Next petition bring back Jay Sawvel or better DC

Jay Sawvel and Claeys lost to Michigan 58-0 in year 1. In year 1, everyone on here who now thinks Kill, Claeys and Sawvel are the greatest coaches ever were questioning why we hired a MAC staff. The last staff beat 1 top 25 team in 6 years. They were 0-6 vs Wisky.

Seriously, if that's the mountaintop, please let me know and I'll go find a new hobby.

I don't think we struggled because of the defense. Is that your thesis?

Lol they didn't have nearly the talent Fleck inherited. And that Michigan team won the Sugar Bowl. Purdue and Maryland will be lucky to get to a bowl game. That same gopher team beat a pretty good Iowa team as well

Having more talent than that ... still isn't necessary much.

Fleck has torn apart a 9 win team. Where there has some improvement in coaching in a few aspects, overall it has taken a huge hit. Add to the grossly inappropriate action of the U to the disgusting "recruiting" event. There has been a lot of self-inflicted damage to the program. You simply do not pay a coach $3.5M to tear apart a program. That is what you pay someone to tune up and improve a good program. 9 wins is a good program and one that is getting ready to win the trophy games.

One year of 9 win football does not make you a good solid football program. Getting ready to win the trophy games?? What are you talking about? We lost our QB, our best returning player on defense was 3rd team all conference last year, on offense did we have anyone even on the 3rd team? There's depth issues pretty much everywhere but rb and linebacker at this point.

Lol they didn't have nearly the talent Fleck inherited. And that Michigan team won the Sugar Bowl. Purdue and Maryland will be lucky to get to a bowl game. That same gopher team beat a pretty good Iowa team as well

Who are these great talents Fleck inherited? I keep hearing that Fleck was left with a treasure trove of talent that he is squandering.

Jay Sawvel and Claeys lost to Michigan 58-0 in year 1. In year 1, everyone on here who now thinks Kill, Claeys and Sawvel are the greatest coaches ever were questioning why we hired a MAC staff. The last staff beat 1 top 25 team in 6 years. They were 0-6 vs Wisky.

Seriously, if that's the mountaintop, please let me know and I'll go find a new hobby.

You nailed it

One year of 9 win football does not make you a good solid football program. Getting ready to win the trophy games?? What are you talking about? We lost our QB, our best returning player on defense was 3rd team all conference last year, on offense did we have anyone even on the 3rd team? There's depth issues pretty much everywhere but rb and linebacker at this point.

It's college football. New guys start and/or play every year. 2016 class highest ranked since Brew's 2008 class IIRC. Young talent plus some solid upperclassmen returned. Our QB wasn't great, although better than Rhoda. We can play down to low expectations or challenge the guys to become great.

Kill Claeys d was the best at minn in decades. Admit it.

What a low bar to clear. It was still an average B1G defense, which is why the Gophers were a mediocre program under Kill/Claeys. Most B1G teams have good defenses.

Kill Claeys d was the best at minn in decades. Admit it.

He will never do that.
You are correct, the D during the Claeys/Sawvell years is the best we have seen in a long long time and it isn't even that close. They were not perfect by any stretch, but they were very good and sometimes great during those years. We won games because of the D more so than at anytime in the past 50 years. The win at scUM was a prime example.

It's college football. New guys start and/or play every year. 2016 class highest ranked since Brew's 2008 class IIRC. Young talent plus some solid upperclassmen returned. Our QB wasn't great, although better than Rhoda. We can play down to low expectations or challenge the guys to become great.

Highest rated class since Brew's 2008 class. That doesn't really mean much. It was ranked 8th in the conference and 46th in the nation.

If we're not worried our current coaches will bolt any moment, we're pining for our old coaches.

This seems unhealthy.

What a low bar to clear. It was still an average B1G defense, which is why the Gophers were a mediocre program under Kill/Claeys. Most B1G teams have good defenses.

So predictable coming from you

My thesis is that the Kill/Claeys era was slightly above average.

PE versus JG in these battle of football minds is a little like Granada versus the US as far as actually knowing football.

Low bar. Ok. My statement is fact.

What you got now? No bar.

It is ok to admit pj is Flekking this year up weather. From 9 wins to this.

Elite.

Facts? Yes I know.

And where were our defenses ranked prior to them being here?
The defensive play the past 5 years has been the best MN has had in the past 50 years, that is a fact.
Your lack of acknowledgement to that FACT just shows your bias and dislike for Kill/Claeys. Which is odd considering we were consistently in games and won more than we had in a long time. We were not top of the league, but we were respectable and a difficult team to play against and beat, which can't be said for many years prior to that.
Can only hope that PJ can get us to the next level.

Low bar. Ok. My statement is fact.

What you got now? No bar.

It is ok to admit pj is Flekking this year up weather. From 9 wins to this.

Elite.

I mean, we've given up fewer PPG and yds/game so far this season than in 2016...

Pivot. Qualifier. Personal jab is next. Whatever it takes to fool yourself, just know that nobody else here is...

To the Claeysites, here's my question: were you ultimately satisfied with the results of the program during the past 6 years?

And where were our defenses ranked prior to them being here?
The defensive play the past 5 years has been the best MN has had in the past 50 years, that is a fact.
Your lack of acknowledgement to that FACT just shows your bias and dislike for Kill/Claeys. Which is odd considering we were consistently in games and won more than we had in a long time. We were not top of the league, but we were respectable and a difficult team to play against and beat, which can't be said for many years prior to that.
Can only hope that PJ can get us to the next level.

False, Mason's defense in 1999 was better than any of Claeys' defenses.

When looking at the Gophers S&P ranking compared to the rest of the B1G over the past 6 seasons, the Gophers on average had the 8th best defense in the conference. Their highest ranking was last year, but it was still only 6th best in the conference. That is a fact. Those rankings closely compare to other defensive stats.

Their offense's average S&P ranking was 8.33 over past 6 seasons, so only slightly worse than the defense when comparing them to the rest of the B1G.

The average rankings of ~8 out of 12/14 teams, make sense when Kill/Claeys combined conference record was 20-29.

Again, I don't have a bias or dislike for Claeys/Kill. I do dislike it when the biggest Claeysists such as yourself want to vastly overrate what the previous regime accomplished. We've been a mediocre program since Mason took over and we still are today. There's plenty of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.

Pivot. Qualifier. Personal jab is next. Whatever it takes to fool yourself, just know that nobody else here is...

Laughable coming from the poster who's predictions have been wrong every single time. I'm rooting for you to just get one right though.

To the Claeysites, here's my question: were you ultimately satisfied with the results of the program during the past 6 years?

Vs the Brewster and nearly every Mason season? Yes.

If you are talking about cons titles and nat titles, then no. Of course not.

Fact is the d was really very good most of the past 6 seasons. The OFFENSE was the issue.

False, Mason's defense in 1999 was better than any of Claeys' defenses.

When looking at the Gophers S&P ranking compared to the rest of the B1G over the past 6 seasons, the Gophers on average had the 8th best defense in the conference. Their highest ranking was last year, but it was still only 6th best in the conference. That is a fact. Those rankings closely compare to other defensive stats.

Their offense's average S&P ranking was 8.33 over past 6 seasons, so only slightly worse than the defense when comparing them to the rest of the B1G.

The average rankings of ~8 out of 12/14 teams, make sense when Kill/Claeys combined conference record was 20-29.

Again, I don't have a bias or dislike for Claeys/Kill. I do dislike it when the biggest Claeysists such as yourself want to vastly overrate what the previous regime accomplished. We've been a mediocre program since Mason took over and we still are today. There's plenty of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.

ONLY 6th. Hmmm.

How many games did the D win for the team over the past 6 seasons?

The OFFENSE was the problem.

Way too early for this thread. Don't start another worthless thread like this one though.

Top Bottom