STrib: Gophers quarterback Demry Croft embarks on the long road back to trust

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Croft’s running did help. He carried seven times for 31 yards, and this season has 127 yards on 14 carries, a 9.1-yard average. Rhoda, by comparison, has 18 yards on 17 rushes. And through the air in the fourth quarter, Croft went 8-for-14 for 131 yards and three TDs.

“He showed what he can do. He can create,” Fleck said. “He can take a broken play and get out of there. He can make the right throws.”

Said Croft, “It’s a blessed feeling to be out there with the guys and just keep rowing the boat and seeing the smile on everybody’s faces.”

Still, the coach emphasized that Croft must continue rebuilding trust.

“I’ve seen a difference,” Fleck said of Croft since his return. “It’s too early to say I’ve seen a big difference. Trust is built over a very long period of time. It’s not built on, ‘OK, I won’t do that.’ Trust is very hard to gain and very easy to lose. That’s going to be a process as we continue to go forward.”

When asked what he had learned from the suspension, Croft repeated one of Fleck’s mantras.

“Just change your best and grow every day and work on that,” he said.

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-qu...ck-to-trust/451018633/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!

per Randy:

Croft’s running did help. He carried seven times for 31 yards, and this season has 127 yards on 14 carries, a 9.1-yard average. Rhoda, by comparison, has 18 yards on 17 rushes. And through the air in the fourth quarter, Croft went 8-for-14 for 131 yards and three TDs.

“He showed what he can do. He can create,” Fleck said. “He can take a broken play and get out of there. He can make the right throws.”

Said Croft, “It’s a blessed feeling to be out there with the guys and just keep rowing the boat and seeing the smile on everybody’s faces.”

Still, the coach emphasized that Croft must continue rebuilding trust.

“I’ve seen a difference,” Fleck said of Croft since his return. “It’s too early to say I’ve seen a big difference. Trust is built over a very long period of time. It’s not built on, ‘OK, I won’t do that.’ Trust is very hard to gain and very easy to lose. That’s going to be a process as we continue to go forward.”

When asked what he had learned from the suspension, Croft repeated one of Fleck’s mantras.

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-qu...ck-to-trust/451018633/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!

Now I wonder if Croft's issue involved undermining PJ or talking negatively to other players about PJ's decision to name Rhoda the starter, and then pouting about it.

It’s pretty simple. When you break team rules, you let down your teammates, much more so than the coaches. If your teammates can’t count on you to live by the same rules as everyone else, how can they count on you out on the football field?

Here’s hoping Croft gets it together and earns that trust back and grows as a player at the same time. The starting QB spot is there for the taking if he just grabs onto it.

I'll be happy if Croft is the starter this week because if he is, it's signifying that he's developing as a human first, and a football player second.

That's the focus I like to see all U of M football players with. They need to be accountable to others for how they live their lives, and football results are always second.

It’s pretty simple. When you break team rules, you let down your teammates, much more so than the coaches. If your teammates can’t count on you to live by the same rules as everyone else, how can they count on you out on the football field?

Here’s hoping Croft gets it together and earns that trust back and grows as a player at the same time. The starting QB spot is there for the taking if he just grabs onto it.

After his interception in the first half, seeing many teammates go up to him and pat him on the helmet and it looked like they were offering words of encouragement, I believe the team has trust in him.

Good to have a clever QB!

Top Bottom