Gophers receive commitment from coveted 2018 DE Alex Reigelsperger

And a year from now, we'll hear how he has to red-shirt, because he's not ready to play.

Call me simple, but it just amuses me that, when the Gophers sign these kids, everyone gushes about how good they are. Then, a few months later, it's "he's not ready to play."

Just a thought, but maybe they could try recruiting a few people who are ready to play, just in case.

Very few lineman (offense and defense) are ready to play as true freshman. They're just not strong enough. There are exceptions but most of the time those guys are very highly recruited and rated guys.

Very few lineman (offense and defense) are ready to play as true freshman. They're just not strong enough. There are exceptions but most of the time those guys are very highly recruited and rated guys.

Through spring practice and summer he could put on 25-30 pounds. By the time he is a junior he could end up a DT We have seen this before when we had better DEs than we do now. I do not expect him to redshirt.

And a year from now, we'll hear how he has to red-shirt, because he's not ready to play.

Call me simple, but it just amuses me that, when the Gophers sign these kids, everyone gushes about how good they are. Then, a few months later, it's "he's not ready to play."

Just a thought, but maybe they could try recruiting a few people who are ready to play, just in case.

Lol

Texas, UCLA, and Oregon having a down year and still pulling a top 25 class is a different recruiting situation all together, relative to the Gophers.

There's a big difference between saying, "it's not uncommon for Oregon to have a top 25 class, regardless of record," and "it's not uncommon for a losing program to have a good recruiting class."

I get what you're trying to do, but not sure it's intellectually homest.

I stand by what I said. You picked the teams that matched your narrative. Really I don't have to just look at the top 25 classes either. A good class by gopher standards is top 40, I'm sure I could find even more examples in that case. I don't know why it's that crazy of an idea, we all saw Brewster land good classes without wins.

I stand by what I said. You picked the teams that matched your narrative. Really I don't have to just look at the top 25 classes either. A good class by gopher standards is top 40, I'm sure I could find even more examples in that case. I don't know why it's that crazy of an idea, we all saw Brewster land good classes without wins.

You essentially defined a good class as top 25 earlier so let's not change the standard as we progress toward seeing where we end up this year.

As for Brewster I believe he was top 25 for one class, which was quickly demoted once several never made it on the field so not sure I'd use that to prove a point.

I think the big question is will PJ be able to build on a decent ranking this year, especially if we do not progress next year. As many have shown, programs with a new staff can often wow the fan base with an initial surge in class ranking, however that improvement is often fleeting without keeping 18 year olds interested by improving the product on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You essentially defined a good class as top 25 earlier so let's not change the standard as we progress toward seeing where we end up this year.

As for Brewster I believe he was top 25 for one class, which was quickly demoted once several never made it on the field so not sure I'd use that to prove a point.

I think the big question is will PJ be able to build on a decent ranking this year, especially if we do not progress next year. As many have shown, programs with a new staff can often wow the fan base with an initial surge in class ranking, however that improvement is often fleeting without keeping 18 year olds interested by improving the product on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't define that as good. I just went with it cause I had already found like 6 teams that proved my point. The standard gopher class is not top 40, so top 40 would be a good gopher class, has nothing to do with where we are ranked this year.

The point I was trying to make is that - in my opinion - most of these recruits get over-hyped. someone watches a few minutes of (carefully edited) highlight tapes, and decides that recruit X is this game-changing phenom.

A true FR may - I repeat may - be able to come in and contribute right away at the right position in the right scheme. Certain RB's can play right away - ask the Badgers. A few WR's or DB's may be able to play right away on speed and raw athleticism. Linemen, not so much. no substitute for strength and mature muscle growth.

But, the vast majority of recruits are not ready to jump into the starting lineup.

Again, my point is that most recruits are over-hyped. The new DE recruit may turn out to be a productive player. I don't expect him to be a game-changer as a FR. I don't expect any recruit to be a game-changer as a FR. If it happens, great. But you can't bank on it.

My point again - tone down the hype on the recruits. Every year on signing day, I come on this board and read about this incredible class the Gopher signed - and I just shake my head, because odds are that at least half of those players will never live up to the hype.

These are the elite recruits PJ said he is bringing in, no?

It happens. A couple years back we had a HS kid graduate early who went to Georgia and started at LT from day 1.

Interesting that Rivals has both Teague and Henderson rated higher.

On one of these recruiting threads someone provided a link to the Kentucky board after Reigelsperger decommitted. Much like often happens here, they were quick to say they already had better recruits and would easily find someone better to take his place.

For what it's worth, they also made it sound like he was slated for linebacker there.

For what it's worth, they also made it sound like he was slated for linebacker there.

Weighing 240-250 as a senior in HS? Not a chance. Then again, no one ever accused the Kentucky football fan base of having a high football IQ.

Again, my point is that most recruits are over-hyped. The new DE recruit may turn out to be a productive player. I don't expect him to be a game-changer as a FR. I don't expect any recruit to be a game-changer as a FR. If it happens, great. But you can't bank on it.

Yet Fleck was expected to maintain or even improve what was a depleted group of players right away....

per Greder:

Reiglsperger got his first scholarship from Kentucky in January 2016 and made his first campus visit to see Fleck at Western Michigan that February. Fleck offered Reigelsperger a scholarship on that stop in Kalamazoo, Mich., but he committed to Kentucky last February. He rescinded that commitment Oct 9.

“I’ve moved on and I’m a Gopher now,” Reigelsperger said of his decision. “I’m going to be a Gopher for three or four years and for years after that. I’m focused on getting a state (championship) ring (with his high school team), and if that doesn’t work out, I’m focused on winning a national championship at Minnesota.”

Reigelsperger plans to enroll at Minnesota in January. The Gophers anticipate anywhere from four to eight pledges from the 2018 class starting college this winter.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/19/top-recruit-alex-reigelsperger-made-haste-in-picking-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

Reiglsperger got his first scholarship from Kentucky in January 2016 and made his first campus visit to see Fleck at Western Michigan that February. Fleck offered Reigelsperger a scholarship on that stop in Kalamazoo, Mich., but he committed to Kentucky last February. He rescinded that commitment Oct 9.

“I’ve moved on and I’m a Gopher now,” Reigelsperger said of his decision. “I’m going to be a Gopher for three or four years and for years after that. I’m focused on getting a state (championship) ring (with his high school team), and if that doesn’t work out, I’m focused on winning a national championship at Minnesota.”

Reigelsperger plans to enroll at Minnesota in January. The Gophers anticipate anywhere from four to eight pledges from the 2018 class starting college this winter.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/19/top-recruit-alex-reigelsperger-made-haste-in-picking-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

I hope he wins a state championship.

Top Bottom