injury update

swingman

Reaction score
Injury update: Freshman running back Mike Epstein's loss for the season is devastating for the Illini. He was one of the most effective players on offense, leading the team with 6.1 yards per carry and 69.2 yards per game. During the game Illinois lost receiver Mike Dudek (knee) and linebackers Dele Harding (head) and Julian Jones ( knee). Smith alluded to Dudek's injury being short term. Illinois was also without safety Patrick Nelson (undisclosed) and cornerback Tony Adams (shoulder) at kickoff.

Are injuries occurring more frequently than the last decade or so? I don't know if the NCAA keeps any statistics.

What injuries are more prevalent? Are there any correlation between the type of playing field and the types of injuries sustained? What about the type & level of conditioning and practice? The Gophers were a MASH unit in 2015 the year they played TCU.

Could also just be people are less likely to play through the pain for minor injuries. I think now a days you're much more likely to see someone sit a game or two for something minor (especially if you have the depth at that position) to help make sure it heals all the way and hopefully doesn't become a reoccurring injury. Just my 2 cents.

So this was an Illinois injury update. Misleading thread title, albeit an accurate one :) Seriously though, that seems like a very banged-up team. We're also very banged-up. I'm feeling confident, but not gloat worthy confident.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) Illinois defensive back Tony Adams underwent season-ending shoulder surgery Illini coach Lovie Smith announced Tuesday. Adams suffered the injury two weeks ago at Iowa and didn’t play this past Saturday against Rutgers.

Adams appeared in five games for the Illini and had eight tackles, one sack and one interception. He also became the first true freshman cornerback to start in the season opener in over a decade.

Smith also said that linebacker Tre Watson underwent knee surgery on Tuesday. Watson is second on the team in total tackles with 45 and also has one interception and one fumble recovery. Smith didn’t rule Watson out for the season, but also didn’t offer a timetable for his return.

Watson’s injury adds to a litany of ailments that have struck Illinois’ linebacker unit this season. Jack Hansen tore his ACL back in training camp, and Julian Jones, Del’Shawn Phillips, Dele Harding and Ayo Shogbonyo were all injured against the Scarlet Knights.

Smith said that their statuses are unclear for the remaining practices of the week and Saturday’s road game at Minnesota.

So Illinois might be down arguably their 2 best offensive (Epstein, Dudek) and 2 best defensive (Phillips, Watson) players. Man the Illini can't catch a break.
Definitely a get well opportunity for the Gophers this weekend.

What’s the QB story with Illinois? I know Jeff George Jr has been playing. Did the other fellow get injured or benched?

Top Bottom