[POST GAME THREAD] - Michigan State defeats Minnesota 30-27

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Your solution is to play a 300 lb DT on the edge when it's 1st and 10?

If the offense is playing an extra OL and TE, why not? Especially when what we were doing wasn't working to stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, that's what Gary Andersen's mantra was, just saying. Trust the results and incremental improvement. Fleck has 3 yrs at a minimum unless the team really implodes.

With better first half offense, the game maybe turns differently.

We turned it over at our 5 yard line and essentially spotted them a TD. Allowed 30 points.
We allowed 365 yards.
We lost the TOP battle.

Perhaps we improve on offense and figure some things out on defense, moving forward. Winnable games vs pretty much everyone except WI at this point.

We had 74 rushing yards, which is awful. Teams at rush for anemic yardage total like that almost never win.

With better first half offense, the game maybe turns differently.

We turned it over at our 5 yard line and essentially spotted them a TD. Allowed 30 points.
We allowed 365 yards.
We lost the TOP battle.

Perhaps we improve on offense and figure some things out on defense, moving forward. Winnable games vs pretty much everyone except WI at this point.

If we get 7 on that first possession instead of 3, we win by one, right?

Simply saying by playing from behind we allow them the luxury of running leisurely drives and killing clock. Once they went up big in the 3rd it was pretty much game over. The 4th quarter comback was a pleasant surprise.

I to would put Stetler at left defensive end. Then cover him with 21 or 45.Stetlers job would be to set the edge and string. Let the rover or Okie backer clean up. Gotta play a 5 2 front with not enough defensive ends. Settler played some end S a freshman so it would not be unheard of for him to play in space. Kinect should move from tight end to DE. Need a longer armed guy to spell Ulmor. Free up Coughlin off the line and you will see him free to set edge. Celestin and Barber can hold up in this format. Just rotate Moore and Jackson at tackle.

You must know what the suspension was for? Or do you just prefer that there be no consequences for breaking team rules?[/QUOTE

Caught smoking weed? Thought we all knew....

From the BB scandal unfolding (and Cam Newton saga), we have some teams buying cars and paying players' families thousands of dollars and we are suspending kids for 3 games for smoking weed - yet, some expect Fleck to recruit at a level that will make us NC contenders. Good luck with that.

The first half offense (first quarter especially) was baffling. After the punt fumble, we were inside the 10 and didn't run once? Twice we accidentally kneed the ball for loss of yards? Body language looked like we didn't know what we were doing. These guys need to grow up in a hurry. 4th quarter garbage time they looked promising. Got the ball to Brooks and Smith in space. Johnson's 3 TDs looked good. Barber was impressive on D, but not much good on that side of the ball.

Let's tee off on Illinois next week and regroup. Tough sledding ahead.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Looking forward to Homecoming. The weather look nice and maybe our offense found an identity.

I was surprised we didn't see Justus Harris or Rey Estes.

Well, that's what Gary Andersen's mantra was, just saying. Trust the results and incremental improvement. Fleck has 3 yrs at a minimum unless the team really implodes.

Yup. Makes me nervous to say the least. Don't forget, "I know it works because we did it before."

I was surprised we didn't see Justus Harris or Rey Estes.

Same here. Not only that but moving Ayinde to corner was a puzzling move when they first went out on D as he has struggled in the pass game when playing safety. But, he played rather well at corner last night. MSU didn't throw a ton, but he did make some plays and when I was watching him specifically on some plays he was covering his guy/area well.
Would like to see them do the same up front on D, by moving one of the DT's out to DE for some stretches, especially when a team trots out 2 TE looks. With the amount of substituting that goes on between every play and the rule that allows the D to make changes if the offense does, it would seem to be in our D's best interest to get bigger players out there when we know the other team is in a heavy run set.

Another week of we’re just not physical enough on the O and D lines and it just kind of makes it tough from there. Encouraged by the play in the secondary. Encouraged by Croft but I felt like a few of his passes and throw always could have been picked so time will tell I guess. I do like his mobility and with the O line banged up I feel he’s the way to go here on out. D really needs to tackle better. Where’s Cody Poock been? He’s a pretty good tackler. Just seems like he could get some playing time out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another week of we’re just not physical enough on the O and D lines and it just kind of makes it tough from there. Encouraged by the play in the secondary. Encouraged by Croft but I felt like a few of his passes and throw always could have been picked so time will tell I guess. I do like his mobility and with the O line banged up I feel he’s the way to go here on out. D really needs to tackle better. Where’s Cody Poock been? He’s a pretty good tackler. Just seems like he could get some playing time out there.

You must have missed the KR where he whiffed on the guy at about the 15 and it turned into a long return.
He is a good LB, and with the way Barber, Celestin and Martin were getting tired, we should have sent some of the #2's out at times to get them a breather on those long drives.

You must have missed the KR where he whiffed on the guy at about the 15 and it turned into a long return.
He is a good LB, and with the way Barber, Celestin and Martin were getting tired, we should have sent some of the #2's out at times to get them a breather on those long drives.

I did miss that! Doh!

Yup. Makes me nervous to say the least. Don't forget, "I know it works because we did it before."

Particularly when the scenarios are apples and oranges. Honestly feels like there is an odd and slavish adherence to some script - this game were going to only run inside no matter what they're doing on defense, we will not burn red shirts after game 4, need to make examples of certain players, a belief year 1 doesn't really matter - that cost us at least 2 games so far. Obviously we all hope and pray he knows what he's doing but from the outside looks like gave away some games.

I to would put Stetler at left defensive end. Then cover him with 21 or 45.Stetlers job would be to set the edge and string. Let the rover or Okie backer clean up. Gotta play a 5 2 front with not enough defensive ends. Settler played some end S a freshman so it would not be unheard of for him to play in space. Kinect should move from tight end to DE. Need a longer armed guy to spell Ulmor. Free up Coughlin off the line and you will see him free to set edge. Celestin and Barber can hold up in this format. Just rotate Moore and Jackson at tackle.
I wouldn't be opposed to that, at least in non-passing situations.

In spite of the loss, I see a team that will grow from this experience. In failure, the team is learning how to succeed.

In spite of the loss, I see a team that will grow from this experience. In failure, the team is learning how to succeed.

Given a choice, I would rather see them learn from a victory. I would hope they already understood that fumbling, missing tackles and blowing special teams coverage is not good. If they have to lose games to learn those lessons, then it's really going to be a long season.

What's up with Stelter #99 getting minimal time at DT? Senior who's played a lot for 3 years. He's not a guy who's going to put pressure on QB but he's really good against the run and doesn't make mistakes.

Same here. Not only that but moving Ayinde to corner was a puzzling move when they first went out on D as he has struggled in the pass game when playing safety. But, he played rather well at corner last night. MSU didn't throw a ton, but he did make some plays and when I was watching him specifically on some plays he was covering his guy/area well.
Would like to see them do the same up front on D, by moving one of the DT's out to DE for some stretches, especially when a team trots out 2 TE looks. With the amount of substituting that goes on between every play and the rule that allows the D to make changes if the offense does, it would seem to be in our D's best interest to get bigger players out there when we know the other team is in a heavy run set.

Agree 100% that's what good coaching would do. MSU did not change their offense for us. They use off. Lineman and def. Lineman as TE's. 45 and 22 have been getting knocked around all year when they run right at them. Why in the heck did we not match personnel is mind boggling for these guys.

Agree 100% that's what good coaching would do. MSU did not change their offense for us. They use off. Lineman and def. Lineman as TE's. 45 and 21 have been getting knocked around all year when they run right at them. Why in the heck did we not match personnel is mind boggling for these guys.

Agree 100% that's what good coaching would do. MSU did not change their offense for us. They use off. Lineman and def. Lineman as TE's. 45 and 21 have been getting knocked around all year when they run right at them. Why in the heck did we not match personnel is mind boggling for these guys.

You are correct regarding Ayinde. He cover his position in competent fashion last night. Pretty good pass coverage and very good run support.

Yeah well, think I've heard "the only thing you learn from losing is losing", or something like that.

Top Bottom