Sid Hartman: Bob Knight welcomes FBI's cleansing of college basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

You have to go back to the Mitchell Report, when former Maine Sen. George Mitchell conducted a 20-month investigation into steroid use in baseball, to find an event like the two-year FBI investigation into college basketball recruiting that is currently rocking the sports world.

There are many who believe that college basketball will never be the same, but former Indiana coach Bob Knight said that he for one is not surprised by the announcement. “There have been enough problems over the years,” he said. “I’m kind of glad there have been some corrections made.”

Did the second-winningest coach in NCAA history have any doubts about the allegations of $100,000 payouts to recruits through shoe company employees and coaches?

“The way you have to look at it is the people who have investigated that, it’s not some local law enforcement operation. It’s the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” he said. “When the FBI gets involved in something I think that they are certain with what’s going on. Apparently, that has been going on for some time. Now the FBI has gotten into it and is going to do an awful lot to really hurt basketball, but I think it’ll be good for basketball to get rid of all of that stuff.”

http://www.startribune.com/bob-knight-welcomes-fbi-s-cleansing-of-college-basketball/450929953/

Go Gophers!!

I appreciate the post but honestly I don't care at all about what that asshole has to say. His is not an opinion I choose to hold with any regard on any subject, basketball or otherwise.

per Sid:

You have to go back to the Mitchell Report, when former Maine Sen. George Mitchell conducted a 20-month investigation into steroid use in baseball, to find an event like the two-year FBI investigation into college basketball recruiting that is currently rocking the sports world.

There are many who believe that college basketball will never be the same, but former Indiana coach Bob Knight said that he for one is not surprised by the announcement. “There have been enough problems over the years,” he said. “I’m kind of glad there have been some corrections made.”

Did the second-winningest coach in NCAA history have any doubts about the allegations of $100,000 payouts to recruits through shoe company employees and coaches?

“The way you have to look at it is the people who have investigated that, it’s not some local law enforcement operation. It’s the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” he said. “When the FBI gets involved in something I think that they are certain with what’s going on. Apparently, that has been going on for some time. Now the FBI has gotten into it and is going to do an awful lot to really hurt basketball, but I think it’ll be good for basketball to get rid of all of that stuff.”

http://www.startribune.com/bob-knight-welcomes-fbi-s-cleansing-of-college-basketball/450929953/

Go Gophers!!

Clean up What? You apparently can do whatever you want!

I appreciate the post but honestly I don't care at all about what that asshole has to say. His is not an opinion I choose to hold with any regard on any subject, basketball or otherwise.

I'm pretty sure you're not the only one to feel that way. But this is Sid we're talking about. He and Knight have been buddies forever and it was only a matter of time before they both stopped yelling at the clouds long enough to chime in on this supposed "cleansing" of college hoops.

I personally welcomed when college basketball cleansed itself of Bob Knight.

I personally welcomed when college basketball cleansed itself of Bob Knight.

Real moral conundrum with a guy who was a complete butthead as a human being, but by all accounts followed the rules of fair play, even if not the rules of being a decent human being. As much of a jerk as RMK was, I'll take him over crooks and self-righteous guys like Roy Williams.

Real moral conundrum with a guy who was a complete butthead as a human being, but by all accounts followed the rules of fair play, even if not the rules of being a decent human being. As much of a jerk as RMK was, I'll take him over crooks and self-righteous guys like Roy Williams.

Meh, he was the worst kind of jerk. He was a bully who preached discipline and self-control, yet he couldn't (or wouldn't) control his own impulses. He choked a player, threw a plant at a secretary, assaulted a police officer, verbally abused countless people, and, while on zero-tolerance probation issued by his boss, STILL couldn't keep himself from grabbing a student because of a perceived slight. To me, his was (and still is) an egregious a-hole, and that overshadows any fair play he may have exhibited on the court.

Meh, he was the worst kind of jerk. He was a bully who preached discipline and self-control, yet he couldn't (or wouldn't) control his own impulses. He choked a player, threw a plant at a secretary, assaulted a police officer, verbally abused countless people, and, while on zero-tolerance probation issued by his boss, STILL couldn't keep himself from grabbing a student because of a perceived slight. To me, his was (and still is) an egregious a-hole, and that overshadows any fair play he may have exhibited on the court.

Can't argue that. If I have to choose between him and Rev. Roy, I'm still taking RMK, though.

Top Bottom