Who should Fleck start at QB in Gophers game vs Illinois?

Who should Fleck start at QB in Gophers game vs Illinois?

• Conor Rhoda - this is his team to lead as 5th year senior

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Demry Croft - 2nd half performance vs MSU shows he should lead team

Votes: 115 90.6%
  • Whomever has a better week of practice should get job

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

Not sure if you are serious or not but he is back at SW Miss CC and appears to be playing WR.

He isn't. Someone must have said they thought NM was gonna be good so now JG finds that funny. Similar to how I would find it funny had he "educated" me on how Silver would never redshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He isn't. Someone must have said they thought NM was gonna be good so now JG finds that funny. Similar to how I would find it funny had he "educated" me on how Silver would never redshirt.

They had every intention of playing Silver until GM emerged this fall...

They had every intention of playing Silver until GM emerged this fall...

Of course they did. Whatever makes you sleep at night. Confusing why PJ made a point of mentioning he was a 3 to play 2 guy and how that was important at the signing social and likely 2 to 3 more times on post signing day interviews. Misdirection spoiled by that pesky GM19.

Of course they did. Whatever makes you sleep at night. Confusing why PJ made a point of mentioning he was a 3 to play 2 guy and how that was important at the signing social and likely 2 to 3 more times on post signing day interviews. Misdirection spoiled by that pesky GM19.

The last staff would always mention 3 to play 2 guys and I don't remember them ever redshirting a Juco. It's extremely rare to ever redshirt a Juco.

Not sure if you are serious or not but he is back at SW Miss CC and appears to be playing WR.

Was that the JC guy that people assumed Claeys was banking on to compete against Croft QB this year? If yes, that is amazing he couldn't play QB even at SW Miss CC.

I don't mean this as a slight at all, Rhoda is a good guy for us to have as a back-up QB if needed.

I think the Gophers should stick with Croft, and possibly get Green more snaps in practice time. Play Green in garbage time if there are such opportunities in the remaining games. Rhoda and Green should be both co-2nd string.

I like Rhoda, and I think he epitomizes hard work and dedication to the team. But, Croft is more athletic with the added dimension of a run threat. Invest more time in the QBs that will be here next year and on.

Let's hope that Croft buys in, and have learned valuable lessons while under suspension.

Should be Croft going forward. Really hopes he stops lobbing it in the air under pressure however.

^.... this. Floated a couple while backpedaling....one intending to go out of bounds, damn near didn't make it.

^.... this. Floated a couple while backpedaling....one intending to go out of bounds, damn near didn't make it.

The "floater" that was intercepted was a result of having his arm hit

Why is this poll/question even being asked?

agree, but I'd rather see him make those mistakes, which should be fixable, than watch the offense stagnate. Perhaps a choice of the lesser of two evils, but at least it shows some progress in the implementation of the offense for everyone even if Croft never starts a game next after this year.

Finally a thread where I can find opinions about Gopher QBs. I had thought of starting one myself.

I just watched the replay and I don't understand why anyone would even entertain the idea of not starting Croft. After watching it again I came away really impressed. I could be overly optimistic but to me it looked like the gophers might actually have a playmaker at qb. Kid looked dynamic last night!

I just watched the replay and I don't understand why anyone would even entertain the idea of not starting Croft. After watching it again I came away really impressed. I could be overly optimistic but to me it looked like the gophers might actually have a playmaker at qb. Kid looked dynamic last night!

I totally agree. Anyone who says otherwise was either not watching the fourth quarter, or has some other agenda.

I found it interesting/annoying in the post-game presser to hear Fleck’s answer that he would have to watch film and think about it before he decides who to start against Illinois. Are you kidding me?? That can only be one of two things: Either his pride is too great to admit he has been starting the wrong QB, or he is still trying to punish Croft for his off-field behavior. I sure hope it’s the latter.
Coach needs to realize at this point that he would also be punishing and alienating his fans if he didn’t start Demry.
One more thing: I watched Croft answer questions at the Press conference. He said all the right things and smiled a lot. He seemed like a kid with an infectious personality. Let’s hope he continues where he left off and develops into a leader.

I totally agree. Anyone who says otherwise was either not watching the fourth quarter, or has some other agenda.

I found it interesting/annoying in the post-game presser to hear Fleck’s answer that he would have to watch film and think about it before he decides who to start against Illinois. Are you kidding me?? That can only be one of two things: Either his pride is too great to admit he has been starting the wrong QB, or he is still trying to punish Croft for his off-field behavior. I sure hope it’s the latter.
Coach needs to realize at this point that he would also be punishing and alienating his fans if he didn’t start Demry.
One more thing: I watched Croft answer questions at the Press conference. He said all the right things and smiled a lot. He seemed like a kid with an infectious personality. Let’s hope he continues where he left off and develops into a leader.

I don't think his answer was in regards to either one of your two takes. He said it that way, to still support Rhoda and value his contributions to the team thus far. Had Rhoda done even worse and when he was pulled from the game threw his helmet or yelled at some coaches on the sideline, then I could see PJ saying that Croft was the starter. Rhoda played, not well, but when Croft went in you didn't see Rhoda pouting on the sideline. He handled it with class, so PJ is doing the classy thing and saying he needs to evaluate the film first before making a decision. It gives them some time to see what went well and what went wrong with both in at QB. Finally, it will make Illinois prepare for both of them.

I have no problem starting Croft.

I am skeptical of how much Croft can reproduce the end of a Michigan St. game where the opposing team had a lead, it was rainy, and they basically gave us the middle of the field to play with.....

I'd still take a chance with him, I just don't think it is THAT clear as folks make it out to be as to what you might get out of starting him.

I think it was night and day. I’m actually taken aback by the fact fellow holers aren’t gushing over the kid in the aftermath of the game. In my opinion he didn’t just look ok or even good..he looked great. 3 td passes multiple effective runs and a threat that opened running lanes for our running backs.

Michigan State was playing with a lead, no doubt about that, but they weren’t giving up large portions of the field and they certainly weren’t conceding touchdowns or getting out of the way to let us score.

Either way, if Croft can continue to play like that I think the whole outlook for the rest of the season changes. If nothing else it will be more fun to watch.

I don't think his answer was in regards to either one of your two takes. He said it that way, to still support Rhoda and value his contributions to the team thus far. Had Rhoda done even worse and when he was pulled from the game threw his helmet or yelled at some coaches on the sideline, then I could see PJ saying that Croft was the starter. Rhoda played, not well, but when Croft went in you didn't see Rhoda pouting on the sideline. He handled it with class, so PJ is doing the classy thing and saying he needs to evaluate the film first before making a decision. It gives them some time to see what went well and what went wrong with both in at QB. Finally, it will make Illinois prepare for both of them.

Good take. If so, I applaud coach. I think we should support every player that is giving his best and doing the right things off the field. Rhoda seems like a great kid.

He has to answer that way. Part of coaching is managing egos, there are multiple players here and watching film you can see things that are easy to miss live. With that said it better be Croft

He has to answer that way. Part of coaching is managing egos, there are multiple players here and watching film you can see things that are easy to miss live. With that said it better be Croft

Yeah, makes sense. My thought is press were looking for a hot take from Fleck.

I am skeptical of how much Croft can reproduce the end of a Michigan St. game where the opposing team had a lead, it was rainy, and they basically gave us the middle of the field to play with.....

I'd still take a chance with him, I just don't think it is THAT clear as folks make it out to be as to what you might get out of starting him.

Not sure what you saw but I'd disagree. Croft clearly played better under duress.

I didn't see this at all. I saw a defense that was going full speed and giving nothing. In fact, there was so much pressure I don't doubt that Rhoda would have been sacked several times.

Such a tough question! Gee, I wonder [emoji848]

I want to know of the 6 Rhoda votes how many were not trolls or family members! Can anybody seriously think he should start?

Croft should have been the qb since day one. The whole qb completion in non league was a joke, the better Croft showed the fewer reps he received Then he showed up PJ by going for a long td in kill the clock time and was very quickly suspended. I would have been a little bitter myself. Its definitely time to correct the wrong.rtb

Top Bottom