Gophers receive commitment from coveted 2018 DE Alex Reigelsperger

He becomes highest rated commitment.

Ohio DE Alex Reigelsperger commits to the Gophers

Dayton, OH (Wayne) DE Alex Reigelsperger has committed to the Gophers over offers from Kentucky, Arizona, Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and others. Reigelsperger is ranked as a four-star recruit by ESPN and sits at #149 on the ESPN 300 list. He was originally committed to Kentucky, but reopened his recruitment last week. The coveted defensive end visited the University of Minnesota campus this weekend for the night game with Michigan State.

Reigelsperger measures in at 6-foot-4, 240 pounds and has a quick first step off the edge. He wins with physicality and light feet to finesse opposing offensive tackles. He is not a freaky athlete with major size, but he is a tough and physical player. Reigelsperger plays through the whistle and often wins with his first step and an occasional spin move or long arm jab. He also has shown an ability to find his pass rushing angles and win by setting up his moves methodically.

At the next level, it’s clear he’ll need to add more weight to stack up against the quality offensive tackles in the Big Ten. He doesn’t possess a ton of bend, which is something he’ll need to add at the next level to develop more dominant pass rushing moves. However, the potential tools are available to further craft his pass rushing arsenal under the instruction of defensive line coach Bryce Paup. I can see him being a very solid and reliable 4-3 defensive end in this system.

The Gophers needed to add more defensive end talent and Reigelsperger is a major addition to Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class. Head coach P.J. Fleck is continuing to build a recruiting class that could crack the top-25. According to 24/7 Sports rankings, this is the Gophers' 23rd commitment and the class currently ranks 33rd nationally.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6459399/583b94cd5b3cda08106a3ece' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome!!! You'll enjoy you're new teammates and the State of Minnesota!!!

Nice pick up, at a position of need too! Welcome aboard Alex!

Offers from Wisconsin, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisville, many others!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice get. Sounds like he needs to put on weight. We do need DE bad so I wonder if will throw this kid into the fire right away or give him a year to bulk up

He's also an early enrollee so will be here in January.

It's positive moment despite our losing streak.

Someone on here questioned how we could recruit while losing to Maryland, but evidently it can still be done for those of you who had doubts.

It's positive moment despite our losing streak.

Someone on here questioned how we could recruit while losing to Maryland, but evidently it can still be done for those of you who had doubts.

I said before that it's not uncommon for teams with poor records to land good classes.

And he was here for a crappy weather game with a thin crowd. I don't think anyone thought that Fleck would have trouble getting recruits amped to play for him. Now let's put tally's in the win column!

And he was here for a crappy weather game with a thin crowd. I don't think anyone thought that Fleck would have trouble getting recruits amped to play for him. Now let's put tally's in the win column!

I'm glad we have a coach who has a vision for the program and who can sell it to recruits.

Very good. Now if Devers can dig himself out of the dog house and put on weight, we can shore up the outside.

Top Bottom