Onside Kicks. Why not....

Dakota Gopher

Reaction score
Over the last few years I have seen pathetic onside kicks by our Gophs. which makes me wonder...why not use our 3rd string kicker (or ANYONE ELSE on the team) to practice 100 onside kicks every day. Wouldn't a person get incredibly good at putting the onside kick very close to the same place every time - and give us a much better chance to recover?

So many different variables when it comes to the onside kick. Tough to do. I do agree though that we've seen some pathetic attempts.

Over the last few years I have seen pathetic onside kicks by our Gophs. which makes me wonder...why not use our 3rd string kicker (or ANYONE ELSE on the team) to practice 100 onside kicks every day. Wouldn't a person get incredibly good at putting the onside kick very close to the same place every time - and give us a much better chance to recover?

Blame Kirk Ferentz. His whining made it much harder to recover onside kicks.

Onside kicks are recovered about 1 in 10 times when the other team expects it and slightly higher when unexpected. The odds of success are terrible.

It's an Elite idea, if our 3rd string kicker sits in the first row in class.

I can't see why something like a 12 yd kick 50' high or so in the middle of the field should never be tried?!?,.

I can't see why something like a 12 yd kick 50' high or so in the middle of the field should never be tried?!?,.

The receiving team could call fair catch on a high kick. That's one of the reasons you see the ball kicked on the ground first, along with the bounce being unpredictable to catch. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see successful onside kicks for the team I'm rooting for.

The receiving team could call fair catch on a high kick. That's one of the reasons you see the ball kicked on the ground first, along with the bounce being unpredictable to catch. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see successful onside kicks for the team I'm rooting for.

Makes total sense.

How about putting two kickers out there so the opposing team doesn't know which side it's going to?

How about putting two kickers out there so the opposing team doesn't know which side it's going to?

Because then you have 9 guys going to recover it instead of 10?
There are about 9000 different things you could do on an onside kick. At the end of the day it was a pretty good kick that took a high bounce that unfortunately went right to a defender. Pretty well executed I thought.

Because then you have 9 guys going to recover it instead of 10?
There are about 9000 different things you could do on an onside kick. At the end of the day it was a pretty good kick that took a high bounce that unfortunately went right to a defender. Pretty well executed I thought.
It wasn't really a serious idea. However it would space out their players more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back in the early 80's, Bud Grant said that, if he had a lifetime contract, he'd onside kick every kickoff. So when they brought him back from retirement in 1985, they gave him a lifetime contract and...he didn't do it, of course. I do remember one preseason game in that time frame, though, when he did onside kick every one except for the last one.

Top Bottom