knocked down like that, but have the humility to come over and congratulate us when he didn't have to and no one expected him to, I think that says a lot about who he is as a person and a coach," Syracuse senior linebacker Zaire Franklin said. "I thought that was dope as hell."

Swinney sought out SU senior wide receiver Steve Ishmael, who battled Clemson's defensive backs and officials en route to catching six balls for 73 yards and a touchdown. He took a photo with defensive players, and gradually made the rounds over the course of a few minutes.

"It was just humble," Franklin said. "I don't know how to even describe it. That was pretty awesome."

Swinney rushed onto the field after the Orange ran a final victory formation to congratulate Babers as well.

"I'm so happy for you," Swinney is seen saying on the television broadcast.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb..._swinney_syracuse_football_clemson_upset.html

Go Gophers!!

Yes, class act.

Wasn't it Mark Coyle that hired Dino Babers at Syracuse?

Extreme class, from a known class-act. I have heard a lot of great things about Dabo Swinney.

I'd argue it's easy to be magnanimous in defeat a few months after winning a national title.

I'd argue it's easy to be magnanimous in defeat a few months after winning a national title.

When's the last time Saban, Meyer etc did something so considerate? Quit being a cynical grinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I hope they find their way back into the top-four. That's super classy from a guy in a profession where most head coaches are bitter when they lose. And this couldn't have been a popular move for the booster or the ticket holders. I'd love to see them smack Alabama down.

That was a very classy thing for him to do.
Dabo started his career in the middle of the year and went 4-3 as Clemson went 7-6.
The following year they went 9-5, then dipped to 6-7 and followed that up with a 10-4 season followed by even more success.
For those of you that said Claeys was not a good choice to lead our program, it looks like TC was following the same
path as Dabo, just didn't get the time to complete the ascent. :p
Here's hoping that PJ will be able to take us to levels similar to Dabo and Clemson.

That was a very classy thing for him to do.
Dabo started his career in the middle of the year and went 4-3 as Clemson went 7-6.
The following year they went 9-5, then dipped to 6-7 and followed that up with a 10-4 season followed by even more success.
For those of you that said Claeys was not a good choice to lead our program, it looks like TC was following the same
path as Dabo, just didn't get the time to complete the ascent. :p
Here's hoping that PJ will be able to take us to levels similar to Dabo and Clemson.

Lol

Top Bottom