Toss Sweeps toooooo easy

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Watching in fast mode on DVR ... Don’t know if I have seen so many toss sweeps since Jr. High. They were too easy. We were just being driven off the line. That needs to be fixed or we are going to see a lot more of it.

Watching in fast mode on DVR ... Don’t know if I have seen so many toss sweeps since Jr. High. They were too easy. We were just being driven off the line. That needs to be fixed or we are going to see a lot more of it.

I haven’t watched the Spartans previously this year, and I was wondering if this is their common running play? Or if they saw on film that the Gophers were so thin at the edge that it was something they could exploit? It was dominant.

I remember when Michigan State last played here with Le’Veon Bell. It was similar to this.

I haven’t watched the Spartans previously this year, and I was wondering if this is their common running play? Or if they saw on film that the Gophers were so thin at the edge that it was something they could exploit? It was dominant.

I remember when Michigan State last played here with Le’Veon Bell. It was similar to this.

I haven’t watched them either so don’t know. Are we so under sized that they were able to get such a dominant push on us? I’m sure that will be a focus of recruiting.

I'm sure they watched the Maryland game and saw how they constantly got around the edge.

We noted it all night while watching, both at the stadium and after we left at halftime. They consistently beat us to the edge with more blockers than we had defense.

Our defense has regressed quite a bit this year. Coaches can whine about personnel for this one year and it will be forgiven. But I don't like the trend we're on.

We noted it all night while watching, both at the stadium and after we left at halftime. They consistently beat us to the edge with more blockers than we had defense.

Our defense has regressed quite a bit this year. Coaches can whine about personnel for this one year and it will be forgiven. But I don't like the trend we're on.

Can't argue with the stats. Gophers have given up 8 more points per game and 50 more yards p.g. in 3 conference games this year compared to last year conference season. It's only 3 games so I sure hope to see some improvement...but I'm skeptical. We might need more offense to offset less defense.

Can't argue with the stats. Gophers have given up 8 more points per game and 50 more yards p.g. in 3 conference games this year compared to last year conference season. It's only 3 games so I sure hope to see some improvement...but I'm skeptical. We might need more offense to offset less defense.

Long clock eating drives certainly make a defense look better and perform better.

I agree, but the defense has also been on the field a lot in the last 3 games. TOP this game was very lopsided to MSU, and was safely in favor of MD and Purdue in those games. Hopefully the 4th qtr performance from the offense means they can hold the ball longer

That MSU toss sweep with two blockers ran like a runaway locomotive. That was great game planning on the Spartans.

They took advantage of arguably our biggest weakness on our defense, which is our DE's. I've posted it many times but we're trying to run a 43 with one guy who has the size to be there but is a true freshman (Umlor), an undersized supposed pass rusher in DLB and a guy who is really a OLB in Coughlin. It ain't hard to see, the power run teams are going to run at the edges of us and they will do so with ease.

They took advantage of arguably our biggest weakness on our defense, which is our DE's. I've posted it many times but we're trying to run a 43 with one guy who has the size to be there but is a true freshman (Umlor), an undersized supposed pass rusher in DLB and a guy who is really a OLB in Coughlin. It ain't hard to see, the power run teams are going to run at the edges of us and they will do so with ease.

I've been told on here many times that the only way you can run to the outside is if you have speed in the backfield. The MSU backs were not any faster than our backs. Yet MSU was able to get outside all night. And their online is young. Maybe just maybe running to the outside has more to do with how you block and what type of blocking scheme is used as opposed to how fast the back is.

I would also think with a faster DE and better OLB play you could string the play out and wait for the pursuit to slow those plays down. We just didn't do a good job of getting off blocks and or filling the gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure they watched the Maryland game and saw how they constantly got around the edge.

Yes, this. I posted multiple rants about not being able to hold the edge. I will say this much. I am proud of the overall effort that I saw verse MSU. The defense will need to figure out ways to create pressure and not let them get to the edge. Saw lots of pulling by their guards creating carvan of blockers.

Yes, this. I posted multiple rants about not being able to hold the edge. I will say this much. I am proud of the overall effort that I saw verse MSU. The defense will need to figure out ways to create pressure and not let them get to the edge. Saw lots of pulling by their guards creating carvan of blockers.

MSU had no problem getting to the corner when you consider that the Gophers were playing some decoys on the defensive side of the ball. Hard to believe that they are the best we have available. Once again hardly anything from our defensive tackles ( yea I know Richardson supposedly caused a fumble which I question.). If our defensive ends aren't tough enough or big enough, then go the other way and play quickness - just do something different to indicate that the coaches are trying to shore up the noticeable weakness. Perhaps Illinois will not challenge us at the perimeter but everyone else on the schedule will. I could see Iowa and Becky going for 400+yards on the ground.

Fleck made a good point as well. With young DB's they are not as confident and strong in run support.

MSU had no problem getting to the corner when you consider that the Gophers were playing some decoys on the defensive side of the ball. Hard to believe that they are the best we have available. Once again hardly anything from our defensive tackles ( yea I know Richardson supposedly caused a fumble which I question.). If our defensive ends aren't tough enough or big enough, then go the other way and play quickness - just do something different to indicate that the coaches are trying to shore up the noticeable weakness. Perhaps Illinois will not challenge us at the perimeter but everyone else on the schedule will. I could see Iowa and Becky going for 400+yards on the ground.

I thought Richardson had a good game. He got in the backfield a few times and MSU rarely had success running inside.
With the caravan of blockers they had our outside linebackers and d backs just got pushed back and were forced to try arm tackles.

Haven't been glued to the television for the games, but in the bits I've watched, you've got it in a nutshell. Have to get bigger on the outside.

You question he caused a fumble where he clearly striped the running back 2 yards in the backfield?

Top Bottom