Gophers change quarterbacks, suffer close loss to Michigan State

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Michigan State running back LJ Scott rushed for 194 yards and two touchdowns as the Spartans ran past the Gophers for a 30-27 win at TCF Bank Stadium. In a night that featured stagnant first half offense, Minnesota made a quarterback change. Sophomore Demry Croft took over for senior Conor Rhoda and led the Gophers on three scoring drives, completing 11 of his 20 passes for 163 yards. Wide receiver Tyler Johnson added three receiving touchdowns, but it wasn’t enough as the Gophers dropped their third straight conference game.

Gophers make a quarterback change

The coaches decided to make a quarterback change at the 6:38 mark of the second quarter, bringing sophomore Demry Croft into the game. Croft got the offense moving and stepped into the pocket to complete a 21-yard pass to Tyler Johnson. A few plays later, his arm was hit, but he threw into double coverage with a safety over the top. The pass was intercepted, halting a drive that showed signs of life for the Gophers’ offense. The Gophers had the ball for just 1:32 in the third quarter. When they finally regained possession, Croft connected with wide receiver Tyler Johnson for a 28-yard score. He took off for several runs and connected with Johnson for scores of 17 and 9 yards. The defense respected Croft’s legs and it opened up more opportunities for playmakers. Additional explosive plays followed as Croft slowly picked apart the defense. The run-pass option looks appeared to flow better, but it will be worth seeing him play a complete game, instead of in late fourth quarter prevent situations.

Rhoda struggles, Mark Williams shows potential

A rainy night and a weather delay helped the Gophers force an early takeaway. Minnesota recovered a bobbled snap by Michigan State punter Jake Hartbarger inside the Spartans three-yard-line. However, Conor Rhoda fumbled a snap and threw two consecutive incompletions. It was a tough start for a Gophers offense that accumulated -4 total yards on their first three drives. Later in the first half, they were unable to capitalize off a turnover and fumbled inside the ten-yard-line. Rhoda lost control of snaps and struggled to go through his progressions.

On a third down play, he failed to execute his reads and didn’t find the outlet option on the backside. Rhoda was drifting in the pocket and backpedaling, rather than climbing the pocket. In the first quarter, the Gophers had just one first down and 23 yards of total offense on 16 plays.

Rhoda later missed a wide-open Mark Williams, who had more than seven yards of separation on the defensive back. Williams saw more playing time and was open on three passing plays because of his starts and quick angles. He was gaining 5-7 yards of separation off the line of scrimmage because of his ability to sell routes. Williams finished the night with two catches for 43 yards, including a 22-yard grab. He will continue to see playing time as the Gophers search for playmakers. In addition, wide receiver Tyler Johnson also continued his strong season, grabbing three touchdowns. He was running effective routes off vertical stems and other concepts.

Gophers’ rushing attack stopped

Entering the game, Michigan State had the 12th ranked rush defense in the country. They slowed a Gophers’ rushing attack that ranked third in the Big Ten. Minnesota averaged just 2.7 yards per carry and the offense didn’t get adequate push up front. When Croft was in the game, it appeared interior lanes opened and he sprinted for 31 yards on seven attempts. He also found playmakers up the field as linebackers bit down hard for the run-pass option looks. The running game may find more life if the Gophers commit to making a quarterback change. However, the offensive line will certainly need to get healthy and improve its performance, too.

MORE: http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2017/10/gophers-change-quarterbacks-suffer-close-loss-michigan-state/

I've seen it mentioned now by you and another that MSU was in prevent defense and I don't recall that. There might have been a few plays, but seemed like for the most part they played their typical press coverage, brought blitzes, had the safeties up within 10 yards etc during those last 3 TD drives. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen it mentioned now by you and another that MSU was in prevent defense and I don't recall that. There might have been a few plays, but seemed like for the most part they played their typical press coverage, brought blitzes, had the safeties up within 10 yards etc during those last 3 TD drives. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought I saw similar. It didn't seem to be the "play back, keep things in front of you" defense.

Also agree...didn't see a prevent from MSU. Williams is yet another player to step up given the opportunity. Really liked the short passes to Brooks as well. Saw a lot more of what I expected from this offense.

Howard was listed as a starter but I don't think he made the field. Did I miss him?

Also agree...didn't see a prevent from MSU. Williams is yet another player to step up given the opportunity. Really liked the short passes to Brooks as well. Saw a lot more of what I expected from this offense.

Howard was listed as a starter but I don't think he made the field. Did I miss him?

You did not see a "prevent" defense or wholesale 2nd-3rd string substitutions as mentioned here and there. If you watched the MSU bench during the last few minutes, there was a fair bit of concern.

You did not see a "prevent" defense or wholesale 2nd-3rd string substitutions as mentioned here and there. If you watched the MSU bench during the last few minutes, there was a fair bit of concern.

I said I didn't see a prevent defense...?

Not wrong at all. MSU was not running a prevent. They were playing regular D and bringing pressure by blitzing. If anything, they had no concern about our running attack at that point, because we were behind. They were focused on stopping the pass and getting pressure, yet the OL held strong and Croft used his mobility to escape when needed and we made many good plays in the passing game.
Saying MSU was in prevent just minimizes what the offense was able to do during that 4th quarter.

What qualifies as prevent?

I thought MSU's secondary was playing way back in most plays opening up the middle of the field late in the game.

I thought Rhoda gave the team the best chance to win?

Pj?

Dantonio calling his last timeout at the end says it all. They were reeling.

A big cheer came up when that happened.

Pj?

I think he said that was the best person for the program at the time.

In the 2nd half, Croft was the best person for the program at that time.

What qualifies as prevent?

I thought MSU's secondary was playing way back in most plays opening up the middle of the field late in the game.

It's fair to wonder if MSU lost a little bit of their edge after going up by 3 scores but pretty sure they played "typical" defense for the most part. Brought 5 on many occasions. I think the ability of
Croft to step up and scramble allowed time for the middle to clear out. Hard to play prevent within 10 yards of the goal line as well.

I think its fair to say they didn't expect Croft to be put in. They didn't plan for it, so he was able to open it up a lot. I think Croft should start moving forward, but his actual affect on the offense is probably a bit less than what we saw yesterday. If MSU had planned for him, I think it would have been a bit harder to score, but I still think we would have won.

Then again, MSU has had trouble against mobile QBs this year, so it could have also been that.

Pj?

Yea, that was said before the game. PJ also put in Croft, so what point in time do you want to hold up for criticism? PJ also said he has been looking for one of the QB’s to step up and take control of the team. Rhoda seemed to do that earlier in the preseason, but Croft’s second chance gave him the chance to take control of the team. Everyone, I repeat, Everyone thought that Croft had the greater skill set and upside. But until this game he had not taken charge of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching the game, I never got the impression that we utilized Croft’s running. Did he even keep it on a single read-option? He moved in the pocket a bit, but what he contributed to the effort was through the air. Lots of room for improvement if they let him run some going forward.

Top Bottom