Pioneer Press: Gophers quarterback Demry Croft appears to be choice vs. Illinois

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

While Gophers coach P.J. Fleck didn’t name Demry Croft the starting quarterback after his resurgent fourth-quarter performance against Michigan State on Saturday, Croft has become the clear-cut choice to make his first collegiate start next week against Illinois.

That is, if the redshirt sophomore from Rockford, Ill., continues to rebuild the trust he damaged during a three-week, two-game suspension for undisclosed reasons.

“I’ll talk to you about it later in the week. I’m sure I will have a decision made,” Fleck said in his postgame news conference late Saturday night. “It’s something that I have to think about as a head football coach. I’ve got to do what’s best to give those guys in that locker room a chance to win.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/1...demry-croft-appears-to-be-choice-vs-illinois/

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure the depth chart will answer this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the decision really is about giving the team the best chance to win it would seem like it has to be Croft because Rhoda has been awful in Big Ten games. Croft may not be a ton better but at the very least he can run when things breakdown.

While I expect Croft to start, the headline and first paragraph are misleading. There's nothing in the article to say Croft "appears to be the choice." There's no information to support the statement in the first paragraph that "Croft has become the clear-cut choice." Greder doesn't know anymore than we do -- or at least isn't telling us.

If Croft isn't the starter then there is something else going on in Fleck's mind. 1) Croft can run and create 2) Just as good (or bad) as a passer as Rhoda 3) Should be here next year 4) Gives the Gophers the best chance to win. How can there even be a debate? Croft is saying all the right things too, like a dog begging for a bone. If it's not Croft, then Fleck has some sort of vendetta/agenda.

If Croft isn't the starter then there is something else going on in Fleck's mind. 1) Croft can run and create 2) Just as good (or bad) as a passer as Rhoda 3) Should be here next year 4) Gives the Gophers the best chance to win. How can there even be a debate? Croft is saying all the right things too, like a dog begging for a bone. If it's not Croft, then Fleck has some sort of vendetta/agenda.

Something else may be in Fleck's mind, such as ---

He may be is using recruiter talk to some very good High School QB's about coming here becuz with a Senior QB the chances for them here is wide open and now they see a Soph starting and doing well, so the recruit may have 2nd thoughts about MN.

Something else may be in Fleck's mind, such as ---

He may be is using recruiter talk to some very good High School QB's about coming here becuz with a Senior QB the chances for them here is wide open and now they see a Soph starting and doing well, so the recruit may have 2nd thoughts about MN.

I would hope that isn't the case.

I know if was only the 4th quarter while in catchup mode, but I'm excited to see if this offense can move the ball this next week.

If we go from a below average, run only offense, to a dangerous offense, suddenly the outlook changes for this team.

Thinking back on it I guess PJ will start Seth as both QBs experienced fumbles/bad snaps and neither fell on the program, er... the ball. Both picked it up and since PJ remains consistent in his punishments, both will have to sit out several series.
[emoji6][emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet the depth chart says

Connor Rhoda
or
Demry Croft

Predicting the depth chart will read:

QB:
Conor Rhoda
- or -
Demry Croft

Why would we show our hand, even if it should be obvious if ILL watches the MSU game film.

Predicting the depth chart will read:

QB:
Conor Rhoda
- or -
Demry Croft

Why would we show our hand, even if it should be obvious if ILL watches the MSU game film.

You are correct in that this will be how it is listed to keep up some mystery....just have to chuckle at these games coaches play with each other....if i am Illinois I would be preparing for Croft under center and the running element he brings to the table. If for some insane reason we put Rhoda back out there it is an easy adjustment to just tell the D forget about the QB run and key on the RB on run plays. Pretty much a non issue in the passing game as both appear pretty mediocre. But from a prep standpoint I can almost guarantee they are keying in on Croft and the potential for the QB run.

Top Bottom