Next petition bring back Jay Sawvel or better DC

Flecknation

Reaction score
Since my last petition about Croft worked maybe this would work as well. Our DC is nothing compared to when Jay was here. Time to rally together and get our Elite defense back. If he was here still we wouldn't have depth issues.

Your shtick isn't working. Try something else.

I loved sawvel he’s a DB guru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved sawvel he’s a DB guru

That he was. As bad as the previous staff was with the offense - they were that good with the defense. Hopefully PJ can bring us better balance.

Methinks Jay Sawvel's and PJ Fleck's personalities would not mesh well.

Since my last petition about Croft worked maybe this would work as well. Our DC is nothing compared to when Jay was here. Time to rally together and get our Elite defense back. If he was here still we wouldn't have depth issues.

I was wondering when the blue birds are going to start singing. Be patient.

Sawvel was the big loss from the Kill/Claeys group, he's doing a great job with Wake Forest too.

Biggest mistake was losing Sawvel and picking up a guy who got regressive as a DC at Arkansas...

Sawvels DBs are also a part of the reason why Sawvel and Claeys no longer have jobs here and why we have massive holes at DB.

Could lack of depth and players playing outside of their ideal position have something to do with it? If we have he same issue in two years, I'll sign your petition. That said, what Clays n staff did in last year's bowl game w the player suspensions was impressive.

While I do think the defense looks to have taken a couple steps backwards, I'd like to see that 4 qtr offense working for an entire game.

Last three games the TOP has been pretty slanted to the opponents...especially last night. Get that even or in Goph's favor and I suspect it will perform better than has been shown in these games.

two sides to this issue. you have players recruited by Kill and Claeys for their system, who are now playing in a different system - which they may not be as well suited for.

Like it or not, this is a transition year. To fully judge the effectiveness of an OC or a DC, you have to be able to see their recruits playing in their system. If we get three years down the road, and the defense is still having issues, then you look more closely at the coaching - specifically schemes and techniques.

Now, do I think the defense would be playing better under Sawvell - coaching his system - yes. But, Sawvell would be dealing with the same personnel, so he might have had some of the same issues. I think he might have been able to do some things schematically to minimize those issues. But, we'll never know.

Sawvels DBs are also a part of the reason why Sawvel and Claeys no longer have jobs here and why we have massive holes at DB.

Holier than thou minn.

Sawvel and Claeys appear to be head and shoulders above pj’ s guys.

It's waaaay too early for this kind of wailing and gnashing of teeth. We've had two recruiting classes that were not up to par, almost missing. The first under Claeys and PJ's first after about 2 weeks notice. This team has noe depth and at some positions has no players at all, like DE.

This will take a little patience. Hiring a new coach is an event. Turning around a program is a process. The process has just barely begun.

While I do think the defense looks to have taken a couple steps backwards, I'd like to see that 4 qtr offense working for an entire game.

Last three games the TOP has been pretty slanted to the opponents...especially last night. Get that even or in Goph's favor and I suspect it will perform better than has been shown in these games.

I do put some of the regressive D to blame on the stalling offense putting the D on the field WAY too much..

Why not wish to exhume and reanimate Murray Warmath's 1960 staff? Its a no less ridiculous wish.

Fleck has torn apart a 9 win team. Where there has some improvement in coaching in a few aspects, overall it has taken a huge hit. Add to the grossly inappropriate action of the U to the disgusting "recruiting" event. There has been a lot of self-inflicted damage to the program. You simply do not pay a coach $3.5M to tear apart a program. That is what you pay someone to tune up and improve a good program. 9 wins is a good program and one that is getting ready to win the trophy games.

It's waaaay too early for this kind of wailing and gnashing of teeth. We've had two recruiting classes that were not up to par, almost missing. The first under Claeys and PJ's first after about 2 weeks notice. This team has noe depth and at some positions has no players at all, like DE.

This will take a little patience. Hiring a new coach is an event. Turning around a program is a process. The process has just barely begun.

it's not a turnaround. Defense has been on the field way too much the last three games.

Fleck has torn apart a 9 win team. Where there has some improvement in coaching in a few aspects, overall it has taken a huge hit. Add to the grossly inappropriate action of the U to the disgusting "recruiting" event. There has been a lot of self-inflicted damage to the program. You simply do not pay a coach $3.5M to tear apart a program. That is what you pay someone to tune up and improve a good program. 9 wins is a good program and one that is getting ready to win the trophy games.

I know it's been ages and you may have forgotten, but we won 5 games in 2015. By your logic, Kill/Claeys tore apart an 8 win Citrus bowl team. Thank god we fired that staff.

Will-Ferrell-Thats-dumb.gif

I know it's been ages and you may have forgotten, but we won 5 games in 2015. By your logic, Kill/Claeys tore apart an 8 win Citrus bowl team. Thank god we fired that staff.

To be fair, we had a very difficult schedule and did win the "gimmes" in 2015. Even Northwestern was 10-3 in 2015. This year we've lost winnable games vs teams we should beat (I realize this is arguable). There have been issues in all 3 phases that led to the losses, and IMO (and others) the coaches have been some part of that thus far. Obviously we have to give a mullligan of some sort due to all the injuries.

I'm optimistic everyone in the program is growing and learning and am optimistic there's still a fair chance for a bowl season. Still optimistic we can bring in good players and get better going forward.

I agree in theory because it's a lot of the same Jimmy and Joe's struggling this year that have been either starting or in the two deeps the last couple of years. Won't happen though. From all of their Northern days they don't like Fleck and Fleck doesn't like them

Jay Sawvel and Claeys lost to Michigan 58-0 in year 1. In year 1, everyone on here who now thinks Kill, Claeys and Sawvel are the greatest coaches ever were questioning why we hired a MAC staff. The last staff beat 1 top 25 team in 6 years. They were 0-6 vs Wisky.

Seriously, if that's the mountaintop, please let me know and I'll go find a new hobby.

Typically that would be the case but the Gophers didn't recruit like an ascending program. That was a hell of a senior class we graduated last year and the issue is the talent after those guys were largely freshmen last year. Now we are turning to a group of sophomores to lead a team and you always are going to run into problems when that's the case. There's always inconsistency and growing pains with young teams but these guys will probably be better in a year or two because of it.

Patience man.

Jay Sawvel and Claeys lost to Michigan 58-0 in year 1. In year 1, everyone on here who now thinks Kill, Claeys and Sawvel are the greatest coaches ever were questioning why we hired a MAC staff. The last staff beat 1 top 25 team in 6 years. They were 0-6 vs Wisky.

Seriously, if that's the mountaintop, please let me know and I'll go find a new hobby.

It is funny how people forget the blown leads to Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin last year. The Iowa loss was more on the offense not putting up points but in the other games the defense kind of fell apart in the second half. Can't forget how ugly the Rutgers game was either.

To be fair, we had a very difficult schedule and did win the "gimmes" in 2015. Even Northwestern was 10-3 in 2015. This year we've lost winnable games vs teams we should beat (I realize this is arguable). There have been issues in all 3 phases that led to the losses, and IMO (and others) the coaches have been some part of that thus far. Obviously we have to give a mullligan of some sort due to all the injuries.

I'm optimistic everyone in the program is growing and learning and am optimistic there's still a fair chance for a bowl season. Still optimistic we can bring in good players and get better going forward.

And last year we had a very easy schedule. We've lost one game that were favored in this year. We won one game that were under dogs in.

That line on the OSU game is still the most head scratching thing I've ever seen. Easiest money I've ever made.

We also won the games we were supposed to win last year. The Gophers had some crazy record ATS during the K-C era. Someone probably remembers it.

Lol they didn't have nearly the talent Fleck inherited. And that Michigan team won the Sugar Bowl. Purdue and Maryland will be lucky to get to a bowl game. That same gopher team beat a pretty good Iowa team as well

Top Bottom