Gophers receive commitment from coveted 2018 DE Alex Reigelsperger

And a year from now, we'll hear how he has to red-shirt, because he's not ready to play.

Call me simple, but it just amuses me that, when the Gophers sign these kids, everyone gushes about how good they are. Then, a few months later, it's "he's not ready to play."

Just a thought, but maybe they could try recruiting a few people who are ready to play, just in case.

And a year from now, we'll hear how he has to red-shirt, because he's not ready to play.

Call me simple, but it just amuses me that, when the Gophers sign these kids, everyone gushes about how good they are. Then, a few months later, it's "he's not ready to play."

Just a thought, but maybe they could try recruiting a few people who are ready to play, just in case.

So because they're good HS players it mean they should effortlessly transition into contributing as true freshmen in the Big Ten? Slight jump up in competition.

Most of the DEs that are ready to play- and contribute significantly are likely to be consensus 4* kids. We haven't raised our recruiting game to that level yet

The fleck effect stealing us some 4 or 5 star recruits before we merit them? Good if so.

UCLA, Miss St, Maryland, Oregon, Texas, and South Carolina all finished in the top 25 despite losing records.

Texas, UCLA, and Oregon having a down year and still pulling a top 25 class is a different recruiting situation all together, relative to the Gophers.

There's a big difference between saying, "it's not uncommon for Oregon to have a top 25 class, regardless of record," and "it's not uncommon for a losing program to have a good recruiting class."

I get what you're trying to do, but not sure it's intellectually homest.

You've been chock-full of extra-bad hot takes lately.

Elite recruiting. Yet?

When?

I said yet because we certainly aren't there despite the platitudes many on this board are handing out. PJ has proven to be adept at attracting and gaining commitments from mid-3* guys to date, and while Alex is our top rated commit to date he still falls into that category from a composite standpoint.

When? That's the big question. Would be a thread topic all its own and probably not fair to Alex and those wanting to read about his commitment to detail this further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think cheering recruiting and red shirting conflict...

Alex upgrades this recruiting class. He is a very good get! He could see where he could start as a freshman with the ball bouncing the right way for him. Spring practice means a lot to a freshman.

Alex is our highest rated recruit and he plans to enroll in January. Those sound like positives to me.

Alex upgrades this recruiting class. He is a very good get! He could see where he could start as a freshman with the ball bouncing the right way for him. Spring practice means a lot to a freshman.

I hope he's putting on a ton of weight if you expect him to start as a frosh. I'm tired of watching 245# DEs get pushed around these last few weeks

I'm looking at his junior video.

If his senior video looks the same, he was recruited entirely on his measurables, which are clearly impressive. Physically, the dude is a mack truck.

I'm looking at his junior video.

If his senior video looks the same, he was recruited entirely on his measurables, which are clearly impressive. Physically, the dude is a mack truck.

Yeah he's a bulldozer in most of those videos.

Great recruit at a position of need. Nothing not to like here.

If we red shirt him, not saying we will or won't, but if we do I think it will be out of more of a "He needs to bulk up" and "become part of the team" more than "he's not ready to play talent wise". We won't know until next year though.

Highest ranked DL the Gophers have recruited since the start of the internet

Didn't he have some sort of career ending injury?

Excellent choice of schools by this young man.
Potential early enrollee? Always nice to know that admission problems and academics are not a hint of a factor.
:clap:

From a composite standpoint, Matt Garin was rated more highly.

I liked him, but he drove me nuts by never setting the edge and always trying to work underneath his blocker and having running plays go right past his edge.

Top Bottom