Michigan State Postgame Presser Notes

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck
On MSU running game:
Did what MSU does, run the ball. Had lots of success on the toss came back with zone to the backside. Didn’t hold the point of attack very well and lost contain. Need DB’s to come up and help support the run.

Tale of two halfs. Thought defense played well in first half, defense played poorly. Second half the opposite; offense played better, defense not as much. Lost contain and didn’t tackle well many times. Anytime you can hold them to FGs, it’s a win. Had to make more plays on offense.

On going to Croft:
Felt like with Crofts legs, that he could create plays more. Has to think about starting Croft. No decision yet. Has to do what’s best for the football team.

On having Duke back at safety:
Thought there were times he looked good and times he looked rusty. Can’t miss time practicing or you lose it quickly.

On seeing a difference after Crofts suspension:
Says he has seen a difference. But trust is built over a long time.

Jon Celestin
Getting to the edge. We didn’t do our jobs together. We needed people to set the edge and we didn’t do that.

Thomas keeps developing each week...I’m happy Thomas is starting to develop into a nice mike-linebacker.

What happened happened today...We’re going to put our oars in the water and keep rowing against Illinois next week.

Ty Johnson
It was a lack of focus on the bobble TD. If I had focused more, it would have been a clean catch. Still glad to score the TD.

Our preparation this week was key, We knew going into this game the matchups. Gotta give credit to the coaching staff.

I would say, me finding openings, have to give a lot of credit to Coach Simon. Have to give him lots of credit.

We’re just going to keep rowing from here. We have to trust the process. Have to come back tomorrow and get ready for next week.

And now, some thoughts from Bob Dylan:

Some speak of the future
My love, she speaks softly
She knows there's no success like failure
And that failure's no success at all

"Has to think about starting Croft."...Do what is best for the program??......What is best is winning games and putting fans in the seats...Failure on both PJ.....Your boy Captain Conor should have never played this year.

"Has to think about starting Croft."...Do what is best for the program??......What is best is winning games and putting fans in the seats...Failure on both PJ.....Your boy Captain Conor should have never played this year.

Yeah, either he's paid his dues or he hasn't. Get over it PJ. This sort of talk reminds me of the nagging wife always reminding her henpecked husband how he's screwed up.

Yeah, either he's paid his dues or he hasn't. Get over it PJ. This sort of talk reminds me of the nagging wife always reminding her henpecked husband how he's screwed up.

He will start Croft. My take is he doesn't want to bash Rhoda with a "hell yes we are gonna start DC11. Didn't you see how much better he was?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.J. Fleck
On having Duke back at safety:
Thought there were times he looked good and times he looked rusty. Can’t miss time practicing or you lose it quickly.

Why when a player is suspended are they not practicing? I get the need to set the tone and what your expectations are, by suspending guys for doing things they shouldn't. Not having them practice doesn't make sense as it:
-Hurts their development, when they do return. Getting practice reps keeps them sharp.
-Keeps them away from the team and coaches, limiting the positive influence that could help them return.

Why when a player is suspended are they not practicing? I get the need to set the tone and what your expectations are, by suspending guys for doing things they shouldn't. Not having them practice doesn't make sense as it:
-Hurts their development, when they do return. Getting practice reps keeps them sharp.
-Keeps them away from the team and coaches, limiting the positive influence that could help them return.

Because every school suspends players from team activities?

Hurting their teammates and their personal development should be the main motivation to not do something.

You can blame the coaches for holding the players accountable to the rules but I don’t quite get it. Especially in this first year it is key to establish what it means to be a Gopher student athlete.
I am hoping Duke and Demry both learned something beyond football. They both should have bright futures ahead, and I’m glad we have a coach that is willing to teach them.
In my opinion those bashing Fleck for suspending these two should be disappointed in these guys letting their team mates down earlier.

No problem with suspensions, but he needs to move past it if the punishment was served. There are plenty of on the field issues to complain about PJ thus far...

I found it interesting after making a huge deal of trying to pick up a fumble he still ran Rhoda out for another 4-5 series. Way to show the team he's a man of his word.

No problem with suspensions, but he needs to move past it if the punishment was served. There are plenty of on the field issues to complain about PJ thus far...

I found it interesting after making a huge deal of trying to pick up a fumble he still ran Rhoda out for another 4-5 series. Way to show the team he's a man of his word.

That's my take as well. Once they are back in the fold, they are back, period. Snap the line and move forward.

Hurting their teammates and their personal development should be the main motivation to not do something.

I don't have any problem with the suspensions. I'm asking why are they not practicing during the suspension?
Croft was taking part in community service while he was suspended so he was taking part in team activities. Why would they not have them practice, run scout team reps and be able to work on individual drills as well as stay in physical shape and continue lifting. Suspend them from dressing and participating in games, but removing them from practice doesn't make sense.

I don't have any problem with the suspensions. I'm asking why are they not practicing during the suspension?
Croft was taking part in community service while he was suspended so he was taking part in team activities. Why would they not have them practice, run scout team reps and be able to work on individual drills as well as stay in physical shape and continue lifting. Suspend them from dressing and participating in games, but removing them from practice doesn't make sense.

I think it’s pretty typical with college and high school sports that when you are suspended you are away from the team. That’s part of the loss of privilege.

Okay yep I agree with that.
And I also noticed Rhoda doing what Croft was admonished for.

I also think I may have been very wrong on writing off Croft’s ability to throw strikes. His throwing motion is more wrist and different looking but laid some nice passes into guys chests last night.
I’m a lot more excited for the upcoming games now.

I think it’s pretty typical with college and high school sports that when you are suspended you are away from the team. That’s part of the loss of privilege.

No it is not typical at the HS level. Players who are suspended are still allowed to practice.
I am not sure what the rule is in college. If it's an individual school choice, a conference choice or an NCAA choice(if it's this one, then considering the UNCaa decision, let students in clubs still participate in clubs if they have infractions and then players can still practice [emoji12])
Practice is hard and not real enjoyable if you know you have no chance of playing. Having a few weeks off is not as big of a punishment

No it is not typical at the HS level. Players who are suspended are still allowed to practice.
I am not sure what the rule is in college. If it's an individual school choice, a conference choice or an NCAA choice(if it's this one, then considering the UNCaa decision, let students in clubs still participate in clubs if they have infractions and then players can still practice [emoji12])
Practice is hard and not real enjoyable if you know you have no chance of playing. Having a few weeks off is not as big of a punishment

Why would you run practice with a player who you know is not going to play that week? McGhee taking reps away from a player who is actually going to play is pretty dumb.

A couple of positives from last night. I thought moving Ayinde to corner was a smart move and he seemed to play well. Williams had some plays at receiver and the o line continued to pass protect well.

A couple of positives from last night. I thought moving Ayinde to corner was a smart move and he seemed to play well. Williams had some plays at receiver and the o line continued to pass protect well.

Ayinde... very respectable coverage, really good run support at times.

Why would you run practice with a player who you know is not going to play that week? McGhee taking reps away from a player who is actually going to play is pretty dumb.

Are you that clueless?
In a practice, there are individual practice times, group practice times, and team practice times. During individual time those suspended players can still be getting reps like they would at anytime during the year - just like 2nd, 3rd and 4th team guys get. During group times, they can also get some reps in, but it would be less as starters and 2nd team players get more work. During team time, who is going to run the opposing teams offense or defense? Not the starters, but 3rd/4th teamers, and the suspended guys could be doing that as well. None of those things would take time away from anyone that is going to play. The suspended guys are then still getting football practice reps in and staying in the flow of playing football. Completely being away from the team is only hurting the team when they return as it will take them time to acclimate to playing again.

Are you that clueless?
In a practice, there are individual practice times, group practice times, and team practice times. During individual time those suspended players can still be getting reps like they would at anytime during the year - just like 2nd, 3rd and 4th team guys get. During group times, they can also get some reps in, but it would be less as starters and 2nd team players get more work. During team time, who is going to run the opposing teams offense or defense? Not the starters, but 3rd/4th teamers, and the suspended guys could be doing that as well. None of those things would take time away from anyone that is going to play. The suspended guys are then still getting football practice reps in and staying in the flow of playing football. Completely being away from the team is only hurting the team when they return as it will take them time to acclimate to playing again.

So they should take reps away from 3rd and 4th teamers? We haven't needed them at all during games at DB have we?

It's pretty common for suspended players to not participate in practice. Your argument is what is clueless.

So they should take reps away from 3rd and 4th teamers? We haven't needed them at all during games at DB have we?

It's pretty common for suspended players to not participate in practice. Your argument is what is clueless.

Still clueless.
First team guy is suspended from games, so all other guys move up 1 spot. 2nd teamer is starter, 3rd teamer is now 2nd team, 4th teamer is now 3rd. Suspended guy goes to 4th team. 1st and 2nd team guys get all the reps in team activities and 3rd and 4th teamers get to take reps as scout team. Once in awhile they may even put the 3rd team guy in for a couple plays on D, just so they are familiar with the schemes of that week. All the guys are still getting the same number of reps during individual time. Group time the guys who are playing are getting more reps and in team time the guys who are playing are getting all the reps and those who are not still get some reps as the scout team.
See how that works.
In fact, this actually helps the guys who are going to play even more, because the scout team suspended guys don't need any scheme reps at all, giving the guys who will or might play all the team reps in practice.
One, more for you to dispute. Lets say the starting OL all get "suspended" Under your brilliant idea of them not practicing, we may end up having to use starters or 2nd team guys on the scout team just to give the D a correct look during the week. Would that be beneficial?

Claeys would never have done it.

Still clueless.
First team guy is suspended from games, so all other guys move up 1 spot. 2nd teamer is starter, 3rd teamer is now 2nd team, 4th teamer is now 3rd. Suspended guy goes to 4th team. 1st and 2nd team guys get all the reps in team activities and 3rd and 4th teamers get to take reps as scout team. Once in awhile they may even put the 3rd team guy in for a couple plays on D, just so they are familiar with the schemes of that week. All the guys are still getting the same number of reps during individual time. Group time the guys who are playing are getting more reps and in team time the guys who are playing are getting all the reps and those who are not still get some reps as the scout team.
See how that works.
In fact, this actually helps the guys who are going to play even more, because the scout team suspended guys don't need any scheme reps at all, giving the guys who will or might play all the team reps in practice.
One, more for you to dispute. Lets say the starting OL all get "suspended" Under your brilliant idea of them not practicing, we may end up having to use starters or 2nd team guys on the scout team just to give the D a correct look during the week. Would that be beneficial?
So your idea of a suspension is really a demotion, not a suspension. That is all.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

So your idea of a suspension is really a demotion, not a suspension. That is all.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

No
Someone who is demoted still has a chance to play on Saturday. A player suspended doesn't.

He was away from the team, not just suspended from a single game or two.

It is if he takes it seriously and wants to play again. Do you think he was just watching TV and partying for those two weeks?

That wasn't the topic. Read my posts in this.
He could take it just as seriously and have a desire to play again if all he gets to do is practice, plus he would also be continuing to develop as a player at his position.

Yes, I found that rather curious as well....

I think people have to remember that this is a post-game, meaning pretty much immediately after the game. I think everyone would have different or other things to say after reviewing the game a few times. I think it was Gagliardi who said something to the effect of "I must not know a lot about football and everyone watching knows a lot because it usually takes me 3 or 4 times to watch to know what happened."

Top Bottom