PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 10-15-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday. (fairly short segment)

Sid: problems with Weather - how does that hamper getting started?
PJF: both teams have to play in it. part of B1G ball. have to play through it.

Sid: offense had a Fumble right away.
PJF: Bunch of things happened right off the bat. we get ball inside the 5 and fumbled a snap, had to settle for a field goal. later we had an exchange that wasn't supposed to happen. can't beat ourselves like that. got to find right people who can execute.

Sid: end of game Croft looked unbelieveable
PJF: we got behind early, game plan changes once that happens. thought we did a decent job in 2nd half.

Sid: Defense - forced MSU to try FG's.
PJF: we did a really good job. we're not very deep on defense. kids are playing so hard. we get takeaways. have to be able to execute better on offense, special teams have to help. have to do better job of stopping the run.

Mona: short 4 or 5 starters? feeling on who might be back?
PJF: probably not going to change. we lost more last night. lot of guys we don't get back. what we have is what we have. got to get them ready to play at high level.

Max: Croft to Johnson. Pleased with (Croft's) reads and progressions?
PJF: watched film already. I usually watch it around 3 times. proud of the way he played. did really good job of executing offense, "second" play - create something on the run. keeping play alive - letting receivers come back to football. has unique ability to get out of trouble.

Sid: what was your thinking when brought Croft in?
PJF: staff met on Friday. talked about putting Demry in for a series or 2. more a case of, had a lot of things happen in 1st quarter that shouldn't happen. felt this is a good time to see what Demry could do. threw an INT right away. after halftime, said we'll see how he responds as far as being the guy coming out of the locker room.

Sid: will you get injured players back?
PJF: doesn't look like it. we'll do what we can to get (remaining) players ready to play a high level.

Mona: Smith and Brooks - running hard, but not getting a lot of yards.
PJF: It's Nothing we're doing differently. we do change the blocking scheme once in a while. didn't have opportunity. we got behind - changes game plan. had to rely more on passing game.

Sid: What you do to get running game better?
PJF: didn't have opportunities. don't think it's in a bad position. need to develop young linemen up front. lost Lingen - another FR went in game at TE. continue to give RB's opportunity - find other ways to get them the football, in passing game. they're some of our best players, need to get ball in their hands.

Mona: so many players getting injured. explain the red-shirt rule.
PJF: hard part of playing FR is that they're FR. some are physically ready to play - some you don't want to play. we're in position where kids you want to redshirt, you have to play them. they get hurt because they're not physically ready. the roster is the result of the last two years of recruiting. that's who we have. need to build roster going forward. once you set foot on field, can't be red-shirted. but if you get injured, can apply for a medical red-shirt. a 5th year. but once you step foot on field, can't get true red-shirt year back. lot of instances where we'll see what we can do (with medical red-shirts)

Sid: MSU beat IA, Mich. you've got a chance to get 6 wins.
PJF: I told players after game that it's time to draw a line in the sand. we're 3-3 - those 6 games are over. we've had a lot of adversity thrown our way. this is our chance to respond. we're 3 minutes, 45 seconds away from being 6-0. we've been in every game. had lead in last minute of games. we've played with the best teams in our league. we've showed what future looks like with young, inexperienced bunch. need to show what they've learned for next 6 games. I was very emotional after game. we'll come back with practice today, work to correct things.

Sid: Murray's certificate.
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Thanks SON ... sounds like we’ll be ready for Illinois!

I don't always remember to take a minute out of my Sunday to thank you, but, once again, thanks SON for your ongoing effort to bring this to us.

We HAVE to kick some Illinois a*s on Saturday! The program needs a win, the fans need a win, I need a win.

Seems pretty irresponsible for them not to ask who the starter is moving forward. Has to be Croft and he probably wouldn't have answered, but the question should have been asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update Son. Very much appreciated!

Great report SON. Thank you

Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday. (fairly short segment)

Sid: problems with Weather - how does that hamper getting started?
PJF: both teams have to play in it. part of B1G ball. have to play through it.

Sid: offense had a Fumble right away.
PJF: Bunch of things happened right off the bat. we get ball inside the 5 and fumbled a snap, had to settle for a field goal. later we had an exchange that wasn't supposed to happen. can't beat ourselves like that. got to find right people who can execute.

Sid: end of game Croft looked unbelieveable
PJF: we got behind early, game plan changes once that happens. thought we did a decent job in 2nd half.

Sid: Defense - forced MSU to try FG's.
PJF: we did a really good job. we're not very deep on defense. kids are playing so hard. we get takeaways. have to be able to execute better on offense, special teams have to help. have to do better job of stopping the run.

Mona: short 4 or 5 starters? feeling on who might be back?
PJF: probably not going to change. we lost more last night. lot of guys we don't get back. what we have is what we have. got to get them ready to play at high level.

Max: Croft to Johnson. Pleased with (Croft's) reads and progressions?
PJF: watched film already. I usually watch it around 3 times. proud of the way he played. did really good job of executing offense, "second" play - create something on the run. keeping play alive - letting receivers come back to football. has unique ability to get out of trouble.

Sid: what was your thinking when brought Croft in?
PJF: staff met on Friday. talked about putting Demry in for a series or 2. more a case of, had a lot of things happen in 1st quarter that shouldn't happen. felt this is a good time to see what Demry could do. threw an INT right away. after halftime, said we'll see how he responds as far as being the guy coming out of the locker room.

Sid: will you get injured players back?
PJF: doesn't look like it. we'll do what we can to get (remaining) players ready to play a high level.

Mona: Smith and Brooks - running hard, but not getting a lot of yards.
PJF: It's Nothing we're doing differently. we do change the blocking scheme once in a while. didn't have opportunity. we got behind - changes game plan. had to rely more on passing game.

Sid: What you do to get running game better?
PJF: didn't have opportunities. don't think it's in a bad position. need to develop young linemen up front. lost Lingen - another FR went in game at TE. continue to give RB's opportunity - find other ways to get them the football, in passing game. they're some of our best players, need to get ball in their hands.

Mona: so many players getting injured. explain the red-shirt rule.
PJF: hard part of playing FR is that they're FR. some are physically ready to play - some you don't want to play. we're in position where kids you want to redshirt, you have to play them. they get hurt because they're not physically ready. the roster is the result of the last two years of recruiting. that's who we have. need to build roster going forward. once you set foot on field, can't be red-shirted. but if you get injured, can apply for a medical red-shirt. a 5th year. but once you step foot on field, can't get true red-shirt year back. lot of instances where we'll see what we can do (with medical red-shirts)

Sid: MSU beat IA, Mich. you've got a chance to get 6 wins.
PJF: I told players after game that it's time to draw a line in the sand. we're 3-3 - those 6 games are over. we've had a lot of adversity thrown our way. this is our chance to respond. we're 3 minutes, 45 seconds away from being 6-0. we've been in every game. had lead in last minute of games. We've played with the best teams in our league. We've showed what future looks like with young, inexperienced bunch. need to show what they've learned for next 6 games. I was very emotional after game. we'll come back with practice today, work to correct things.

Sid: Murray's certificate.
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Ummmm, gentleman, please refer to the above highlighted sentence. If indeed PJ said this, I'm wondering if he understands which conference we're in. That's really odd.

Ummmm, gentleman, please refer to the above highlighted sentence. If indeed PJ said this, I'm wondering if he understands which conference we're in. That's really odd.
I was going to point out that same sentence, I never dreamed MD and Purdont make up the top tier progrums in the b1g, maybe basketball....can't believe we are 0-3 with this schedule with all the positives we had coming into this year, hard to swallow then the coach states that idiotic statement...whatever

FWIW, the line that stood out to me was:

the roster is the result of the last two years of recruiting.

On one level, he's correct. But, depending on your point of view, it could be seen as blaming the previous coaches. (those s-o-b's left me with this horse-bleep roster........)

Or, it could also be seen as the coach making excuses for the team's (and coaching staff's) performance.

I have learned over the years that 9 times out of 10, when a thought like that crosses your mind, you are better off keeping your mouth shut. saying it may make you feel better for a moment, but you're probably just going to tick off people by saying it - even if it is accurate.

On one level, he's correct. But, depending on your point of view, it could be seen as blaming the previous coaches. (those s-o-b's left me with this horse-bleep roster........)

Or, it could also be seen as the coach making excuses for the team's (and coaching staff's) performance.

I have learned over the years that 9 times out of 10, when a thought like that crosses your mind, you are better off keeping your mouth shut. saying it may make you feel better for a moment, but you're probably just going to tick off people by saying it - even if it is accurate.

+105

I just wish he was more mature. He believes his schtick is innovative and revolutionary. It's actually sort of hokey. "But the kids love it". No wonder Meyer, Dantonio, Alvarez, Chryst, have so much trouble attracting kids. They're just so dull.

Yes, it was stupid for him to say that about the last 2 years, but perhaps it's true.

However, to say we've competed with the best in the league is blatantly not true and falls within the realm of delusional. That's why it's the most controversial statement in his interview.

Thanks for the report.
Highway Man isn’t going to like Fleck’s explanation of “redshirting”.

Top Bottom